Author Topic: Hipstamatic App - U should sit down  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Hipstamatic App - U should sit down
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:33 AM »

My name is ken and I will be your photographer  today .We are serving two specials, one wide angle and one telephoto , the daily journalistic menu special also features a  chef's  choice that may intrigue. ( i can screw up the spelling of a three letter word , why can't good  ideas write themselves )
 A good line to use when the reporter refers to you as “my photographer” and not “the photographer” or as I prefer “Thee or Thy” photographist or the modern and accurate Mr. Special Digital Online Imaging Maker 3.0 dude .
  I was forwarded a piece written apparently  defending the  use of the Histamatic app by a photographer at the Hartford Currant . http://courantblogs.com/photo/2012/05/iphone-therefore-iam/ Change is coming now in great waves .
  The  thoughts on the subject had all my favourite  phrases . Many have religious overtones that I love the most. When I speak of the Holy Church of Journalism , my buddies in the darkroom usually just roll there eyes  .  There really is a church . There was one back in the day   in Toronto called Ryerson  with it's monastery on Church St called Henry& Co . There was a whole year devoted to  putting photos of yourself  on T-Shirts and pillows.
  This is not the Unitarian brand where  it is still OK to wave a prop over your head while taking the picture  and getting everyone to say cheese. It always works.
  This church I speak of is hardcore , it describes the the frame as “sacrosanct” , and the moment you snap the photo as “moment of creation” . This stuff you don't mess with , this somewhere between a church with the words , orthodox or reform attached  it. You gotta be in Rome or Greece to say this stuff .
   I must belong to the Catholic version where the words “practicing” and “non practicing” still have street cred. Country club and Jacks Bar , officer and non-com come to mind . Your supposed to hold arugula  as a prop now.
    If Christianity has such variations I guess the church of Journalism  does too.
   There are just so many interpretations of the bible it is too hard to make any sense. Very hard to keep up with the lingo . Our field has so many contradictions  and rules and ethics it is amazing any pictures get taken at all.
   There are still a few dinosaurs around that know that the ethics of photojournalism were invented to  protect photographers from , over zealous , crazy or drunk editors all wanting “cheese cake pictures” spring , summer and fall. Hire a model get them to , jump for joy , dance in the streets pictures .
  “Get them to ...” anyone heard this phrase ? Hum. Or how about “JUST get them to...! like your JUST some kind of idiot. Photography for a newspaper is WAY harder than that .
   The photographer would JUST say , Oh I can't do that anymore because we have ethics now . Couldn't get fired for that .Thank god for ONPA  , NPPA. One photog actually came back with real cheese cake after struggling with the dilemma  all afternoon.
  Yes I haves sinned , I have done “dancing in the streets”  and that other thing  back in the day before ethics. But not now , we have been SAVED. Now we have ethics , we are detached except for sports events  ,where headlines read , “WE Win “ or “They Loose” and everything is suspended for Grey Cups and Stanley Cups , and Our team is our team. Contradictions ,you really have to read the newspaper everyday to remember where we stand  ethically , because  it may be  that special ethics stat holiday .
  The High Church also struggles with how the eye sees. IT sees both wide 180 degrees  and narrow , focussing sharply to only a few degrees . Much talk is made when enhancing the the image . The narrow focus of the eye travels subtly and subjectively along pathways from one highlight to another , it also penetrates deep shadow effortlessly depending on the point of interest.
   There are  “store clerks “ who simplify the  argument to just seeing what the “dumb' card  sees. This raises the final , finished photograph , not too the hiegth’s of an Ansel Adams or Eugene Smith but to the more worldly station of Walmart machine operator. Yuk! Double YUK !
  More contradictions , If the eye sees in an extreme wide view why didn't the Widelux camera with it's distortion free  image become a standard  photo journalists purist camera instead of the bendy , distorted  fisheye or super wide lens. In what non aquatic  world does a fisheye exist. Can a stitched photo taken seconds apart be real enough?
  If the standard is seeing what the sensor or film sees ,how can we accept seeing something on film that the eye does not see . Take the  curious case of the silhouette ,the eye will always see detail in the shadow and not empty , and pure black.
   What about the multi exposure action photo? 
