Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Rethinking Old Ideas and Assumptions Pt.2 The Possible Newspaper Futures

The year is clicking over to 2021 and one can imagine future outcomes for the newspaper business (NPB). If you say the NPB isn't going anywhere, that is both a probable and a likely outcome. A best possible outcome is also in the cards putting the NPB in an upward trajectory. It is all about vision.

One thing that is overlooked is the infrastructure of Canadian newspapers located from coast to coast. What if all newspapers cooperated in one area, for example culture. This would mean creating reporting on the vastness and depth of Canadian culture without the usual filters  in a way never possible before. In a way only online technology could achieve. It could be contribution of  words both non-fiction and fiction, poetry, prose, facts and art,still pictures and videos. This would be conceived in all six directions (east, west, north south, up and down fallowing the sun on a daily direction.

This is something best kept simple. Survey local fashion, art, and design as well as what is on the minds of people across the country in random but concerted wave. These are the things people most care about in a personal way, everything else flows from that. As a news photographer driving the streets of Winnipeg, new trends become apparent with those one or two people walking down the street ,they stand out. The message spreads and trends originate. It almost always with the young and brave. These are not followers but unintentional leaders in the truest sense. We once had a reporter who walked the streets looking for these outliers.

It is conceivable the Heritage department of the federal government might want to support the project. Anyway it would be a way to scale up the local NPB in away it can make money the way websites traditionally do. A short tradition. This can be Canadians speaking to each other in a direct way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a good debate going on with BBC HARDtalk host Steven SackThis is something best kept simple. ur and Newsmax (NMX) CEO Chris Ruddy. My thought first thought  was old school vs upstart. But it really feels like Old Testament vs New Testament media. Old Testament,established, an eye for an eye, inflexible, arrogant, traditional  and guided by many rules both written and unwritten. The New Testament, new, unformed, confident, flexible, anything goes, forgiving,  appealing to those who have seen  the old as just old. The BBC World News is not a typical cable news channel, it feels like a newspaper and even has a time slot called The Papers that looks at newspaper front pages from around the world on a daily basis. The BBC news feels much like the news of the 1970's and 80's,purposely dull, definitive and low key.

The BBC news, at it's core the best of news telling in a 1960's -1970's way. North American news has a 90's feel with a 1979 peak Disco DNA vibe mixed in. Disco,the predominantly  white, heterosexual, urban middle class and disposable, shaken not stirred progressive openness. It's a lot about a look,but not in a visual way. More of an accessory, the disco ball is transformed into moving background colors and shapes, tickers, adorning commentators and news readers. A touch of colonialism, capitalism and elitism hovering in control of the space. 

In the newspaper business we bring the readers the problems when  the readers are looking for answers.
The fully formed and mature newspaper business knew the white Anglo Saxon demographic, they grew to know the boomers,but they are now once again searching. Fleet Street-er's knew the levers to pull and  the valves to turn in the newspapers business because they knew the word/press culture. They knew the Anglo Saxon reader. They knew the mechanics of an industrial aged medium and industrial workers.
The online product brings new and diverse people into the newspaper tent. As they gain confidence the content and courage will grow. It doesn't need perfection nor should it be sought. 

Social media is moving ,Twitter may be replaced by a more aggressive Parler. This is a business of building, tearing down and rebuilding with ever increasing speed. It is technology speeding toward artificial intelligence, a science fiction future.

In a recent BBC HARDtalk interview between host Steven Sackur and Newsmax (NMX) CEO Chris Ruddy regarding Joe Biden's election certification. The new conservative voice NMX waited till the election was officially certified. The debate was a good match up of journalism past (aggressive and prepared tabloid interview, with ,I am right, I am always right, attitude) and a start up, a fast growing online news organization , aggressively and equally prepared. Sackur slightly confuses and  frustrated by Ruddy, knows his  advantage is slipping , he says, “I think very hard about who we bring on HARDtalk, who we give a platform to, and what kind of messages it sends.”The debate moved to some hard pivots about Twitter posts and ended in a draw favoring Ruddy who lost a point on a poor phrase use.
Ruddy knows his medium, Sackur knows his. The BBC wins and it's viewers win. Online information media is formidable and growing.
A new and growing news product, is it a threat? Who knows? New and growing is actually a bigger point of interest. It is knowing about the levers and modifying the product to the technology not the opposite.

