Author Topic: Fellow photog needs some help  (Read 6285 times)

Eric Wynne

« on: November 28, 2011, 02:10 PM »
I know the photo community is very tight-knit.

A fellow photographer Darrell Oake has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a rare disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. As a self-employed freelance photographer Darrell does not have any health benefits or sick pay.

Any help is appreciated. More information and how you can help can be found at: http://www.budocentral.com/Oake.html

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
Re: Fellow photog needs some help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Eric and Paypal is sending a little bit of help his way.

Fred

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:00 PM by Fred Lum »

Fred

Phill Snel

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:11 PM »
And a little more on its way from your Toronto colleagues.

Eric Wynne

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Thank you.

I'm sure any assistance, no matter how little, will help.

Offline Lars Hagberg

• Professional
  • Kingston, Ontario
    • Lars Hagberg's portfolio
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:13 AM »
A little more is also coming from Kingston, Ont.

Lars Hagberg
Independent photographer
Kingston, Ontario
http://www.larshagberg.com
https://twitter.com/larshagberg

Greg Fulmes

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Some more from Calgary.......is it okay if I post this on to other local freelancers who might not be NPAC members?

Phill Snel

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 01:37 PM »
That sounds like an excellent idea!!
 :)

Some more from Calgary.......is it okay if I post this on to other local freelancers who might not be NPAC members?

Eric Wynne

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Again, thank you.

We're hoping to have someone go see him as he is still in hospital to see how he is doing. I think all of us in the Halifax photog community, who have worked with him, are wondering how he and his family holding up.

And Greg you can go ahead and post anywhere.

Ryan Taplin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:06 AM »
I just wanted to pass along a quick update on Darrell's condition. Here's part of an email from Frank Zinck sent out late last night. Frank runs the website that's collecting donations for Darrell and his family:

First some bad news, Darrell had to have emergency surgery tonight to insert a feeding tube as he is unable to eat and losing weight. This should help him feel better and regain some energy and gain the nutrients he needs.
CBC has picked up the story because you guys destroyed Facebook in the city with so many posts of my website. The interview will air tomorrow and hopefully pull in more support.
Lori McKay is delivering a portion of the donations tomorrow (I did a withdrawal today and it takes 4 days for the funds to transfer, so my Martial Arts Club fronted the money) We felt they likely require something right away.
 Kim Moar is contacting the Kinsmen and helping organizing any gifts we get and both Kim and Lori and myself have convinced our office to make the Oake family our Christmas family so the staff and Transcontinental will be supplying gifts.
 A gentleman, whom I can’t remember his name, has a company that decorates houses for Christmas and he is donating time and supplies to decorate the Oake home tomorrow.
 The kids profiles are posted on my website at http://www.budocentral.com/Oake.html with their sizes and interests if anyone was thinking of picking up a gift and dropping it off.

The response so far has been great but Darrell and his family are definitely going to need more help over the coming months. A fundraiser is currently being organized for Darrell but no date has been set. Eric and I will post more updates over the next few weeks. Thanks to everybody who has pitched in already.

Offline David Chidley

• Professional
  • near Calgary, Alberta
    • Dave Chidley website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54 PM »
Something sent today from London, Ontario.

Hope a little bit of help from many places makes a difference. Get well.

Freelancer  Dave Chidley

CBC link
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/11/30/ns-photographer-oake-illness.html

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:01 PM by David Chidley »

Dave Chidley Photography
http://davechidley.ca/

Glen Canning

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 08:00 AM »
Thanks for the update Ryan.

Eric Wynne

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 07:06 AM »
Just received an update from the Frank Zinck, who runs the martial arts club Darrell has been a student of and a friend of his. Not super news about his recovery but better than the alternative I think:

"Just a quick update. Darrell is obviously still in hospital and will be over Christmas. The doctors expect he will be anywhere from 4 to 12 months in recovery with an uncertain diagnosis so doctors are not sure if there will be a full or partial recovery, it’s just too early to tell. It will be a long recovery for him for sure.

We have taken the money you have contributed and made several payment to Darrel and his family….. it has given them a huge relief and alleviated a lot of stress and concern. Leanne cries with extreme gratitude, so thank you all so much for making a difference. My martial arts club did a food collection for them last week and many people have dropped off gift cards, and presents which is wonderful.

Lori McKay has been acting as liaison with the family offering drives and support for Leanne and delivering donations and things. Kim Moar and Lori both did some Christmas shopping for the family last week and some of the staff at Transcontinental will wrap everything for the family once we are done. If you have anything you might want to contribute let me know and I’ll pick it up or let you know where you can drop it off.

I’m not sure what the long term will bring for Darrell but I know I speak for everyone in hoping for speedy recovery."

Don Denton

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Any update on Darrell?

Eric Wynne

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Update on Darrell Oake. Still surprising but I guess progress is better than the alternative:

"Kim, Lori and I went to see Darrell Wednesday, January 11. He is no longer at the Dartmouth General as he has been transferred to the Rehab Centre in Halifax in order to start building muscle and regaining mobility. He has lost a tremendous amount of weight but actually looked great and was quite spirited and fairly upbeat while we were there. He has movement in his legs but is still unable to stand. Unfortunately he still has a feeding tube and cannot eat solid food but every day there is an improvement. Doctors are impressed with his progress.

Kim, Lori and I bought a house load of Christmas gifts and now Leanne, Darrell, and the boys have winter attire as well as games and some toys. I think the kids were surprised as they thought “with Dad sick there won’t be much for Christmas” when the opposite occurred because obviously there were others collecting presents too, so it must have been exciting for the boys. I guess the “unwrapping process” took a considerable amount of time.

The fundraising went beyond my wildest dreams…… I have done this kind of thing for several other families in the past but I have never seen an outpouring like this……. with your amazing generosity we raised $7798 and nearly $2000 in gift cards……. Keep in mind that we were not the only ones fundraising for Darrell, their church and the kids school did quite a bit too along with others! A neighbour filled their oil tank and someone else is taking care of the next load….. so I feel they have been well taken care of depending on how long Darrell’s recovery takes……Something I may look at down the road. They have applied for social disability assistance however that does take several months to get ironed out but will help them long term for sure."

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 06:03 AM »
hang in there . i had cancer 3 years ago and it sucks . My boss who was also going through a very tough time with cancer gave me Lance Armstrongs book , "It's Not About the Bike" . I read it during the time i was going through my surgery and recovery  . It really helped me , I guess Lance is a bit of a jerk but in a funny kind of way his strength  and spirit to compete was really helpful . I will never forget by boss's kindness  and Lance's  strength