Author Topic: Image usage and contest entry  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Andrej Ivanov

• Professional
  • Toronto, ON
    • Andrej Ivanov Photography
    • Email
Image usage and contest entry
« on: March 11, 2016, 04:13 PM »
Hey folks, I have a bit of a conundrum I would love some input on. I took this image the night of Justin Trudeau's election, at the Queen E. Now, I never sent it in for publication, as I had promised the woman in question that it will only be used for school purposes (a promise I did in fact honor.. it is not even in my portfolio). Thing is, I would love to enter it in a the Student Photojournalist of the Year. I am uncertain whether I should or even CAN due to to fact that I promised the woman I would only use it for class purposes. The caption (for context): MONTREAL, QUEBEC - OCTOBER 19 2015: Pierrette Brossard [a fake name she gave me], a schoolteacher near Ottawa, weeps tears of joy as Justin Trudeau is announced as Prime Minister. Her husband is abroad and she wept because Trudeau's election meant he could come home. <Photo by Andrej Ivanov/Concordia
Photojournalism Class>

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:20 PM by Andrej Ivanov »

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
Re: Image usage and contest entry
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 05:55 PM »
Honour the promise otherwise what good is your word ? There will be much tougher decisions in your career so consider this a test.

Fred

Moe Doiron

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 06:05 PM »
No is no. But if you have her contact info you could ask her permission to enter the contest and explain how it's being used.

Btw, you just published it.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 06:09 PM »
If you do enter it and your portfolio wins, then your pictures get published in the Pictures of the Year book which pretty much contradicts your promise not to publish it.

This isn't a once-in-a-lifetime photo and your portfolio shouldn't suffer without it.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Andrej Ivanov

• Professional
  • Toronto, ON
    • Andrej Ivanov Photography
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Thank you guys :) I appreciate the input! And I agree with all of you :)