I immediately thought of an exchange on CNN in the days after the shocking 2016 Presidential Election after a crestfallen CNN host said they didn't see it coming. The aspirations of the first female president and again faulty polling betrayed bias. Progressive hope over substance. The person he was talking to said, there were people who were predicting the Trump win , but you would never see them on CNN. Bias is in the selection of content.

This,for me was an aha moment. It is the systemic bias of journalism. Modern journalism picks sides. It's core values line up with aspirations and objectivity blurred. The public begins to separate, news becomes suspect along political lines. These moments can be exploited. These moments should never exist.
It showed again in the prime time commentary after the first Trump/Biden Debate. A visibly upset senior CNN reporter called Trumps performance a “Sh/t Show,”and other CNN senior reporter was practically in tears over the debate. Crying for democracy. Not sure if anyone at the BBC would be crying on the air. The debate was not pretty and by any other standard should have lost the election for Trump with a resignation right there. Even though he did lose, he gained about eleven million votes more than he won with in 2016. In England they call it brass. The deplorables came out in droves for both sides. Democracy in action.

Newsmax was launched in 1998 and is considered an influential American conservative media that is positioning itself to compete with FOX News Channel started in 1996 by Rupert Murdoch as a conservative  news  channel. By 201l (2014 TV channel)it was the top rated news channel with 2.5 million viewers. NM has a pretty interesting origin story of it's own and recent history with Trump moving toward the website after seemly abandoning Fox. The future may have close connections with Donald Trumps post presidency years. In the US there was a need for conservative ideas in media and Fox and now Newsmax is there to fill it. In Canada, not so much, but there are need to be filled at progressive ideals fail to produce results. The optimistic ideas that more money and ten years are falling flat with those last twenty years producing very slow moving results. Canada's position in the world  post 9/11 soft power is slipping, with the United Nations , India, Saudi Arabia, China and the Philippines. Canada needs to rethink it's projection of soft power. The NPB has a roll to play in this future also. 

There was not a lot of competition for conservative leaning news on 1990's TV. Anyway the NM website is growing and  catering to higher income Boomers, and those over the age of 45, with 54.7 average age. It sells political, financial, health,self help books and vitamins. There have been a few stories about the NM website and it is listed with credible conservative competitors in that space. It does publish conspiracy theories. Interesting fact the family of the late former CIA director William Casey where among the early investors of Newsmax. With newspapers in mind that demographic would be older in any  given year although it aspires to a much lower aged group.
It seems to me a newspaper should display conspiracy theories on a regular basis. Boomers were raised with them. I don't think anyone took them seriously because real stories with facts dogged them. There is some truth to every theory. If people are interested in conspiracies then newspapers should be to.  Sometimes conspiracy theories are just imaginative entertainment, they are easy to remember, and good water cooler talk. If they exist only in un-monitiored uncontested space they can much more dangerous, repeated and becomes half truths.

Conspiracy theories are part of human nature, this is were governments and newspapers and TV are failing. Never, never say the conspiracy is untrue because “there is NO evidence to back it up.” It makes them more determined. It is a word trap used by lawyers. I have heard conspiracy theories working everyday  from editors, they are called story ideas not written yet. Unsubstantiated claims uses two credible ideas to debunk falsehoods.

From my time in the business, the NPB had always aspired to a group it would never get, 18-35,especially with the rise of online competition of all forms.

Interestingly, the big new for-profit churches also capture the same demographic as Newsmax. Guilt free acceptance of wealth has an attraction in that circle.

