Author Topic: Longtime SAIT Photojournalism Instructor retiring...  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Kevin Udahl

• Professional
  • Calgary
    • Email
Longtime SAIT Photojournalism Instructor retiring...
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Hello all...

For those of you who don't know - Frank Shufletoski, longtime photojournalism instructor at SAIT Polytechnic, has officially retired from SAIT's Photojournalism program, and is now using up his holiday time to round out his 37 years at the college. This day kind of crept up on us, and to some degree, we never really believed that this day would actually come. But here it is, and we are happy for him – while at the same time, sad to see him go. Frank's contribution to SAIT and to the Canadian photojournalism community has been immense.

We have planned a "small" gathering at the Cat 'n' Fiddle in Calgary, at 6pm on May 30, 2012. If anyone outside of Calgary happens to be in the area, please feel free to join us at the Cat as we wish him all the best in his retirement years. This is a major milestone for Frank, and he will be the first to scold all of us for making a big deal of it.

There are so many people who have crossed paths with Frank over the years who I know would enjoy wishing him all the best… Please feel free to pass on this information to anyone in the photo community who would like to show up.

Cheers, and hope to see you there…

Kevin Udahl - Photojournalism Instructor
SAIT Polytechnic – Dept of ICT – Journalism
403-284-8489
Kevin.udahl@sait.ca

Kevin Udahl - Instructor
SAIT Polytechnic
Photojournalism / Journalism Arts
kevin.udahl@sait.ca

Offline Kevin Udahl

• Professional
  • Calgary
    • Email
Re: Longtime SAIT Photojournalism Instructor retiring...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:19 PM »
For those who cannot attend, please consider recording a short video message if you want to send your well-wishes. Contact me if you want to do this, and I'll forward you some file delivery options.

Cheers,
Kevin Udahl
kevin.udahl@sait.ca

Kevin Udahl - Instructor
SAIT Polytechnic
Photojournalism / Journalism Arts
kevin.udahl@sait.ca

Offline Nathan Denette

• Professional
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Wow I didn't think this day would come, but it has. I have known Frank for a very long time. I was taught by him and I knew him from my hockey days before I went to S.A.I.T for my two year program. Frank Shuffles has been teaching most of his carrer both in photojournalism and hockey and he has dedicated every inch of energy in making sure his students were given the best fair chance in achieving their goals, whether it was a career at a newspaper, wire service, portrait studio photographer or just a stepping stone in the right direction to seek other ambitions outside of photojournalism. Shuffles has taught over the years many of Canada's best photojournalists in the business for well over three and a half decades. WOW! To me this was one of those very important turning points in my life where I came to that fork in the road not knowing what direction I should take. Today I'm happy where I am and a lot is definitely contributed to Franks love for photography and his passion to see all his students succeed. Absolutely the best teacher I have ever had in my life.

Thank you Frank and congrats on a terrific carrer and good luck with the retirement.

Cheers, Nathan

Lyle Aspinall

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Here's a video/photo gallery/story project I had the privilege of doing with Frank: http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/18/respected-sait-photojournalism-instructor-retires