Author Topic: August Clip Results 2019  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Chad Hipolito

• Professional
  • Victoria
    • Hip Photography
    • Email
August Clip Results 2019
« on: October 28, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Judges

The Free Lance-Star

Mike Morones, Director of Photography
Peter Cihelka, Staff Photographer
Dave Ellis, Digital Editor (former Director of Photography and photo editor)

Photographers-20
Feature-66
News-21
Sports-43
Spot News- 9
Portrait-26
Multi-Photo-20 entries/211 photos

FEATURE

Judges comments: Overall a pretty solid category. A lot of attempts at silhouettes and just working with interesting light that resulted in a lot of “almosts.” First place is well composed and just a pretty picture. We all liked how the 2nd place photographer backed off, turning it into a painterly, pictorial image. Third is very nice compositionally and we all agreed we’d be excited to come back from a feature hunt with this image.

1. Leah Hennel/Freelance

Cowboys wait their turn to compete.

2. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press

Riders train at a cross country riding facility near Rocky Mountain House, Alta., Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2019. The large property hosts cross country equestrian events where riders follow a set course and have too hurdle large jumps in under a set time.

3. Ian Martens/Lethbridge Herald

Brothers Carter and Zylan Balint and friend Parker Jans walk with nets along the lakeshore boulders as they wrap-up a session of hunting for crayfish while out with their moms and siblings for an afternoon of fun earlier at Henderson Lake.

H.M. Liam Richards/Freelance

The Frank Gehry’s Baroque Stair at the Art Gallery pf Ontario on August 27th, 2019.

Judges comments: We wished the photographer had waited for somebody to appear on the right-hand side.

NEWS

Judges comments: Nice, emotional moment and use of light on first place photo. Second play had good emotion and composition though a fairly straightforward image. We liked third place because it is a quiet picture in a usually loud category and felt it illustrated the challenges faced by newly-arrived refugees. A good caption elevated this image from an HM, by the way.

1. David Bloom/Postmedia

Tracy Broussie hugs her son Delbert Broussie, 19, prior to the start of his graduation ceremony from the Bold Eagle program at 3rd Canadian Division Support Base Edmonton Detachment Wainwright, Thursday Aug. 15, 2019. Bold Eagle is a summer training and employment program for Indigenous youth living in western and northern Canada and northwestern Ontario, that combines military training and Aboriginal cultural awareness.

2. Jesse Winter/The Star Vancouver

Reece Draayers shouts slogans as he leads around 100 demonstrators through downtown Vancouver in a rally against the city's plan to close the long-standing homeless encampment at Oppenheimer Park where he lives.

3. David Bloom/Postmedia

Knowing no English, an overwhelmed Marsa Tsegay, 13, takes in her first day of school in Canada at St. Alphonsus Elementary/Junior High School, in Edmonton Monday Aug. 12, 2019. Originally from Eritrea, Tsegay and her family spent 10 years in a refugee camp in Sudan before moving to Canada.

H.M. David Bloom/Postmedia

Katie Rideout talks to a reporter in the basement of her Griesbach home, in Edmonton Friday Aug. 16, 2019. Rideout's basement was flooded with approximately 3 feet of sewage in July.

Judges comments: Often in this business we are trying to illustrate things that already happened or accompanying a reporter to an interview. This image did a good job without resorting to making the person a talking head.

SPORTS

Comments:  It looks like the winners are either tennis or rodeo this time around. We liked how the first-place photographer backed off and turned an action shot into a scene-setter - an unusual choice for sports photography but sometimes context is better than the traditional tight-is-right approach. Second place had great emotion, vibrant color and third had a great expression though cropping the legs off the horse definitely hurt the image. The honorable mention was a very close almost. Had it been cropped to a vertical without quite so much negative space, it would have been an easy first. We appreciated what the photographer was going for here.

1. Leah Hennel/Freelance

The picturesque landscape of Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park encompasses some 1,106 hectares of badlands in southern Alberta and looks like the setting for a movie. Recently declared a World Heritage Site, it's been home to an old-school, no-frills rodeo for 54 years. The annual event attracts cowboys and cowgirls from all over Western Canada, not to mention photographers who flock to the site with its close-to-the-action access and golden evening light.

2. Mark Blinch/Freelance

Simona Halep is a Romania serves to Jennifer Brady of the US during round 2 of the Rogers Cup Women's tennis tournament in Toronto, Wednesday August 7, 2019.   

Kristen Nickolson urges her horse to the wire during the barrel racing event qualifier ahead of the Western Events as part of Whoop-Up Days at Exhibition Park.

H.M. Mark Blinch/Freelance

Leylah Annie Fernandez of Canada serves to Marie Bouzkova of the Czech Republic in round 1 of the Rogers Cup Women's tennis tournament in Toronto, Monday August 5, 2019.   

SPOT NEWS

Judges comments: That first place image is well-composed and adds a really interesting and unexpected angle to the rockslide story. Second place is a classic example of the photographer being in the right place at the right time and reacting well.  How many times have we all been to a speech or conference assignment just hoping that something even half as interesting as this would occur?

1. Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press

Michael Graham, left, and Stuart LePage, of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, sprint to place a salmon in a vessel to be lifted by a helicopter and transported up the Fraser River past a massive rock slide on the river near Big Bar, west of Clinton, B.C., on Wednesday July 24, 2019. The rock slide has narrowed the river, creating a five-metre waterfall that is preventing many migrating salmon from getting through to spawning grounds.

2. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press

A protester is removed from the stage by police before Alberta Premier Jason Kenney speaks to the annual Global Petroleum Show in Calgary, Alta., Tuesday, June 11, 2019.

Coalhurst Fire Captain Scott Waldie carries an injured dog to a fire truck to wait for veterinary care at the scene of a multi-vehicle collision at the Highway 3 entrance to Coalhurst.