Guilt and shaming play an increasing roll in progressive media. Progressive ideals are breaking down with the realization of the negative effects of globalism. It is bullying in it's saddest incarnation. That is not a role for journalism,but by the same token neither are conspiracy theories., or political speculation based on some issues (fear) taken to worst case scenarios and others (progressive add money and ten years)to dizzying positive potentials of problems that have been chronically dismal for the last few decades and getting worse. It is simply projecting bias , evoking unrealistic future fear that should not exist and enriching departments that administered taxpayer money.

With Covid and climate change,the same question is faced, economics vs THE  ISSUE.

The way it looks, is that Newsmax knows it's place in the online space just as publicly financed BBC knows it's place. The current place newspapers hold is   getting technology to adapt to it. In technology based media,media adapts to technology seeking more intense and enhanced media. The newspaper way promotes NPB changing every little as technology runs forward. The NPB is the perfect product, it right, it is always right and perfect. This is the modern Catch 22 of heritage media.

Is there anything  the newspaper business can learn? Opinion by Ken Gigliotti
Some Bold Ideas For The Newspaper Business – Good News and Higher Hopes

Congratulations to the people of the newspaper business,Covid-19 could not stop you, nor kill it. If Covid can't kill the newspaper business nothing will. Good Things for 2021.

Just imagining the challenge in an events driven industry with no events. Ordinary things were just canceled. The life blood of advertising in a tourniquet, with businesses closed or shutdown, along with sports  and entertainment. With periods of low ads, low activity or actual complete shutdowns the newspaper business survives. That is something to celebrate, something to be proud of.

This digital age is new and not nearly understood,it lures children and adults towards obsession, and it only just getting started. News media  is just beginning to understands the digital age. Be strong, aggressive and agile.

The one thing for sure is the digital online age will present hard fought arguments that mirror the conflict between the economy and public health. Just a the abortion issue created a stalemate, pitting religion against a woman's right to choose, and the next issue environment vs the economy will be just as heated,resulting debate,misinformation and political and social polarization. Let us not forget state sponsored disinformation. The  Covid-19 response is the perfect template for the study of public communication.

There are many side arguments and the newspaper business can rededicate itself to the great issues of our time,in a way it hasn't ever done. The time frame  is the next twenty five years. It may mean abandoning traditional story lines to include those fore and against in a debate of methods , science, and social impact. The good guy/bad guy, good vs. evil story lines will only engage hard line positions. People need to be convinced to embrace new ideas and rethink old assumptions.

Print gives the readers time to think and consider in ways spoken media cannot replicate. Climate change is a subject that will take time.

What can be learned is blindsiding catastrophes are mounting. They are being dealt from nature to being self inflicted and combinations of both. Social order has been stressed to a point of shredding and governments ability to respond to new stages of disorder are limited by mortgaging this present disorder. The old Soviet Union was driven by the West to bankruptcy,in a sense global bankruptcy is an ominous and real  threat.

There is an opportunity for the newspaper business to reset. This quote fell out of a magazine recently. It is Atlantic Magazine's motto, Discover new ideas. Rethink old assumptions. Good advice and there is a real shortage of “rethinking,” going on. It seem people are clinging dogmatically to ideas in a time when they feel threatened. To me I have been “rethinking old assumptions,” for sometime now. Polarization has put normally smart people in their respective corners to do nothing more than absorb the punches. The agile forces are the ones not driven by ideology but are more strategy driven, in boxing it would be counter punching. Take a hit, hit back fast and hard, keep the hands up high, dropping your hands brings a knockout.

The newspaper business can position itself in it's traditional stance of a broker of ideas creating debates, fostering clear exchanges, airing grievances and using the coming years to come to consensus in the public realm rather than have chaos when clear thinking needs to be a priority.
Changing public attitudes will take years, the fast political/election influenced solutions creates short sighted and  bad outcomes.

