Author Topic: Real estate rumours  (Read 8313 times)

David Buzzard

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 01:45 AM »
One thing I've noticed about the recent spate of newspaper closures in BC over the last few years is that the offices have sat on pretty nice pieces of real estate.  The Kamloops Daily News office sold for $5,000,000 after it closed.

Just reading through the posts on the string, I was thinking of my time at the Daily News in Durban South Africa in 1994, that actually operated out of a 'Newspaper House'.  Durban in those days didn't have a local TV station (and probably still doesn't), and the only TV news was from the national broadcaster, SABC, which was like watching the CBC if they produced it on heroin.  If you wanted to know what was going on, you had to read it in a newspaper.  It was pretty cool, there were two daily newspapers, the News and Mercury, a Saturday paper, and two Sunday papers, all operating out the same massive newsroom.  There were work spaces for the wires and any other journalists who might need need a desk or a photolab.  The building was built around the press, which with about 10 editions a day, ran pretty much around the clock.

I was back in Durban in 2009 and stopped by for a visit.  Two thirds of the staff had been cut since 1994, and the newsroom had huge great empty spaces in it.  It was pretty sad sight.

Don Denton

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Postmedia quarterly results should be out this
Friday, should be an interesting read.

Moe Doiron

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 01:37 PM »
The real estate holdings are more than likely underwriting the hedge fund investors in the Postmedia Quebecor deal.