Author Topic: Really Bad , comments  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Really Bad , comments
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:01 PM »
  In an effort to become even less popular  , trending just isn't my thing. I know there must be a bunch of photographers  that would like to have a long career in newspaper journalism  like so many members  in this group.
  So if challenging  the way people think  leads to something  better or more sustainable let's give  this  Irish Wake a shake .The trend is downward in case anyone is noticing.
   We have this nice little club where we say  we fight   big battles . It is not really a fight . The finished story is complete , for the record , evidence gathered , pictures taken . Perfect  .
  We have created a world where language is “correct” and deportment is “correct” . Everyone must have come out of the same daycare , our children's firsts gang. 
  The conformatity of eyes on the perfectly average product . The love of conformity , dime store media . Sorry, defaulting
 way too negative again.Something wrong here .Rolling product in , rolling it out , a never ending line.

In the world of print this is all good ,companies hire departments of people just to speak our language back to us. Political parties  control messages , hide behind privacy laws they made. A good system to make a once powerful business , a symbol of democracy  irrelevant.
   Newspapers , meet the internet . It turns out the stories aren't so air tight , comments bring side issues , insight , they correct  errors in the premiss , they steer smart fresh angles in  fallow up stories. 
  There are far too many of our readers falling further and further behind economically . The middle class is being hallowed out and falling deeper toward the poverty line  . There is much anger as governments  catch up on taxes that were not collected for the past decade for political reasons. There is pain and anger throughout the once   rich western world . We are seeing this anger for the first time .It is effecting our business ,it finds it's way to our pages whether we like it or not.
  Other  comments bring  racists  and haters , hard language , insults  and misinformation.
   It is actually funny to hear the horror in the voices of journalists when confronted with  hate. Tender ear syndrome , common in the country club.
   Yet we are coming face to face with racism and hate . Think about it. Journalism has a place here.
    Inform ,empower , enrich .
  What is the opportunity here . We love to see  other countries  embrace  freedom  and democracy , free speech . The Arab Spring  and freedom for  women in every country , the condemnation of child soldiers .
   But , when faced with fear , racism and hate in our own city  , we ignore the harshness , we block it. Fear brings hate .
Hatred and racism exists , flourishes and  festers in that blocked environment.
  Some people should just be punched in the mouth. What do you say , journalists . Let's pick a fight , an unsafe running battle with hate. Our scouts say there sure is a lot of them . We should be afraid of taking a chance .
  Our intelligence has good news  , it says ,with anger there is truth , a small bit of truth . Find the truth , kill the hate.  Time  ingrains pain and ignorance  , that to, is fixable .
 We have a columnist here , aboriginal writer , urban and living in a tough part of town. She continually amazes  as she writes about the things she sees  and things that happen during her  daily life in the hood . Over the years she has dispelled  so many myths about aboriginal  life , many going back to when I was a kid.  She kills hate with truth .This can be done , and done smartly . We are smart people . We can make our media smarter and relevant again. kg

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:07 AM by Ken Gigliotti »

James Helmer

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Ken, fix your grammar and spelling and perhaps will take your rant seriously... show us you care!

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: Really Bad , comments
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:47 PM »
So, Ken, if I interpreted this correctly, what the
world (Canada) needs now is a good socio-politco
enema and the news photo/ journalists are holding
the jug of warm water.   

Who is the Freep  columnist you speak of?   Seems
it would be an interesting read.:)

As for the spelling, grammer, punctuation...
... big deal.  It's like a photo that isn't technically
perfect-- focus and exposure-- again, big deal,
it's the subjec matter/content that counts :)