Their is a particularity positive and  inspiring commercial running. The commercial for NFL Nex Gen Stats that record location data from players including speed,acceleration and probability.
The visual revolves around an NFL highlight run, the player explains his thinking, initially getting the hand off ,surrounded by 4 players,chance of success 14%. He says, “I can live with that,” then vaults over the defenders to score.

What are the chances every country in the world participates in a positive climate change mitigation. I am guessing 14%. Does every country need to? The three major countries have the greatest chance of success if they can be seen in a clear spotlight.

The chances of a unique way of thinking are very high,just as the Covid-19 vaccine came from completely new technology. The newspaper business working not as separate entities but as an information trust can take the temperature of the entire country if it can learn to think in those terms. 

“I can live with that,” It can be a call to action. The failure to thrive in this past four years high news environment should be the motivation to change. Things cannot go back to normal.

Newspaper people are hard to inspire,they live in the dark side of history, forever and always busy and negative. The beat system has reached it's limitations. I lived and thrived in that space for nearly 40 years at great cost.

I cannot bare, this attitude of being exploited by intentional disruptions leaving, senseable, smart and good people reeling and still clinging to ideas that have aged out. New and dominant technology, distracts ,hypnotizing, capturing attention of it's users starting with the youngest at age 3-4 preying on the former quality of being busy, to passing the point of no return obsession.  It is a high participation distraction, that is pulling vast herds of people into a off balanced vortex ,spinning just off center, creating just enough of a wobble to change society for the better or the opposite. It is too soon to tell.
Spinning and wobbling with out clear purpose means that it's prize is up for grabs.

I am generally a positive person but always had to adjust my attitude when ever entering a newsroom.
By observing and studying positive sports coaching  from high school to the pros on the job, and finding a variety of new ideas on display in both TV and advertising content.  These mediums create a simulations worth considering regarding the energies and flows of  both mainstream and innovative culture moving initiatives.  Those ideas can be considered and blended in various directions.

Peleton cycling might be a good example of seizing competition, exercise and convenience to an obsessive commercial end. It was made for Covid-19 isolation. It beats the idea hell out of riding a stationary bike, the idea of stationary re-branded. Brilliant. It is convergent thinking, blending and rethinking old assumptions.

I learned to survive the negative fog always present in covering news. There is always a chance at victory as long as there is time on the clock. I also learned, what I call the pro player attitude,it is the complete disregard for momentum dismissing immediate past actions. Goalies and quarterbacks are said to have short memories for the last goal or incomplete pass. They  move forward not being effected by the last play. A player learns to win every down, take every responsibility in every play,execute without penalty, and when given the chance ,to close the play with success, you just take it. It is an individual  to group mentality that starts from the very top of every organization. It moves toward a more perfect union. This may be the chance the newspaper business needs to take.
A more perfect union between the product and the public through ideas and sense of common purpose not traditional conflict.

I have from the first day in my first newsroom felt the business flawed and good people had to adapt themselves to the flaws. The justification, it and I made a lot of money. Now it doesn't. Time for a reset and content is on the table.

If information is power, just what kind of power are we talking about. With so many platforms  is that power making people stronger, or is it doing something else?

There is a silver lining. Chances for success,14%, I can live with that, because communicating is something we can always do better. News is one thing, it is not the only thing.
Opinion by Ken Gigliotti Dec.2020
General Discussion / Microsoft class action
« Last post by Warren Toda on December 21, 2020, 10:25 PM »
If you are a Canadian PC user who purchased Microsoft Windows, Office, Word, Excel or Works between December 23, 1998, and March 11, 2010, then you can make a claim  in this settlement. This includes buying a PC that had the Microsoft software already installed. No Mac users need apply.

The bad news is that you can get only $13 for Windows, $8 for Office and $6 for other eligible software. If you bought multiple PCs over the 12 years, you can make a claim for each computer. No receipts are required if you're claiming under $250.

