Author Topic: (Slightly) new forums  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
(Slightly) new forums
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:46 AM »
As you may have noticed, the forum software has been updated a bit. It should still be very familiar.

There are a few cosmetic changes, for example your avatar can now be 120px X 120px. But under the hood, there are several changes including, but not limited to,

• In your profile, you can add your Twitter, Skype and Instagram usernames. Enter just your username and not a URL and not a "@". The software will magically take your username and insert it into the correct web address for your social media accounts.  Skype is set to chat mode.

Log in > Profile > Modify Profile > Forum Profile and enter just your username(s) for your social media accounts.

Tiny social media icons will appear below your name or avatar in each post that you make. They will also appear in the members list. *Anyone* can click on these icons to go to your Twitter, Instagram, and Skype accounts.

If you're offline with Skype, your Skype icon will be grey. If you're online, the icon will be green. But for this to work, you have to go into your Skype account > Preferences > Privacy and enable "Show my status on the web".  Sorry, Skype stopped supporting this feature.

• *Anyone* can send you an e-mail but they do not see your e-mail address. Instead, the e-mail is sent to you through a generic e-mail form. Logged-in NPAC members can see your e-mail address.

Of course, you can also put your e-mail address in your signature.

• Logged-in NPAC members can send you a private message and view your profile.

• The forums can be viewed on a mobile device by using the WAP2 link at the bottom of the page. But it's very basic and somewhat ugly looking for now.

That's all I can think of right now.

If you find a problem or other weird behaviour, or if you have a suggestion or request, let me know.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:02 AM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Kenneth Armstrong

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
    • www.kennetharmstrong.ca
    • Email
Re: (Slightly) new forums
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Is there an option to bring back the Recent Threads listing at the bottom of the http://npac.ca/forums/ page? It was good to see all of the recent discussions at-a-glance when I had been away from the site for a few days. The first thing I noticed this morning was that it was gone.

Otherwise, thanks. Sounds like some good changes/updates.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Jimmy Jeong

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:06 PM »
Thanks Warren.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Quote from: Kenneth Armstrong
Is there an option to bring back the Recent Threads listing at the bottom of the http://npac.ca/forums/ page?

I overlooked that feature but it's back on (visible only on the forum's front page) and set to show that last 10 posts.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 02:42 AM »
If you're wondering when your membership will expire, or if it has already expired, then check the Member list.

This list displays all current members. If you're not on the list then search for your name. A search will show both current and "expired" members and their last date of registration.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Blair Gable

• Professional
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Blair Gable Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Thanks for the updates Warren!

Freelance picture-maker.

http://www.blairgable.com