Author Topic: US photographer fired for fake streeters  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
US photographer fired for fake streeters
« on: July 24, 2012, 03:08 AM »
From Sun-Times Media in the USA:

A Sun-Times Media photographer was fired Thursday after admitting she used fake names and quotes in numerous Pioneer Press “Question of the Week” photo essays published this year, the company said.

I recall reporters at a Toronto newspaper who did this. They would spend their time either at a bar, shopping or at home and then they would submit a fake streeter at the end of their shift. Or, they'd return with an (intentionally) improperly loaded camera: no film = no pictures = can't publish the streeter ("Oh, that's too bad because I had great quotes").

Don't believe anyone was ever fired.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: US photographer fired for fake streeters
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 12:26 PM »
 A fake streeter ,really . A streeter is a fake story (content) idea , so i guess a fake streeter is some kind of karma correction. Asking six people about a subject  most have never heard of yet , BECAUSE it is tomorrows news ,always seemed to me a bad idea .There are too many refusals , it is a newspaper version of telemarketing . It would  be smarter to do a print streeter after  stories are explained . With comments part of web stories , the streeter  is obsolete  .
 People are afraid of strangers approaching them . We had one rumpled reporter who literally scared te crap out of people when he approached.
  Photog to reporter , Most asked question , "do we have enough?" .Second most asked question , "do we have enough , yet ?" and the third most asked , reporter to photog  ,was  , "are we done yet , got enough?" .
  Streeters are TV things , they don't really work for newspapers , but then again there is no story (content)  too small for the web. :)
 The sample is just too small and random and should not be assigned .Photographically it is a lot of energy  for people who have busy days  and are standing  by for breaking news and features. ):
  Online polls  at least have a pulse of hundreds or thousands of responses from the portion of the population that would refuse comment in a random  person to person report. :0
  Funny story , we had to do a streeter about the big banks leaving a poor ,tough area of the city . The paper sent a student to do the thing. The last thing an old lady coming out of a bank with cash wants to see see  is some young kid she doesn't know, in a tough area  approaching her. Reality is way funnier than a story idea on a hot slow day. I guess the blog would get  more hits than the story . I think we should write more stories about real newspaper reporting .

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:23 AM by Ken Gigliotti »

Moe Doiron

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:37 PM »
A fake streeter ,really . A streeter is a fake story (content) idea , so i guess a fake streeter is some kind of karma correction.

;D

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:59 PM »
  The last thing an old lady coming out of a bank with cash wants to see see  is some young kid she doesn't know, in a tough area  approaching her. Reality is way funnier than a story idea on a hot slow day.

;D

Jack