Is it worth your while?
General Discussion / A Christmas Miracle America
« Last post by Ken Gigliotti on December 15, 2020, 02:26 PM »
A Christmas Miracle, Next Time Will Be Different America

The merry disruptor president from the corporate side,
Offered not a chicken for every pot,
But a pot for every 401K.
Compromised corporate media fought opposing daily battles,
Talk television a never ending bluster stream.
Platoons of speakers relay repeating themes.
The biggest democracy picked nearly clean of decency.
A four year daily battle. Millions of words.
They would say anything,do anything
and get next to nothing done for their pay.
Agenda pushing to the absurd.
Reporting always in the worst case.
Lies of joy from king's throne.
No one believes anything anymore.
Militias armed and permits to carry,
walk the streets looking for something worth defending.
Protesters march and anarchists hijack,
Media present but mindfully absent.
Caught up in the noise.
Everyone talking and no one listening.
Burning and looting everyday for a month.
Media rush to report, fueling the misguided rage.
Social justice vs supremacy, resulting in chaos.
Stepping backwards to status quo and no way forward.
A perfect storm, a tidal wave of discontent and dereliction of duty,
lawyers scurry with  brief cases stuffed with nonsense,
and happily bill by the hour.
Totally American. America gamed from the first tweet..

The electorate stood guard , the last line of democracy, the electors too.
A Christmas miracle.
Where was duty in the last four years.
How much warped stupidity had to be endured.
Traditions gamed.
Even  absurdity became a farce.
When it is finally done and every deadline met,
There will be a meet'en about this in this morning after, of discontent.
This states rights mess, a masked strategy, pushing all the limits of bias,
enduring hundreds of years of outrage, evil vs evil,
sane vs insane , hijacked back
and flipped to a righteous and blessed,
to an unqualified perfect union.
Next time it will be different.

By Ken Gigliotti
General Discussion / Re: Money Scam Using NPAC Contact List- Beware
« Last post by Ryan McLeod on December 14, 2020, 01:27 PM »
I have had this conversation with a few members. Don't just look at the basic details on the email header, expand the email from field and you'll see exactly what email address is actually sending the email to you.

Like Warren said above, this situation is frustrating, but no one has hacked our email addresses. they just spoof the names to make it look like it.
General Discussion / Re: Money Scam Using NPAC Contact List- Beware
« Last post by Warren Toda on December 10, 2020, 06:51 PM »
If you get an email claiming to be from NPAC, an NPAC executive or another NPAC member, and the email asks for money or your password, or the email includes an invoice or requests an urgent payment, or the email says the person is stranded in another country with no cash, credit cards or passport, it is always a scam.

It's easy to make an email appear to be coming from someone you know.

If in doubt, directly email the (NPAC) person who supposedly sent you the email. Do not use the "reply" button but use the addresses on our Contact page.

NPAC will *not* send you an email asking for money, asking you to pay a bill or asking for your password.

NPAC *will* send you an automated email to let you know that your membership is about to expire. This email will not ask for immediate cash and will not include an invoice. The email will only include a link to our site's Store which uses https.

General Discussion / Pre Plan Shut-Downs and Save Lives and Buisness
« Last post by Ken Gigliotti on December 10, 2020, 12:28 PM »
Something to think about. Planning lock downs to coincide with the business cycle and around Covid spreader dates. Hindsight is always 20/20.
So we had restrictions on business activity announce just before Halloween mostly because of Thanksgiving being a spreader event.
Like most people we were holding off on buying treats. There was a lot of uncertainty from government right up to that weekend. Halloween wasn't canceled but the mayor of Winnipeg expressed his concern on the Friday one day before, effectively canceling the trick or treating, more like tricking. We had no kids as did most people. I ate most the candy myself,good deal for me.
He business community orders product for all the social statutory holidays and I guess they got a break,but saving Halloween meant canceling Christmas.

