Author Topic: New Toronto newspaper  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
New Toronto newspaper
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:24 AM »
Another newspaper (a free weekly) is coming to Toronto. No, it won't be hiring any photographers.

It appears that the Toronto Star has bought(?) a franchise of The Onion. (Hmm, a print version of a web site. There's a novel idea).

According to The Onion, it supplies all content and the franchisee, in this case the Star, just inserts locals ads.  However, rather than have 100% made-in-the-USA content only, The Onion president said it will source some Toronto content from freelance writers.

And that ends the educational part of the program.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

When will newspapers discover that humour sells? Especially online! Canadian newspapers have bungled opportunity after opportunity at improving their products (text, video and podcasts).

TorStar couldn't figure this out on its own? It had no choice but to give up and import content from the US?

There are tons of first-rate Canadian writers who *excel* not just at comedy but also at creating humourous views of current events. Yet, newspapers have refused to do anything with them.

The Walrus seems to have finally clued in. While the site itself is rather crappy spartan, look at some of the author names on that site.

Without knowing the agreement between the two companies, it's impossible to guess the future of this new Toronto Star-Onion publication. Nevertheless, I suspect that the Star could make more money – and consistent money – by getting rid of its pesky photographers' parking lot  ;)  and putting in a Tim Hortons franchise. Meaning, buying an onion isn't the answer.

If Sun Media/Quebecor had any brains at all, it would immediately replace its useless TV news programming with a comedy news channel. Yes, there's a joke to be had here, so I'll wait for the snickering to stop.

Sun TV News is just the same old, meaningless TV talk news. Doesn't it know that the best way to push a political agenda is not by having talking heads yell about nothing but rather, by the use of comedy.  Examples: Rick Mercer, Jon Daily, Stephen Colbert, Bill Maher, Dennis Miller and Lewis Black.

Confronting your audience never, ever works. But making them laugh always does. If you want to stir the pot, it's always easier if that pot isn't already boiling. Otherwise, you risk burning yourself.

If you want to sell more newspapers or get more web hits, don't fill your pages with "content". Instead, incite the readers to be (more) curious and inquisitive: challenge the reader, interest the reader, create anticipation, make it fun.

Someday, newspapers may wake up and realize that they *are* competing with TV, at least online. Maybe then, newspapers will understand the true value and purpose of multimedia.  Newspapers need a programming director(s) for their web site. A web designer, newspaper editor, publisher or corporate CEO is wrong for this job.

Newspapers should also hire a behavioral psychologist, but that's another post.

Newspapers have an easy(?) choice:

(a) Lower the value of its journalism, lower the intelligence of its reporting & photography, lower its respect for its readers and go for the lowest common denominator. Yes, this can be a successful formula. For example: the UK's Mail Online is about to become the world's number one news site.

or

(b) Remember why newspapers exist. Remember what journalism is about. Even though the distribution of information has changed and even though the techniques for news gathering has changed, the reason why people read the news has not.

One of these choices is an uphill battle and you need to peddle. The other is downhill and you can coast.

There isn't a business around that coasted to long term success.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:31 AM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline David Chidley

• Professional
  • near Calgary, Alberta
    • Dave Chidley website
    • Email
Re: New Toronto newspaper
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Wise words master Toda.  A long time ago I realized that the people in charge at Canadian newspapers are totally clueless on what constitutes a good product.  Putting out the "best possible" product or a good product doesn't matter, "good enough" is acceptable for way too many media groups. A little humour certainly couldn't hurt at this stage.

Dave Chidley Photography
http://davechidley.ca/

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 04:00 AM »
In a long blog post yesterday by writer Clay Shirky, he also mentions that newspapers face two choices: journalism as philanthropy or journalism as capitalism. Shirky seems to suggest that both options must co-exist or perhaps, somehow blended.

The average US paper runs more soft than hard news, uses more third-party content than anything created by their own staff, and reaches more people who care about local teams than local zoning. Telling the publishers of those papers to create a digital product so extraordinary that readers will pay full freight is a tacit admission that they do not know how to make such a product today.

Outside a relative handful of financial publications, there is no such thing as the news business. There is only the advertising business. The remarkable thing about the newspapers’ piece of that business isn’t that they could reliably generate profits without accomplishing much in the way of innovation—that could just as easily describe the local car dealership. The remarkable thing is that over the last couple of generations, those profits supported the fractional bit of those enterprises that covered the news.

News has to be subsidized because society’s truth-tellers can’t be supported by what their work would fetch on the open market.
(...)
News has to be cheap because cheap is where the opportunity is right now.
(...)
And news has to be free, because it has to spread.

... if replicating newspapers online were a good idea, we wouldn’t be in this mess in the first place. ...  It isn’t newspapers we should be worrying about, but news...

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Quote from: Warren Toda
It appears that the Toronto Star has bought(?) a franchise of The Onion. (Hmm, a print version of a web site. There's a novel idea).

According to The Onion, it supplies all content and the franchisee, in this case the Star, just inserts locals ads. 

(...)

... buying an onion isn't the answer.

TorStar has killed its Onion franchise.

Did anyone ever see a copy?

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Liam Maloney

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:19 AM »
I love The Onion, and was delighted that I was able to pick it up in my neighbourhood. I used to find it jammed into the bottom shelf of one of those newspaper machines that carries free real estate magazines. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never saw much Canadian content. Seems to me like another missed opportunity to connect with readers.

Offline David Chidley

• Professional
  • near Calgary, Alberta
    • Dave Chidley website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Onion Fried

Dave Chidley Photography
http://davechidley.ca/

John Densky

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Wise words master Toda.  A long time ago I realized that the people in charge at Canadian newspapers are totally clueless on what constitutes a good product.  Putting out the "best possible" product or a good product doesn't matter, "good enough" is acceptable for way too many media groups. A little humour certainly couldn't hurt at this stage.

took the words right out of my mouth Dave

Moe Doiron

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:30 PM »
The lack of any Canadian content was absolute deal killer. For the life of me I can't understand how someone thought this was a good idea.