Author Topic: Two Summer Internships at the Toronto Star!  (Read 11844 times)

Steve Russell

Two Summer Internships at the Toronto Star!
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:33 PM »
The Toronto Star photo department is looking to fill two summer releif photographer/videographer positions starting the week of June 28 until September 19.   We are looking for recent graduates from photojournalism programs and looking all across Canada to find the best possible applicants. 

The photographers will need their own equipment, Canon preferred, and their own car.  This is a paid position including an additional car allowance.

The application process is new, all applicants are asked to shoot an assignment.  That assignment is to shoot and edit a skating feature video.  That video should be under two minutes in length, include titling and music.  The videos can be hosted or sent to us for review via wetransfer.

The videos will be judged and the top applicants will be asked to send their resume and portfolio for review.

Deadline for that assignment is March 31.

Once you have completed the assignment, email a link or wetransfer to Taras Slawnych, tslawnych@thestar.ca

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:44 AM by Steve Russell »

Offline Brent Foster

• Professional
    • Email
Re: Two Summer Internships at the Toronto Star!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Love this format for application! This is how I was hired at the LA Times. All finalists for the position had to shoot and submit a multimedia piece for consideration. Scary, but an awesome test!

Good Luck!

-B

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:51 PM »
And if you don't like Toronto  ::)  the Calgary Herald is also looking for a summer intern. Details are in the Job Openings forum.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Steve Russell

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Just fixed Taras' email address, D'oh!

It is .ca not .com!

Steve Russell

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Wow!

One day before the deadline and there are only four, count them, four, submissions!

What is going on?

Offline Mark Blinch

• Inactive Member
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Im hoping students are waiting til the last minute to get everything just right...

Steve Russell

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Im hoping students are waiting til the last minute to get everything just right...

I'm hoping this too.
Back in the day of portfolios we would usually have about half of them in the day before the deadline and the other half would arrive deadline day.

I'm hoping that we have 5 to 10% of the videos and Taras gets his inbox slammed tomorrow!

FYI
Taras is using this as the intro, from the pool of videos he will delect his favourites for an inteview and look at portfolios.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:19 PM by Steve Russell »

Steve Russell

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 10:44 PM »
Taras tells me the number of submissions was a dozen,
better than four but hugely disappointing!

Maybe newspaper photojournalism is or has died!

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 03:41 AM »
Very long post. Sorry.

TL;DR:  Uber is wrong. There's no money to be had in the taxi business. How many rich cab drivers have you seen? Uber is exactly like a photo stock agency that sells pictures for $1. At a cheap stock agency, photographers do all the work and make no money. Meanwhile, the stock agency owners, who do make money, depend on photographers who can't see the numbers. Let's see how long it takes drivers to figure out Uber's numbers.

If Uber was smart, it would go into the same-day courier business. Amazon and other retailers are begging for this.

Quote from: Steve Russell
Taras tells me the number of submissions was a dozen,
better than four but hugely disappointing!

Maybe newspaper photojournalism is or has died!

I'm surprised you got more than five and I'll tell you why ..... :)

First, a huge "attaperson" goes to the Toronto Star and a big "attaboy" goes to the other four(?) papers and wire service that still have internships. These are quite important but they're falling by the wayside. Newspapers say they can't afford to hire interns and many students can't afford to accept an internship. But all is not lost.

The problem with the Star's internship, for example only, is that for many students, the job is too expensive to accept. If a student doesn't live in Toronto, the added living costs might equal about 70% of their pay. This leaves almost nothing for future tuition, new equipment, etc. A job in a local factory or bar is more profitable.

Sure, one could say that a bit of sacrifice now, by working a less-profitable internship, will pay for itself in the future. That's probably true if there was a chance of newspapers hiring in the future.

At the Star, for example, an intern student reporter needs only the clothes on their back. But an intern student photographer needs full camera gear, laptop, software, smartphone and a car. Yet both interns get paid the same rate (I stand to be corrected here). I know the photo department has little to do with this and it has to fight to even have an internship.

A car allowance is nice but despite what the accountant says, financially it's not the same as a company car. There's a rea$on why companies are moving to employee-owned cars. It shifts all liability and risk to the employee.

Student photographers who don't have a car and don't live in the city where the internship is offered simply can't afford to take that internship.

How about:

1) Remove the requirement for a car. If a reporter (staff or intern) doesn't need a car, then a student intern photog shouldn't need one. This will limit the type of jobs the intern will shoot but tough, so be it.

I can recall another Toronto daily that let some of its student photogs use public transit. Waiting for the bus wasted time and they were limited to the downtown area but it seemed to work.

If staff reporters can use taxis, why can't interns? Professional news photographers in some cities use only public transit and taxis. Why not in Toronto?

