Author Topic: Photo licensing  (Read 3066 times)

Mark Taylor

« on: November 06, 2015, 11:37 AM »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for resources or guides for licensing fees? I'm aware of FotoQuote but don't want to invest in software I likely won't use again. Specifically looking to come up with a price for use of an existing image of mine on a non-fiction full front cover/spine doing a 10,000 print run in US & Canada.

Thanks for any help,

Mark

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:29 PM by Mark Taylor »

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Re: Photo licensing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:15 PM »
The following is just a generalization because I don't know any details about the photo, the book, the publisher or any other necessary factors.

In 2012, for a front-cover photo on a book with less than 5,000 copies, I got $700. (Tiny publisher, Canada only).

I'm told that a front-cover photo for 10k print run, Canada/US distribution, is worth *around* $1,000. That works out to just 10¢/book and surely a cover photo brings at least 10¢ worth of value to the book?

In 2009-2010, a big US publisher was routinely paying $1500-$2000 USD for a high-print-run front-cover photo.

Sometimes the publisher/author might also want to reproduce the photo on collateral such as bookmarks. What about future print runs or other editions? Is there going to be a PDF/iPad version?

The publisher and author have the right to reproduce the cover in its entirety because this falls under Fair Dealing in Canada and Fair Use in the USA. A photographer might try to limit this by charging for any cover reproduction that's larger than actual size (e.g. reproduced in a large, in-store poster).

I used to have FotoQuote and it had some useful numbers although its interface was horrible. The software can pay for itself with just one sale.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:33 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Amber Bracken

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 03:44 AM »
I use Getty Images a lot to get a base line price (and then talk to people with experience). Without knowing your details, I ran it through and it's coming in between $1250-$2000.

David Buzzard

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Also think about the effort to go out and get the image.  Does $1,500 feel like a good payday, or did you risk your life to get it?

Offline Robin Rowland

• Professional
  • Kitimat, BC
    • Robin Rowland
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 03:31 PM »
From the author's point of view, where I have been involved in licencing photos for my books there are questions you have to ask.

1. Who is requesting the licence?  Is it the author or the publisher?  These days publishers are increasingly trying to download clearances and licencing fees on authors.   Some publishers don't tell the author the print run or low ball it. Print runs are often considered proprietary information and not always given up front.  Insist on dealing directly with the publisher, not the author, to make sure that everything is clear to you.

2. Make sure you have a signed contract with the publisher that spells out the rights licenced.  In case of e-books check to see if the territorial limitations match the print run. These days while the print run may be US and Canada, the e-book may be licenced worldwide. (Amazon does have territorial restrictions on Kindle, but not all others do.) Also check to see if the contract allows use by other branches within the same corporation, that's a sneaky one that I am told Murdoch's News Corp which owns Harper Collins tries to use, but in case of authors represented by agents, that clause is struck or payment is part of it, usually 50% to the publisher and 50% to the author.  So again the cover is fair dealing/fair use but what if a corporate publisher wants to use your image in a company owned magazine?

3. Subsidiary uses..... reproduction of the cover is fair use.  What if the publisher wants to supply the original image to the media as part of a press package? That could mean, if you're not careful, the image could end up in everyone's archives with no restrictions. If the publisher wants your image as part of a press package sometimes you can negotiate a time limit on media use (but not everyone adheres to restrictions)

4.Getty is not always a good guide.   Getty has contracts with big book publishers that are similar to the contracts the news media sign which provide discounts and multi use.  For my last book,  I needed a picture of the British surrender of Singapore.   There are about a dozen available, but only one had the right angle that showed the main character in the book, and  Getty had that one. My publisher was able to get the image much cheaper than the quoted price, because they had the Getty contract. (the publisher objected to the cost of a couple of other images but with Getty they said "no problem, we've got a contract.")

5 NO foreign language rights.  Who sells the foreign language rights depends on the contract with the author. These days it is sometimes the publisher, but often the author's agent.  The foreign publisher usually wants to design their own cover on the basis of the local market, but sometimes the cover art is sent and the translated title is put over the art.  So the publisher might ship a package to the foreign rights holder and not bother to check with you.

Most of this won't matter because most books don't "earn out" that means repay their advances and the author goes into profit, but you never know.   Another  thing to know is that if the book does go into  a second printing, make sure you, as the photographer, get the money up front.  Author's are not always paid because books are a commodity business and publishers are entitled to hold a "reserve against returns."  The one book I worked on, a computer manual, that did "earn out" payment didn't start coming in until two years later.

RR

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:37 PM by Robin Rowland »

Robin Rowland
Independent visual journalist, photographer and author
Kitimat BC

http://robinrowland.com

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 04:23 PM »
Very good points by Robin.

1. I've done pictures for books and for the promotion of TV documentaries. In most cases, the book authors and the documentary producers were tasked with getting still photography and copyright clearance and also paying the photographer.

2. A contract with an author is not the same as a contract with the publisher. You might have a contract with the author that limits the use of the photography but the author may have a contract with the publisher that allows for unlimited use.

I've seen book publisher contracts that are with not with the actual publisher but with the parent corporation instead. This is done so that any of its companies can freely use the pictures. Some publishers also put photos into their own photo archive so that they can freely use a picture anytime it needs one.

3. "...the image could end up in everyone's archives with no restrictions." This is one way your photo can become an orphan.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Mark Taylor

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone, lots to wrap my head around. To answer some of your questions, the publisher, Penguin Random House, is requesting the license, not the author. I didn't risk my life to get the photo though the subject had just served 15 years for attempted murder and lives in a fairly remote part of Sask. In other words there aren't many photos of the guy and producing a new one of him would be difficult for anyone not from here, which of course gives me some leverage. Whatever the case, this also got me wondering if there was interest in setting up something similar to the Cost of Doing Business Calculator for stuff like this. If so I'd be happy to help.

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone, lots to wrap my head around. To answer some of your questions, the publisher, Penguin Random House, is requesting the license, not the author. I didn't risk my life to get the photo though the subject had just served 15 years for attempted murder and lives in a fairly remote part of Sask. In other words there aren't many photos of the guy and producing a new one of him would be difficult for anyone not from here, which of course gives me some leverage. Whatever the case, this also got me wondering if there was interest in setting up something similar to the Cost of Doing Business Calculator for stuff like this. If so I'd be happy to help.

Hi Mark,

If this story might become TV and/or Movie fodder, you might want to try license it for the "book" only and
if it does go to the small or big screen, renegotiate :)

Cheers,

jack

Offline Robin Rowland

• Professional
  • Kitimat, BC
    • Robin Rowland
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 11:56 AM »
To follow up on my earlier post, if you're a photographer you should always get the money up front for a shot used in a book,
Today's article from the Authors Guild shows why.....it's probably a hard read for the math challenged, but the bottom line is that authors today are increasingly being screwed and  for non fiction the costs are increasing while the money you get is bottoming out

End the Discount Double-Cross
https://www.authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/end-the-discount-double-cross/

Robin Rowland
Independent visual journalist, photographer and author
Kitimat BC

http://robinrowland.com