Author Topic: Warning to Twitter Users  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Kenneth Armstrong

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
    • www.kennetharmstrong.ca
    • Email
Warning to Twitter Users
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Seems like the entire Canadian photojournalism industry has been caught in a Twitter phishing scam.

It's not so much a hack, you follow a link from an infected Direct Message and it sends you to a link that makes you think you need to log back in to Twitter. What it's really doing is stealing your login so it can infect others.

I've gotten the DM's from photogs, photo editors and even wire services.

So just be careful, if following a link is asking you to log back in you're probably being phished. Happened to me last summer and it sucks.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Offline Graeme Roy

• Inactive Member
    • Email
Re: Warning to Twitter Users
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Yep, it's all over the place. I didn't open anything from a PM, so I don't know how it got mine. Probably it's just spoofing the addresses in the hope you'll click the link. Bunch of people got hit today, but it's the same stupid one that was around a while back I think.

First clue, grammatically poor message even if it is from a photographer. Second, telling you someone is spreading 'bad rumors' (note spelling) about you.

Offline Kittie Wong

• Professional
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba
    • Email
Re: Warning to Twitter Users
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Only got two of those today. I should consider myself lucky. Turfed them right away. Those things are annoying. Graeme, I think you're right. I remember seeing this junk a while back, too.