By the way, editorially, isn't the Toronto Star anti-car?

2) During the summer months, most university and college residences are empty. Can a newspaper work out a deal to have the interns live in a nearby residence? This would be cheaper than a hotel or apartment and better than a room in someone's basement. Or have the interns stay in the Chairman's guest home?

Back in the late 1980s, one student intern lived in his beat-up car parked on the street in front of the paper or in a nearby lot. He "bathed" in a newspaper washroom sink every third or fourth day.  :o

Another photographer actually lived in the newspaper building, although management and building security weren't aware of it.  ::)

3) Remember that you're hiring an intern for their promising talent, not for what they own. If you supply your staffers with gear then why not be fair and treat the intern the same? After all, you're expecting the intern to do the same work.

What other job at a big company requires that you bring all your own tools?

4) What would happen if the intern was sponsored? Nikon, Canon, Sony, Microsoft, Pizza Pizza, .... etc?  It wouldn't mean that the intern will have to wear logo-covered clothing but maybe the paper can work out a contra deal. Although, the dollar value is relatively low.

Maybe have the publisher downgrade his company car from a Lexus to a Cadillac? The monthly lease savings could help pay for an intern.

5) Move into the 21st century and offer e-Internships or i-Internships?

What if a paper was crazy enough to hire a number of student intern photographers in a number of cites/towns across the country? These students might each get one assignment per day or a few per week. This would be a part-time internship with no added living expenses required and maybe even no car needed. They would still get daily reviews and advice.

Benefits:

i) The newspaper would get its own stories/pictures from across the country. This wider range of potential stories might inspire its staff reporters to pursue stories that were formerly out of geographic reach. Maybe coordinate the students to work on weekly national projects.

ii) More students can be involved. It's more inclusive. Less reliance on wealthier students (or wealthier parents). Since it's a part-time internship, students could still pursue other part-time jobs or interests.

Disadvantages:

i) The student loses the value of being in the newsroom and working with the photo department.

ii) Newspaper doesn't get cheap labour to fill in for vacationing staff.

6) The requirement for a short video was cute but other than acting, what job requires you to test for the part? McDonalds doesn't ask for test burger flips. Makeup artists aren't asked for test eyeliner and lipstick. Do reporters have to submit test stories? Do editors have to edit some test articles?

I know that some newspapers are still betting on video. But when most staffers (photogs and reporters) don't/can't shoot video, then why the intern? First, video-enable all staffers, then you've got ground to stand on. Failing that, just make sure the intern owns an iPhone. :)

Newspaper internships haven't changed in many decades (except for the fact that most internships now pay). Yet the world and the economy have changed drastically. Newspaper internships are no longer the golden ticket in a chocolate bar.

But newspapers need to continue running internships – real internships and not just an excuse for cheap labour. I've spoken with students who had internships at the Toronto Star and/or The Canadian Press. They said it did them a world of good and they learned more in two months than they did in two years of school.

Newspapers need to sweeten the pot to attract interns, or at least they need to understand today's economy beyond their own stock price, because newspapers are no longer the only game in town. Newspapers ask for the moon in terms of qualifications and equipment but their pay is earthly bound, (Sorry, not as poetic as I would've liked but wait for it).

French author Antoine de Saint-Exupery was quoted as saying (roughly translated):
When you want to build a ship, don’t start by gathering wood, cutting boards and distributing the work, but awaken in men a desire for the vast and endless sea.

Perhaps when you need photo interns to apply for a job, don't start by giving out assignments and equipment requirements but awaken in them a desire to tell stories and be part of something larger than themselves. It doesn't have to be a job, it can be an adventure.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:47 AM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 02:59 PM »
And just to drag this out even further (and to procrastinate from doing any real work)  :) ...

If I was in charge of a newspaper, I would ask potential interns: If you were to work for my newspaper this summer, what five stories would you like to cover? What's the story, why is it important to our readers and what's the best way to visually report it?

Good ideas are better than good technique.

A reporter just has to be a journalist and that's easy. A photographer has two jobs - photographer and journalist - and this is, or at least it should be, the future of newspapers.

We've been communicating with video (moving pictures) for ~120 years. We've been using text for ~5,000 years (although early "words" were images). We've been communicating with images for ~45,000 years. Guess how our brains work.

There was a much simpler and better test than asking applicants to produce a video. Ask to see the applicant's cellphone. If they had Instagram+Twitter+Periscope, then they're hired or at least shortlisted for the job. Those three apps can create far more readership engagement than any newspaper video.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:08 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

David Buzzard

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 04:35 AM »
That's a pretty daunting job interview. It probably did a good job weeding out anybody who wasn't totally 100% serious. 

Steve Russell

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Wow!

