Author Topic: Tour de France  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Tour de France
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Le Tour de France is celebrating its 100th race which starts tomorrow (June 29). Interesting thing is that the race originated as a newspaper publicity stunt.

In 1902, Le Vélo, a French sports newspaper which previously only sponsored bicycle races, organized its own race. Its competition, L'Auto, decided it had to get into the game and do something to attract readers. L'Auto launched its own bicycle race - a multi-stage, multi-day race around France - in 1903.  The famous yellow jersey is that colour because L'Auto was printed on yellow-tinted paper.

The circulation of L'Auto took off and, in 1904, Le Vélo went out of business.

When was the last time any current newspaper did anything like this to attract reader attention? Do newspapers still have promotions and marketing people? Or, do newspapers sell themselves?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:32 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: Tour de France
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Bingo ,was a big thing through many decades . It was interactive . People also  liked the crossword puzzle ( lots of cheating there to)  .Had to buy a paper to make both work.  Giving away content is very popular.   Didn't William Randolph Hearst “furnish a war”  with  Cuba in 1897 , all he requested was a photographer .

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:22 AM by Ken Gigliotti »

David Lipnowski

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:26 AM »
Speaking of Le Tour, I am currentely in France covering Le Tour For PezCyclingNews.com

If anyone is interesting in seeing my work, I've posted a link with my first 5 days over here: http://recent-work-blog.tumblr.com/post/54779937107/i-am-in-currently-in-france-covering-the-100th

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: Tour de France
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Speaking of Le Tour, I am currentely in France covering Le Tour For PezCyclingNews.com

If anyone is interesting in seeing my work, I've posted a link with my first 5 days over here: http://recent-work-blog.tumblr.com/post/54779937107/i-am-in-currently-in-france-covering-the-100th

Nicely done David,  a very cool selection and collection of photos.  I like the fact that captured and showed
the 'fans and feature style' pics :)

Cheers,

Jack Simpson