Author Topic: NPOY Live streaming  (Read 2006 times)

John Lehmann

« on: February 17, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Back by popular demand judging for the NPOY will be live streamed this Saturday. Time TBA.

http://livestre.am/9AH

Cheers

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:46 PM by Ali Ledgerwood »

John Lehmann

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Live streaming starts 10am PST Saturday Feb 21. Good luck everyone!

Jean Levac

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:22 PM »
  Live streaming is really cool but it wants us leaving more!!  Any updates on the nominations?   ;)
J

Offline Richard Ernst

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: NPOY Live streaming
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:45 PM »
All,

We are in the process of compiling the list of nominees for the dozen categories.

This involves a lot of coordination between several people as we publish it on a couple different platforms and the content is a mix of still images, sets of still images and multimedia projects. Some of the tasks we take on are tracking down incomplete information for these nominees, make sure they are members in good standing, build embeds for our NPAC web pages, make sure the press releases contain ALL the pertinent information and is proofed and proofed again. I know most only are concerned about their entries and how they fared in the competition but we need to deal with all of them. Initially it is over two thousand images which are pared down to a couple hundred. This also answers the question why it's important to follow the competition's rules and guidelines when naming your files.

Also, I believe Ryan Jackson is editing the live streaming of the judging and will make it available on this website soon. We are planning to include some unseen footage in the awards show on May 9th. No... it's not the bathroom incident. We had the judges explain their first, second, third and honourable mention choices on camera so if it's more you want... plan to attend the conference and awards in Vancouver!

I can expect to announce something as early as Thursday February 26 if we can get the final draft of the press release to the CNW Group in time.

Thank you all for your patience.

Ric Ernst.

Jean Levac

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Hi Ric, thanks for your reply.  ! I guess in these times, we are so used to everything being real time that we forget that patience is a virtue :-) 
Take care and good luck!
Jean

Offline Ali Ledgerwood

• Professional
  • Vancouver
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:26 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for their hard work and contributions to the NPOY and the judging that was held on February 21st. It was an amazing process to be involved in for the first time and I learned a lot.   

Albeit hard to watch difficult choices being made, it was equally gratifying to understand why those choices were made.  I really appreciate the fact that the judges took the time to identify what struck them to the image for better or for worse.  I also truly appreciate the moderator for ensuring that the judges identify why they may or may not have known nor understood the context or subject(s) involved.  He stopped and backed up so they would.  If you missed it, the live stream will be made available soon as well as at the gala, when the judges will identify why they chose the image to win that particular category.

I would also like to let everyone know that the nominees' images will be printed up (compliments of Epson Canada, Steamworks Pub and other sponsors to be announced) to be presented in gallery format during the Capture Festival running April 6 to April 18th (possibly even earlier, dates TBD) at the Pendulum Gallery at the HSBC Building here in Vancouver.  http://www.pendulumgallery.bc.ca/schedule_2015.html Framed, hung with care, complete with captions, names, affiliations, sponsors and what category they were nominated for all the world to see is to truly highlight the amazing work that photojournalists do within our communities and beyond. This is a very exciting time for you to show your work and NPAC is thrilled to be a part of it. I hope you think so too.  I'll let you know when the launch is and we hope to see you there. The printed images will then be presented at the conference for electing the People's Choice Award which will be presented at the NPOY on May 9th.

A huge shout out to Les Baszo, Rick Collins, Ric Ernst, Ryan Jackson, Carmine Marinelli, Erika Schultz and Kittie Wong for their contributions to the judging and beyond.  Also, thanks to The Edmonton Journal for providing the live feed and to The Vancouver Province for lending us their meeting space for the day.  Also, not to mention Two Peas in A Pod Catering Co. who provided their amazing food to keep us going throughout.

We couldn't have done it without you.  We can't do it without you.  The members, contributors, sponsors and donators of time, effort and experience. It is truly appreciated and we don't ever want you to forget that.  It is you who make up this organization and it is you who determine how it is run and how it should run in the future.   

Thank you for everything you do and telling stories in an amazing way.  Photojournalism, to quote Kittie Wong "is strong and vibrant." It is alive and you are the people that keep it so.  Never forget that.

Here is to 2015 and beyond!

Cheers,
Ali

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:54 PM by Ali Ledgerwood »

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 07:43 PM »
Everything is posted including a shortened version of the judging (the gaps were removed). The pages each load a lot of pictures or videos, so be patient for a few seconds. :D

Start here:  http://npac.ca/2015/02/2014-national-pictures-of-the-year-nominees/

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com