Great stuff Warren!
I'm surprised that no one else has jumped in here.

Quote from: Warren Toda
At the Star, for example, an intern student reporter needs only the clothes on their back. But an intern student photographer needs full camera gear, laptop, software, smartphone and a car. Yet both interns get paid the same rate (I stand to be corrected here). I know the photo department has little to do with this and it has to fight to even have an internship.

But aren't these all things that students and recent graduates need once they finish school anyways?

Im my case, the big between first and second year at Loyalist purchase wasn't gear, though I did invest in some, it was a car.
Though with insurance rates the way they are, that might be the biggest expense, maybe more than the vehicle!

If staff reporters can use taxis, why can't interns? Professional news photographers in some cities use only public transit and taxis. Why not in Toronto?

This rarely happens, cab slips are rarely seen in the newsroom anymore!

During the summer months, most university and college residences are empty. Can a newspaper work out a deal to have the interns live in a nearby residence? This would be cheaper than a hotel or apartment and better than a room in someone's basement.

University Idea is nice, but they already rent out in the summer, I think that the intern has to take responsibility to do the leg work to find accommodation. When I did my summer internships, one in London, one in Toronto, I found my places, through my network of friends that found me inexpensive summer student sublets, I was renting from students who went to their hometowns over the summer. And yes they were in basements.

Remember that you're hiring an intern for their promising talent, not for what they own. If you supply your staffers with gear then why not be fair and treat the intern the same? After all, you're expecting the intern to do the same work.

We do have some gear available for the intern, I'm not sure what is in the cupboard.
We are hiring an intern based on their promising talent, that we have identified through images, moving and still, that they have captured with equipment that they already have.
Again, throwing back to my old days, when I did my internship at the London Free Press and the Star my kit was a Canon A1E, Canon EOS 630, 80-200mm, 24 f2.8, and one strobe!
My summer at the Star paid for a laptop and film scanner to set me up for freelancing.

Chef's, mechanics, carpenters, all have their own tools!

Move into the 21st century and offer e-Internships or i-Internships?

Great idea, but it would be more suited to a national paper I think.

The requirement for a short video was cute but other than acting, what job requires you to test for the part? McDonalds doesn't ask for test burger flips. Makeup artists aren't asked for test eyeliner and lipstick. Do reporters have to submit test stories? Do editors have to edit some test articles?

Actually our video editors had to do a "test" and our copy editors did as well (back in the when we had them)

I'm on the fence about the idea, it has it's pros and cons.
But, that was the requirement that Taras put out there.
Taras put out there an assignment requirement that one might perform at the paper over the course of a shift.
Applicants were given a month or two to do the assignment.

Outside of "skating" the assignment was wide open for candidates to find an angle and have time to shoot it and put it together.
It is a good test for storytelling, imagery and audio.
We only received about a dozen submissions.

In the past when I was on the screening panel and the requirement was a portfolio we would get between 50 to 80 portfolios.
But a bunch of those portfolios were
- student portfolios where you could see that they were not shooting anything outside their assignments
- portfolios where over half their images were from the most recent protest/event de jour to bum their image numbers up to over 10.
- portfolios that were travelogues of some trip to somewhere exotic, but no images from Canada

At the end of the process we would end up with a dozen of so serious portfolios
So if "the assignment" helped weed out those aforementioned portfolios and identify serious candidates, maybe that was a good thing.

The top half of the candidates will still have to come in for an interview and show a portfolio.

If I was in charge of a newspaper, I would ask potential interns: If you were to work for my newspaper this summer, what five stories would you like to cover? What's the story, why is it important to our readers and what's the best way to visually report it?

I do like your idea about having the applicant present several ideas about stories.
I think that is something everyone who has an interview should be prepared to present.
It was a question I was asked in my interview.
I think it is also important to irons in the fire on at least one of the story ideas too.
Because once you start at the paper you will be hitting the ground running.

A reporter just has to be a journalist and that's easy. A photographer has two jobs - photographer and journalist - and this is, or at least it should be, the future of newspapers.
We've been communicating with video (moving pictures) for ~120 years. We've been using text for ~5,000 years (although early "words" were images). We've been communicating with images for ~45,000 years. Guess how our brains work.

Amen!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:29 PM by Steve Russell »

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 11:19 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I want newspapers like the Toronto Star to have internships, I want them to get dozens of applications and I'd like to see them hire a half dozen or more students. I know budgets aren't what they used to be but internships are very important for the students, the newspaper and, (not to sound overly dramatic), also for the future of photojournalism.  It's a shame that many other papers have given up on this.

But if a paper gets only a dozen or fewer applicants then something is broken. Or maybe working for a living interferes with a student's Facebook and Netflix time.  :)

But aren't these all things that students and recent graduates need once they finish school anyways?