   Police departments could not use digital cameras because the image could be altered , even that has changed.
   Why does everyone  in our field call our work “art” when we bristle at being called artists .If we are not artists then our work is not art.
   What do the purists  say about adding lighting , umbrellas , filters , HUH?! Apparently not much .
Here is the catch , if the media  is altered during the “instant of creation” , all is forgiven. This is akin to a papal ... i forget the word , but it is good if you are really uncomfortable with breaking commandments.
This is a case of premeditation , controlling the uncontrollable , the commercialization of the photographic aspect  of journalism . Yessss I said it . The biggest contradiction of all.
   The setting up of a photograph , saaay Whaaaat?
  Do we or do we not set up  photos? , do we or do we not ask people to do things again ?Confused again , has the pope ruled this a stat day.  My head hurts , the contradictions . Appently you can set it up if it  is a good photo , but not if it is a bad photo.  Great Rule , like , I before E , except after C or sometimes Y.
  There must be some kinda pagan-pre-christian-journalism , rule free  , free flowing get the thing done in 10 minutes because there is a fire , and this is really a headshot kinda belief system .The agnostic newspaper photography ship of the damned . Agnostic , that sounds about right .Histamatic , if it sticks to the wall ...? Photography has always been about embracing  change , somethings stick some don't. The practices of LIFE photographers were inspiration to generations .
  Oh Yea , our pictures sit side by side inside  the editorial product with other pictures . They  compete with hand out photos , publicity photos , Facebook photos , unverified citizen journalist photos , retouched , airbrushed cloned and altered in ungodly ways and other ways too. Everyone  seems exempt from rules but us .Yes there is a God and only the few will make into his Kingdom . These pictures that run side by side are delievered by the same network that sets  all the rules for staff photographers but not for other content.Contradictions on contradictions. What about design , designers have fun with our pictures too , creating large black ares that were not there before to put type  and headlines in .
 Through all the change I have seen the only common element I can find is our responsibility to our readers , in my town .If the reader gets to see something they have never seen before , so be it. If it works at a local it will stick at higher levels. How do we test and varify new innovations if not at the local level. Those picture were pretty good. Can a wire phot standard be applied to every picture . THis is a local picture with new technlogy , it is coming in unstopable waves. The photographer commands the picture and the design aspect , maybe a new thing , journalistc art.
  The photographer was compelled to use the Histamatic ap , not becuase he had to , but because it said ssomething to him . He may feel he can find that edge everyone  wants . Other wise it is just another crappy cellphone camera picture .Some will see it as away to liberate the smartphone , professionalize it.
  Chef's choice , an editor has no obligation to use a staff photographers  picture , they show that over and over again.  Even though , exclusive content seems to be a matra , we ship our content everywhere so it can be used for free . The news is repetitive and so is the treatment , everyone is satified with that until they see something different. An editor will pick  different , if not from staff , by someone else . Change the treatment. Set our people free .This ROCKSTAR app combines photography and design and the photog has control of it. Any local editor would pic these photos for a story , they look that different.
Sooner or later “just anybody” will  be the first  to send in to high value news pic  shot on some ROCKSTAR  App  and all the rules go out the window. Multi media photogs  and regulars will be handed  camera phones and they will take pictures with them . It compares  to  new 35mm cameras in the age  2&1/4”s .Different kinds of pictures will be made , the technology will overwhelm  all the rules . Rock on . Not me though , I still can't figure out my new flash. I still call ISO ,ASA . My Sunday Rant .If anyone is offended , there is an App for that . In our business the photographer has always been the outlet for an editorial product with too many rules . Reporters and editors love it when we say things with our cameras they cannot say with words . There are no standards for that.  Getting Old Sucks  , our product is old .
 There may be a app that alters photos  styles of ordinary  hobbiest  to simulate the greatest photographers that ever walked the  earth , what do you think would happen then. We would get old photographers that could spell .