PORTRAIT

Comments:  The judging for this category went through a lot of back-and-forth as we looked at images from both traditional portrait situations as well as ‘found’ moments that translated into a kind of portraiture. First place found itself in all three places at one point or another though ultimately we agreed that we liked the composition and use of light. For 2nd place, the judges liked the composition and location choice for such a serious topic as well as the technical ability needed to control and shape the subtle light on the subject. Third place probably shouldn’t have been cropped so severely off the top but we liked that the personality of this person shone through so brightly. HM was well composed and made good use of light.

1. Bernard Brault/La Presse

Singer Elisapie Isaac during her preparation before her performance at the Mile Ex End festival.

2. Blair Gable/Freelance

Residential school survivor Evelyn Korkmaz at the Mer Bleue bog in Ottawa August 9, 2019. Korkmaz was a victim of the residential school victim and is openly critical of the Catholic Church and Pope for not taking enough accountability.

3. Chad Hipolito/The Globe and Mail

Former bull rider for nearly 20 years, Ty DeRose turned bullfighter shows off chewing tobacco before the start of the only rodeo on Vancouver Island at the 5th annual Bulls, Broncs and Barrels event at the Coombs Rodeo Grounds in Coombs, B.C., on Sunday, August 18, 2019.

H.M. Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press

Joel Wan, 18, who helped form a group called Vancouver Hong Kong Political Activists, poses for a photograph in Coquitlam, B.C., on Tuesday August 27, 2019. Images of police using rubber bullets and tear gas against protesters in Hong Kong in early June spurred Wan to pick up the phone and call the United Nations human rights office.

MULTI-PHOTO

Comments: It should be noted out front that almost every entry in the multiple category suffered from poor editing, mostly too many repetitive images. The same could be said for some of the entries that were weighted down with too many process pictures. We thought 1st was beautifully photographed but there were a few repetitive pictures there. The same could be said of 2nd place. There was definitely a nice variety of shots but that could have been a much more impactful essay of 5 images rather than 11. Third place looked like it might have been a challenging assignment and there were a few striking images from the essay but again, it could have been 7 or 8 pictures rather than 15.

1. Leah Hennel/Freelance

The picturesque landscape of Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park encompasses some 1,106 hectares of badlands in southern Alberta and looks like the setting for a movie. Recently declared a World Heritage Site, it's been home to an old-school, no-frills rodeo for 54 years. The annual event attracts cowboys and cowgirls from all over Western Canada, not to mention photographers who flock to the site with its close-to-the-action access and golden evening light.

Les O’Hara, who grew up on a homestead on the north side of the Milk River, opens the gates to start off the 54th annual Writing-On-Stone Rodeo.

Barrel racers warm-up before competing in the Writing-On-Stone Rodeo.

No caption provided.

Competitors spend the afternoon cooling off in the Milk River before the evening show of the the annual Writing-On-Stone Rodeo.

A competitor gets ready to fling her rope during the breakaway roping event at the Writing-On-Stone Rodeo on August 3, 2019.

Hannah Pedersen and her horse Gus came to watch all the rodeo action.

Ben Bamford, left, and Tate Mosby cool off in the Milk River before the start the rodeo.

Horses cool down after a long day in the heat at the annual Writing-On-Stone Rodeo.

Cowboys wait their turn to compete.

2. Ian Martens/Lethbridge Herald

Robert McBain, of Worker and Hive Bee Supply, checks honey combs from inside one of the hives set up at the City’s Waste and Recycling Centre. The bee keeping initiative is new this season on the City property and McBain was on hand to check on the hives and show the honey bees hard at work.

Honey bees cluster together among the wax at the edges of the combs.

McBain checks the bottom box of a stack of hives.

Bees make their way around deposits of wax along the edges of a brood comb.

McBain displays a queen bee, which is the core of each bee colony's existence.

McBain moves boxes among the stacks of bee hives on their elevated platform.

Honey bees are seen among the spaces between their combs inside one of the hives.

McBain checks a brood comb from among the hives.

McBain lifts a honey comb loaded with bees.

Honey is scooped straight from the comb from inside one of the hives.

Bees buzz around the combs as they come and go as part of the work to support their colony.

3. Liam Richards/Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Nutrien employee Mike Kleiter waits for the cage, a mine shaft elevator, during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

Nutrien employee Mike Kleiter in the cage, a mine shaft elevator, during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

Nutrien employee Mike Kleiter leaves the cage, a mine shaft elevator, during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

Mining marks at Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

A Nutrien employee operates a miner, a machine use to dig though rock, in a potash mine shaft during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

A Nutrien employee operates a miner, a machine use to dig though rock, in a potash mine shaft during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

Nutrien employees use a machine to put in rods in a potash mine shaft during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

A Nutrien employees use a machine to put in rods in a potash mine shaft during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

A piece of potash rock a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

The Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

Train cars wait to be loaded with potash during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

A potash holding facility during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

Nutrien employee Rob Staudinger picks up some potash in a holding facility during a media tour at the Nutrien Cory Mine near Saskatoon, SK on Monday, August 12, 2019.

2019 STANDINGS…MONTH…TOTAL

1. Mark Blinch/Freelance…50…700
2. Darryl Dyck/Freelance…60…680
3. Leah Hennel/Freelance…150…620
4. David Bloom/Postmedia…90…540
5. Bernard Brault/La Presse…50…340
6. Kevin Light/Freelance…0…330
7. Jesse Winter/The Star Vancouver…40…320
8. Blair Gable/Freelance…40…310
9. Ian Martens/Lethbridge Herald…130…300
9. Jeff Mcintosh/Freelance…80…300
10. Chad Hipolito/Freelance…30…190