Im my case, the big between first and second year at Loyalist purchase wasn't gear, though I did invest in some, it was a car.
Though with insurance rates the way they are, that might be the biggest expense, maybe more than the vehicle!

This assumes the student has money from either rich parents or well-paying part-time jobs. Most jobs don't require you to own a car plus thousands of dollars worth of camera gear. It's a catch-22 thing: you need a job so you can buy the gear but you can't get a job unless you already own the gear.

Try this: have the newspaper rent a car for the intern. Monthly rental for a compact car with unlimited mileage ($33/day plus insurance) is equal to or even *less* than the mileage rate the paper will pay the student for driving their own car if they had one.

Or, get a media review car from a car manufacturer and say the intern is doing an in-depth, two-month review of the car.  ::)

Car insurance in Ontario is broken and it's criminal that the government has refused to do anything about it. But that's a whole other conversation.

This rarely happens, cab slips are rarely seen in the newsroom anymore!

Partner with Uber.  :)

Assuming reporters occasionally leave the office, how do they get around other than having a photographer chauffeur them?

Remember that you're hiring an intern for their promising talent, not for what they own. If you supply your staffers with gear then why not be fair and treat the intern the same? After all, you're expecting the intern to do the same work.

We do have some gear available for the intern, I'm not sure what is in the cupboard.
We are hiring an intern based on their promising talent, that we have identified through images, moving and still, that they have captured with equipment that they already have.
Again, throwing back to my old days, when I did my internship at the London Free Press and the Star my kit was a Canon A1E, Canon EOS 630, 80-200mm, 24 f2.8, and one strobe!
My summer at the Star paid for a laptop and film scanner to set me up for freelancing.

Sure, it's quite possible to get by on two cheap bodies (under $1000 each), two lenses and one flash. But one dropped/smashed piece of gear = ~ two weeks pay. (eg. Nikon has minimum repair rates and anything apparentally dropped *starts* at plus-$500)

I've had gear hit by a baseball, a puck, a police baton, a rioter's club and a car and I've had my flash ripped off a camera body several times. Each repair was expensive but each was covered by the newspaper.  When I shot new homes for a newspaper, I got numerous flat tires, plus one totally destroyed tire, due to driving in construction sites. But the paper paid for those.

If you have to pay for your own work-related repairs, why put your gear or car at risk? Camera insurance has tightened up over the past 20 years and the deductibles (and premiums) are now quite high. Does any newspaper insure its gear or is it too expensive even for them?

Chef's, mechanics, carpenters, all have their own tools!

A friend is a car mechanic and all his tools are supplied. Another friend is a chef and she gets all her "gear" supplied.

A few acquaintances who either own restaurants in Oakville or a car detailing business in Mississauga supply their summer students with everything except clothes/shoes. And none of them are multi-million dollar businesses.

In the past when I was on the screening panel and the requirement was a portfolio we would get between 50 to 80 portfolios.
But a bunch of those portfolios were
- student portfolios where you could see that they were not shooting anything outside their assignments
- portfolios where over half their images were from the most recent protest/event de jour to bum their image numbers up to over 10.
- portfolios that were travelogues of some trip to somewhere exotic, but no images from Canada

At the end of the process we would end up with a dozen of so serious portfolios
So if "the assignment" helped weed out those aforementioned portfolios and identify serious candidates, maybe that was a good thing.

You're right. I've looked through student portfolio applications and many were just like you said: portraits of family or friends, landscape pictures, parades, holiday pictures, etc. Very few went the extra kilometre.

I do like your idea about having the applicant present several ideas about stories.
I think that is something everyone who has an interview should be prepared to present.
It was a question I was asked in my interview.
I think it is also important to irons in the fire on at least one of the story ideas too.
Because once you start at the paper you will be hitting the ground running.

The point to this is to see how the student thinks. It's not really the actual story idea but rather it's to show that the student thinks like a journalist, they think in terms of stories and news value rather than just pretty pictures (e.g. sports, celebrities, rock concerts).

And speaking of internships, here's a timely news report about companies taking advantage of unpaid interns.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Apparently this is why the Toronto Star is reluctant to have staff cars anymore:

Passersby (right) help dig out a Toronto Daily Star staffer's (L) car on a city street in Toronto in 1934. (Photo - William James or possibly his son Norman James. Source - City of Toronto Archives). Just to point out that it wasn't a photographer who was driving.  :)

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 12:09 AM »
Maybe interns can work out some sort of ride sharing system like these news photographers:

Stills and movie photographers leave the Queen's Park Legislative Assembly in Toronto, 1919. (Photo - William James. Source - City of Toronto Archives).

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com