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:17 PM by Ken Gigliotti »

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Re: Hipstamatic App - U should sit down
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:59 AM »
Hipstamatic is planning to launch its Hipstamatic Foundation for Photojournalism:o

Seriously.

The purpose is to educate and support the next generation of photographic storytellers using smartphones with Hipstamatic.

Really.

Hipstamatic CEO was quoted as saying, "The idea behind it is to create an educational platform, where professionals will be able give some of their time to educate up-and-coming photographers on how to go into Libya, for example, and not get shot."

Yeah, right.

Maybe advice like: During covert runs, set your phone to vibrate. Or maybe: when walking among injured war victims, make sure your ringtone is set to something appropriate like Lady Gaga's "Don't Give Up".

A cellphone and a $2 app and you're the next James Nachtwey. Wrap a scarf around your neck and head off to the nearest war zone because Time magazine is waiting.

One of the folks involved with this endeavor said: "I think there's a danger of [Hipstamatic] becoming too cliché".

Hey, that train left the station a long time ago. We're now coming up to a station named "parody".

This is obviously a marketing ploy by Hipstamatic to keep itself popular amongst its competition and to raise the product beyond novelty status. By sheer coincidence, the launch of the foundation will coincide with the launch of its new apps.

Had Hipstamatic attained favour amongst shopping mall passport-picture-takers, I'm sure it would start a foundation to help educate and support the next generation of mall workers.  ::)

When will folks realize that the point behind photojournalism is the picture content, not the picture frame?  The undying strength of photojournalism comes from what a photograph says, not how it looks.

But, as every politician knows, when you have nothing to say, at least look good saying it.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:28 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Louie Palu

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 12:09 PM »
British Journal of Photography interview with Jean Francois Leroy, Director of the PJ Festival in Perpignan, France.

"...I'm fed up with these Hipstamatic and Instagram images. When you're shooting a trash bin using Instagram, you end up with a pretty picture, but the photographer has nothing to do with it."

Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/interview/2190873/an-interview-with-visa-pour-limages-jeanfran-ois-leroy#ixzz21wDfF11C

(Edit: just cleaned up the link - Warren Toda)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:30 PM by Warren Toda »

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: Hipstamatic App - U should sit down
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 02:31 PM »
 Innovations are often looked at , always looked at , by purists as bad thing . The pure image is always king .  BUT we work in a field of daily reporting where journalism is a part time job. Daily Newspaper  reporting  is often  repetitive , covering the same thing  at the same time every year .
  Newspaper readers have seen it all before , we are tied to repetition . Just try changing a type face, drop a cartoon ,or change in anyway . Everyone likes everything in exactly the same place and exactly the same way . So we die slowly , with no fear , we have done it every year the same way .It feels safe.
  Photographers have always resisted repetition , but they do not control what assignments they get , how much time they spend there , or even if the pictures will run . In fact we have very little control over most of what we do. Any editor with a pair of scissors routinely  close CUT (i mean really cut photos)   when it was a fad way back when . It is still around , big time in every newspaper .
  We cannot be against new treatments . Not all of us , most of us ,  will not get international assignments , we still work everyday , do the same things as always.
   We still control what passes from our cameras . We still can shake a  few  people up every now and then . It keeps us alive and undemocratic.
  Look at Time Magazine July 23 2012 , One a Day , feature story on one US soldier committing suicide everyday .
That is one “BURNED “ cover picture , again inside Syria's risky Arms Race – the sky , wow I can see the sky , P.1  African delegates  looking at anti aircraft missiles . The “ hand of God” still lives .
 Interestingly it seems the burned cover shot of a US soldier , heavy sky burned to the waist of his uniform is similar technique that was used that got a designer fired not long ago . O.J Simpson mugshot cover .
  Sometimes it is good to release some gas . Just to see if anyone is paying attention .