Author Topic: Two Summer Internships at the Toronto Star!  (Read 11845 times)

Offline David Chidley

• Professional
  • near Calgary, Alberta
    • Dave Chidley website
    • Email
Re: Two Summer Internships at the Toronto Star!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2015, 06:42 PM »
I have been doing a lot more teaching now.  I've taught News Photography to Broadcast and Print Journalism students at Conestoga College for six years now.  Also now teaching a lot in a new Digital Photography Program at Lambton College. 

Yes there are still LOTS of students signing up for Journalism and even more for Photography programs. 

Yes the Journalism students all now seem to "know" that the News Photography class is one of the most important they take.  They understand they need as many skills as possible to have any chance.

Yes many grads have told me that during interviews for "Reporter" jobs, the very first question asked was "Can you take photos?"

Do they get jobs?  Yes, the best, the hardest working and most talented are still getting jobs.  BUT I do see the frustration and desperation many of them will face when they start that job search. 

Why more don't really pursue the great internships is because I think basically many are totally intimidated, as most have had very little or no contact with industry people.  Just like those students who will show up at NPAC conferences, we all know those ones are the bravest, and best of the bunch.

With my teacher hat on now, I'd really like to see more Mentoring Programs and Work Experience opportunities to get those promising students a chance to get "some" experience before the summer internships and then graduations come around.

Hard workers will rise to the top! But a little "door opening" and introductions to the business will go a long way to build bridges to the industry for the students.

Back to 1984, yes, a long, long time ago.  I had the opportunity to hear from and see the work of Barry Gray of the Toronto Sun in my Stills class at Ryerson.   Barry showed us photos from the Olympics, NHL, Pro boxing, big news, and wow, shooting shadows in back alleys for school suddenly looked pretty pale by comparison.

I thought that's the ticket and marched down to the Sun and asked to apply for a Summer Internship at the newspaper. Well the Sun did not have a summer Photo Internship and neither did the Star.  (the did at one time but one individual messed it up, but that is another story).   

SO do I give up?  NO, I gave them my application and kept going to the paper, showing them new school work, trying to shoot spec. work, and "hanging out."  After my 15th, YES STUDENTS, 15th, appearance at the paper (I counted), asking over and over again, if they was a chance for a summer position, they created one!

That summer was golden, I shot some pretty good photos, I learned more in two months than I did in two years in school.  The next year the Star reinstated their summer Photo position.   I like to think I had a bit to do with that too.

So the lesson is? It's not a right, or to be expected, it's a hard-earned privilege, and if only 12 people apply to the Star, so what, the most determined and hardest working, (and some talent), persistent individuals will earn the job.  And likely do a great job!  Doing a video for the application, I'm sure was a big challenge.  Well nobody said it was going to easy.

I wouldn't be discouraged at 12 applicants, as they likely are the most confident and eager.

I have a student today who is driving all the way from Sarnia to Niagara Falls to assist on a Studio Celebrity shoot, then driving back and then heading to London for a 7:00 A.M. Event Photography job.  Doing what it takes when the chances are there.  So yes there are good ones still trying to break into the business.  The keeners will make it. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:18 PM by David Chidley »

Dave Chidley Photography
http://davechidley.ca/

Steve Russell

Re: Two Summer Internships at the Toronto Star!
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 12:00 AM »
FYI

Taras announced the Interns today.

Brian Batista Bettencourt, who comes to us via Ryerson via Algonquin College.
and
Allen Agostino, who comes to us via the International Center of Photography, New York, USA.