The shutdowns are meant to flatten the curve and save space for health care and ICU beds. So it may have  caused the second wave because Covid was well established and any letting down of guards turned the Flu back on. The thinking was flawed. There is no way the second wave (more like a continuation of the first wave) should have been so severe. The nursing homes, come on!

Last year Easter was canceled.
This year with the prospect of churches losing last Easter and this Christmas there was some major major push-back from some of the for-profit churches and big fines even for outdoor services. The traditional churches have bit their lips but these are big days for churches most of which struggle at the best of times. The uncertainty around ordering product for stores and restaurants causes much anxiety because they get such short notice  for shut-downs based on numbers and science. The things we know are these big days cause the spread. The stores and restaurant and every business to barbershops have taken legitimate steps to keep people safe. The mask orders still came late but are now common place.

The Covid Flu is going to be  with us  through the next year even with a vaccine. The things we know should save lives and businesses at the same time.

So why not plan shutdowns a before or after  stat holidays in the slow parts of the year and open up for the busy with a shutdown in January-Feb, the summer or early fall  or October. It seems like every statutory holiday is now a major shopping day. Either sacrifice the small ones to save the big ones or a hard shutdown & quarantines for two or more weeks after the major days. The shutdowns are bleak, people just go shopping for something to do. During the the shutdowns the streets are bare no one moves because there is no where to go. If the spreader event with precautions is mitigated by a planned hard shutdown especially among the killer spreader demographic, bars and not restaurants things might help the situation both medical and business. opinion ken gigliotti
General Discussion / Money Scam Using NPAC Contact List- Beware
« Last post by Ken Gigliotti on December 10, 2020, 11:39 AM »
I was contacted about a money scam,the person is using the NPAC contact email list. I have to assume it is a scam,so beware.
General Discussion / Word Traps and The Stories We Tell Each Other
« Last post by Ken Gigliotti on December 09, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Word Traps and the Stories We Tell Each Ourselves - Strive For Original Thinking- Clear Thinking- Crazy Eh!

Part 2 of Saving Polar Bears-A big Idea from WW2 (as if it wasn't long enough already)

We need big stories to tell ourselves and our grandchildren. These stories we tell have to be very different from the ones we have all grown up with. These have become word traps that evolve with good intentions,then devolve to anxious obsessions to be maintained.

What happens  when the stories we tell ourselves become obsessions,ones leading to ways we develop new technologies. Over time feeding those obsessions leads to the point of total failure and exhaustion of all the the glues and patches that hold  all things together?

The rising prices or availability of food caused the French Revolution, and preceded unrest causing the Arab Spring, rebellion across North Africa and in Syria. Then there was the grand daddy of revolts in 1918 Russia. “Let them eat cake,” was one of those stories people in power told themselves. Is that happening in the US with lack of safety net support?
According to The World Central Kitchen and Feeding America, one in six Americans and one in four children are going hungry due to the Covid crisis coupled with government stalled plans to bring aid the poor.

What are the stories political parties tell themselves, same for religious leaders and communication networks. What are individuals learning,believing as they scroll through philosophy and science and faith. What happens when these stories become obsessive and the stories can no longer sustain themselves? What happens when political parties no longer work for the people, and people begin to work for government? It is said God uses good people and evil people use God. What happens when information is too good for rating and revenues and bad for people. Change happens. Stories get flipped. That change can take many  forms including...WW1 &WW2 , Korea,Vietnam,the Middle East etc...

It all looks like what we have today, brought on by the Covid-19. It looks like that. It looks like nature and God sending messages in the clearest way possible. The indomitable human spirit again fails to hear and pushes those stories it tells itself, just a little bit further up hill. The human spirit rolls that rock back up the mountain one more time. Once again the powers that be and there are many powers ,offer remedial redemption. Not a cure but a vaccine to the problems of mankind with a flu pandemic smarter than any that came before. Flattening the curve does not kill the problem,it just keeps coming in waves.
The human race can tell itself it will win again, because that is what it does in a race.