Cheers,

Jack

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:32 AM »
  I have been writing these broken thoughts down for years  and our company has grudgingly benefited from the ideas expressed . Opposing views are rare inside the  fort. When people think about them , the ideas and ideals are not far from the ideals most people grew up with  . The trade has drifted that far . It takes between a year or two years for an idea to roll around , and a solution found . Two years will be cutting it close .As they say,” if you don't stand for anything , you will fall for everything”. Hum :)
 Now the  those who   hate are walking into our newsroom screaming their froth and we sit back and wonder what to do. Some people just need to  be punched in the mouth . It would have happened twenty years ago. No Sh_t.
   Spelling and grammar ,are my  unfortunate , life long learning disability ,but I never let it hold me back – I can read it a hundred times and mistakes seem to persist – photography  is  more forgiving ,in that the language of pictures is universal , few rules – I cannot be stopped or fixed at this stage – sorry for that offending part of the message  . I am used to it .I still worry all weekend that I will be fired on Monday.
  Fifty percent of Canadians  have reading and writing  disabilities  and I count my self as one of them . No  contest . Words are just words , they can be read or not read. Once they are read they cannot be unread. I have the advantage of having original ideas over  many who can master language  details  but have nothing to write . The opportunity  lies with this 50% with reading problems ,our online product can reach these  many more potential customers .Cheers
   Information is controlled in ways that journalists have never seen before .The landscape for information has changed in a fundamental way , first with political parties , corporations , now athletes . People lie to journalists and there is no failsafe for that . We simply repeat their lies . Steroid abuse and weapons of mass destruction are glaring examples.
  Newsrooms are small , the ability to cover daily news is  questionable and the expense of  project journalism  is usually out of the question without private funding. We all stay busy , it is what we are good at.
  Our core readership is the dominant demographic and they are no longer taking the paper .Young people  will never buy a paper . Technology is overwhelming  our craft in waves , citizens are  speaking in many voices, too strong to ignore. At some point someone has to ask questions about the content. Comments , some say are the most interesting part of the newspaper experience  Adding ,Online magazine subscriptions are selling well . The internet is not killing the magazine  trade.
   The face of this business is changing , faster than you think . Good spelling is the least of  our troubles .
The  ideas  still stand , in two years more people will understand . The business of journalism gets stuck and it is stuck now.  Writing and journalism itself has gone through major changes in style and content at twenty  and thirty year intervals. . Unfortunately  this change  does not come gradually . The business has always needed a hard shake . In some ways  we are in the shadow of the 1950's , but change occurred then and in the late 1970's 80's , and it is on the verge of change again .
  We work hard and our brand of journalism  is at it's peak .The business still shrinks. Every aspect of what we do , everyday has to be examined . I am writing directly to hundreds of people  in the hopes the one or two that have the  power to make change begin to think of this valued  service in different ways .We have a valuable service   that is being taken for granted , inside and outside the  walls . There are aspects of , exclusivity of thought , and the core  belief in “the news angle “ that are outdated . Writing down what people say has a flaw  when people lie to us.
   We need to know that virtually everyone has been interviewed by a newspaper . People see how it works.  Context is a consistant complaint over the ages . Context must be getting edited , i guess.
 We are not seeing the changes our culture has experienced since the Canada US Free Trade Agreement .There is  impact on  the buying habits  and attitudes of Canadians . We are feelng  the impact of our own , information free trade agreements . All this impacts our view and our actions in the world as well as our own back yard .
Let us use an example of a  basic cultural shift , take the old stone religion  vs the new metal roof churches with acres of parking .Are we the old stone church ? It has nothing to do with stones or roofs.Isolated  people are searching ,and  what about social  media - more searching . We are here and our message is "what" ?

Jack - Colleen Simard is our contributing columnist.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:55 PM by Ken Gigliotti »

Louie Palu

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Ken,

I think you have posted the longest threads in the history of NPAC.

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:14 PM »
No , i have have posted  much longer , i don't get short writing , it is one of my faults  along with bad spelling .It is hard to be passionate with one line and a web address- I really think that every aspect of what we do everyday needs to be re-thought . The whole business has become timid  and unresponsive to the changes it is facing . At some point the business will just be blown up and it will rise from the ashes ,  being rebuilt from  scratch . It may not be such a bad thing. We have great stories to tell but we don't tell them.
Writing and photography are underutilized , we have created an efficient system based on the daily creation of  large volumes of safe , secure copy from  institutional sources .  We are like the prairies harvesting wheat for markets that don't want or need it and selling it for practically nothing.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:06 PM by Ken Gigliotti »