Author Topic: Has Postmedia started sharing it's photos with Sun Papers  (Read 1569 times)

Jimmy Jeong

Has Postmedia started sharing it's photos with Sun Papers
« on: November 27, 2015, 06:22 PM »
And vice versa.
Just wondering if anyone has noticed the sharing of content yet? Have freelancers been asked to sign new contracts over this? Let me know.

cheers,
Jimmy

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Re: Has Postmedia started sharing it's photos with Sun Papers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 09:51 PM »
Quote from: Jimmy Jeong
Just wondering if anyone has noticed the sharing of content yet?

Yes, it started a while ago here in Toronto.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Lyle Aspinall

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 08:23 PM »
I work for the Calgary Sun, and it has happened to a very small extent here. Since the acquisition, we've had two or three of ours appear in the Herald, and just a day or two ago, I noticed a Herald photo appear in our paper. Officially, that's not supposed to happen, but we're both looking at the same library of photos, so unless someone really watches the bylines, it's bound to happen. Interesting times.

Offline David Chidley

• Professional
  • near Calgary, Alberta
    • Dave Chidley website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:20 PM »
After being given my freedom from the London Free Press / Quebecor, I assumed I'd never see my images grace the pages again.  Well with the weird media world we now deal with, it has started to happen with the occasional CP photo I shoot. 

Today was weirder as a photo I shot for the National Post was shared with pretty much everyone of their papers including the Free Press and it saw half-tone dot display on their pages.  Funny how I thought (and was paid accordingly) that it was for one paper, the National Post.  But of course nothing is as it seems, or should be.  I wish I was getting and extra Ten Bucks per use or at least some nostalgic Canadian Tire money for the extra ink.

So share and share they will, but not much extra sharing to the photographers.

Dave Chidley Photography
http://davechidley.ca/

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:29 AM »
Quote from: David Chidley
Funny how I thought (and was paid accordingly) that it was for one paper, the National Post.  But of course nothing is as it seems, or should be.  I wish I was getting and extra Ten Bucks per use or at least some nostalgic Canadian Tire money for the extra ink.

So share and share they will, but not much extra sharing to the photographers.

Of course, if you want an ad to appear in multiple papers, you have to pay extra for each additional paper and the cost will depend on each paper's circulation or readership.

Dave, you may recall a time when Sun photographers were paid an extra $10 each time one of their photos appeared in a sister Sun paper. At first it was automatic, then a photographer had to search to see if their pictures had been published in another paper and make a claim, and finally the extra pay was cancelled.

When I asked the Sun Media CEO why it was cancelled, he replied, "I like to think that employees are paid well enough that you don't need the extra money."

At that time (in the mid-1990s), what I earned in a week, the CEO earned in less than two hours. Or to rephrase it, to earn what the CEO earned in one day, I needed a month. At that rate, who needs "extra" money?

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com