WW2 tells us about desperate failings, leading to aggression with a running start, against the comfortably complacent. The need for humans to have something to do, is a compliment to those stories they are being told.

The most recent desperate fight for the soul of America is the most recent and documented story we tell ourselves of the limits of pushing common sense and denial to it's limits, amid mounting, spreading ,  destructive social pandemic of  decline , rising anger and worldwide inequity. Washing hands, social distance and mask wearing a metaphor taken to the ultimate absurdity of human existence. Not talking about Covid here. An existential threat. First a threat to the strongest democracy in the world, then the rest will fall easily. It will only take a click of a novel send button.
Another mythical push button war, this time the convenience of  a voice activated push button society.

The actual pandemic that exposed all the layers, of all the falsehoods, of all the fictions ever repeated and written and thought to keep the peace. Amid the pandemic is the climate change clock. There is always a clock. Have  we  seen too many clocks? As Clint Eastwood's character,Dirty Harry talking in the third person  would say in a movie, “did he fire six shots or only five? We as humanity some would say, who's counting, as the 44 caliber hand gun ,the most powerful in the world is pointed squarely at  each of us, “One has to ask themselves one question, do I feel lucky”.

A comedian recently said “Boomers,” are obsessed with WW2 ,what test are they studying for? Many Boomers grew up in the shadow of WW2 with photos of dead uncles in uniform sitting on top of the newest greatest invention, the television set. So what test ARE we studying for... Security has become an obsession because of the stories that have been told to us , repeated by us ,and taken to obsession. What are the stories told today. Theses new stories  have been  flipped include excessive consumption, don't save-spend from past generations of save-don't consume narratives.  The word “save” has intrinsic means as does “consume.” The story of consumption told and retold has brought civilized and uncivilized to the same point in history. We all face a natural systems collapse, and a clock. Do you feel lucky? For many Covid will get them the most savings they will ever have for a long time. Spend wisely.

We have to ask ourselves and re-examine these stories we have been told and the stories we repeat and why they exist, before we see the most personal of inequity forced upon each and everyone of us.

The answer has been for the last 120 years, a plane and a gun. From controlling the seas, a ship and a gun, from the century before, to potent combination and obsessive stalemate of mutually assured destruction didn't go far enough. This next century will be a keyboard and a gun. The gun always wins when matched with every new technology. Just as a person cannot surrender to an airplane , they can surrender to a keyboard.

Human hope will be at a premium, and in a bureaucratic way,there will be a pill for that.

With every planned social order, the most underrated aspect comes down to,not if they have a roof over their heads or food in their stomachs, is has always been what will those people do after those basics are met? Being ignored is the next stage.The ignored are beginning to vote. They are being counted, they matter.

Saving the polar bear is a seemingly impossible task, the bay is too big, the ice too thin. A floating airstrip a desperate thought, but a hopeful belief in science. Thinking big thoughts are a first step, we may just save ourselves with the stories we tell each other, we need to save everything else to.

We need big stories to tell ourselves and or grandchildren and those stores we tell have to be very different than the ones we have grown up with. opinion Ken Gigliotti
General Discussion / Re: Photos or it isn't real
« Last post by Daniel Crump on December 06, 2020, 01:46 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up Warren. It's something I've spent most of the year thinking on. A lot of my initial reaction to this pandemic, how to prepare for it, how bad it was/would potentially be, etc... came from photos that were coming from places like New York. Especially the work of Angus Mordant who was getting assignments in hospitals, morgues, places where things were really really bad. It made the whole thing a lot more real than the thousands and thousands of stories/words alone. The fact that Leah's photo went viral, I think, shows that there is an interest and a need for this kind of work to be done. Now that Canada's cases have sky rocketed this seems all the more relevant here. Even in the states where it's worse now than it ever was, yet there seems to be far less visual coverage, it all seems so much less pressing and further away. Am curious why these photos aren't being made by hospitals, or news orgs.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10