Author Topic: It's not a career until...  (Read 17706 times)

Brennan O´Connor

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2009, 12:10 AM »
It's not a career until you have photographed the Church of Satan then stayed the night in the basement room next to where they performed their ritual.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:13 AM by Brennan O´Connor »

Ian Willms

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2009, 02:07 PM »
"Pet of the Week."

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: You will never make it a career until...
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2009, 10:11 PM »
.... if  get a unique photos that you really like .....

and enter it into the Clips contest :D only
find out a while later that you sent the photo(s) too late  :-[

::)

Jack

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:15 PM by Jack Simpson »

Steve Russell

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2009, 03:05 PM »
You walk into someone's home and they have a picture of yours on the fridge!

You have filed with a satellite phone on a moving ship, it's amazing that my daughter was only born with two eyes!

You have almost been killed by debris from an erupting active volcano.

One day, a nice old lady who was the victim of a police raid invites you into her house to show the damage after her sons were arrested, the next day outside court the old lady is flipping you the bird, dropping f-bombs and flashing breasts at you after her son makes bail. (it was like spring break at the nursing home)

You shot only 144 frames per day on the road, otherwise you would have had to soup a second batch of film.

You have converted a bathroom in a stadium or theatre into a darkroom.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Re: It's not a career until...
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Quote from: Steve Russell
You shot only 144 frames per day on the road, otherwise you would have had to soup a second batch of film.

Having room service send up an expensive bottle(s) of vodka or gin so that you could use the alcohol to shorten the drying time of your film before transmitting. Then, weeks later, having to explain the expense to the paper's accountant.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Bill Sandford

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Yup, that's the one that dings my bell!

Even thirty years later, it amazed me that people in Mississauga have my front page photo of the derailment and fire either on their wall or, as I have also seen it, laminated and used as a place mats on their kitchen tables. These fan-atices made sure they had several of the posters that had been inserted into the Toronto Sun a week after the fire and evacuation, for that purpose.

Now that's a career!

Bill Sandford

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2009, 02:11 AM »

Having room service send up an expensive bottle(s) of vodka or gin so that you could use the alcohol to shorten the drying time of your film before transmitting. Then, weeks later, having to explain the expense to the paper's accountant.

... drying your prints in a microwave ??? ..... although it did a few tries to get the correct
time  :D

Jack

Steve Russell

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06 PM »
You've been hit by a foul ball......again.
or bowled over at a football game
or hit by a stick or puck at a hockey game.
or all three!

Scott Clouthier

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2009, 10:19 AM »
or all three!

When I used to cover Junior B hockey games in small town West Quebec, I'd shoot from the Zamboni bay at centre ice where there's no glass. I used to get sticks, pucks and whole players coming over the boards at me... definitely made me learn to pay attention to the whole ice, not just where the puck was.

Ron Bernardo

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2009, 10:57 AM »
or all three!

Split seconds before...I ducked!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:01 AM by Ron Bernardo »

Derek Ruttan

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2009, 08:56 PM »
 ;D Moe Doiron invites you to a "clandestine meeting at a local Irish pub". Mmmm, Irish beer....

Offline Andy Clark

• Inactive Member
  • Gibsons, B.C.
    • Clarkfoto
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57 PM »
Since we're on a kick of the olden days of film here are few more

1...Use a Bic lighter to dry your film cause yur portable darkroom hair dryer blew out in a run- down African hotel...

2...Use a vivitar flash as a source of light cause your portable enlarger just blew a bulb late at night in small town hotel....and the nearest open 7-Eleven is across an ocean.

3...Load four rolls of film on reels and put into a small tank with developer in the front seat of a car as your colleague speeds through Toronto streets to the office so you can get the film into the fixer in time......there was no room in front for the fixer...

4...Scare the crap out of a rookie when you lift their film out of the developer in daylight...cause they don't know you got about 2 seconds in light before film fogs...as long as fixer is fresh and strong. (Don't try this at home kids)

5...Develop a roll of film dropped by a stringer after an assignment and the first few frames show he and his wife, it was hoped, in very X-rated intimacy.....

6...Develop film in the small galley below deck of a 30 foot pleasure craft while navigating through 4 to 6 foot swells during Americas Cup racing...

and my favourite though not film related.....

being declared a "liberator" including hugs and kisses on both cheeks after entering a small city during the Romanian Revolution.....my colleague failed to photograph it....damn!!!

A lost photojournalist slowly drifting into Antiquity...

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2009, 01:52 AM »
• dropping a camera+lens into a lake and, while expecting it to somehow float, you're surprised at how fast it sinks into the darkness.

• being on the front steps of an elegant, vintage hotel (built in early 1920's) shooting a celebrity portrait in the evening, so that the hotel lights might sparkle in the background. With your strobes' power pack plugged into an old electrical outlet near the front steps, the very first shutter-press instantly blows all the power to the hotel entrance and driveway, the front lobby and the hotel's Christmas display. Angel of mercy (i.e. Vivitar 285) comes to your rescue.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 01:56 AM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Ron Bernardo

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2009, 07:48 AM »
...carrying packs of cigarettes (but never learned to smoke) to penetrate the military blockade during the late Pres. Marcos era in the Philippines...

...while carrying packs of cigarettes, also learned to conceal and smuggled almost dozens of rolls of fresh films through the military blockade perimeter for news photographers embedded inside...

...been slapped in the face by a Manila policeman, when i was a teen because I wearing an opposition t-shirt...

...been hit by a water canon, twice...man it hurts...

...learned first hand why "Tear Gas" got its notorious name...

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:01 AM by Ron Bernardo »

Mike Dembeck

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2009, 09:24 PM »
You decided to scan the film wet to save time......

You never thought the guy with the 9mm jammed into your stomach would fire it (what a mess!)......

You have set your camera bag on fire when an extra battery shorts from touching a paper clip...

You know the noise that a 300 makes when it hits the ground....

You've become addicted to the smell of fixer.....

You have final figured out that after working all those nights you will never be about to develope a normal sleep pattern......