Author Topic: NPS Rant  (Read 3471 times)

David Buzzard

« on: May 08, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Since I buy my equipment second hand, I've just been turned down for NPS membership for the third time, despite spending nearly $5,000 in camera repairs of the last three years.  WTF Nikon!  Now that the Vancouver depot is closing, this really going to screw me up. 

David Buzzard

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 02:11 PM »
Definitely gong to bring it up at the trade show tonight with the Nikon rep.

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
Re: NPS Rant
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:24 PM »
How old is the gear and what do you have ? does it fit their criteria for professional models ?

Fred

David Buzzard

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 01:35 AM »
I have two D3 cameras and a D700, a 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, and 300 2.8, as well as two SB-900's and an SB-910, plus a ton of other Nikon odds and ends I've collected over the last 25 years.  I had one of my D3's go down last summer and I didn't see it for 2 1/2 months.  Same with my 70-200mm, it was gone for over two months for repairs (it took them 3 weeks just to get me an estimate).  I had to use a 20 year old 80-200mm while the 70-200 was in the shop.  In 2014, I spent over $3100 in repairs at Nikon.  If that doesn't qualify me as a professional Nikon user, I don't what does?

I had a good chat with the Nikon rep tonight at the trade show, and I think we've sorted things out.

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
    • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 11:16 AM »
My guess is they prefer/want NPS members to have *current gear* bought at an authorised retailer (vs used) and I understand that, if they're going to offer loaners of current cameras and lenses to members. Be happy NPS members don't have to pay a fee.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:14 PM by Fred Lum »

Fred

David Buzzard

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 02:24 PM »
That's exactly what they said. 

David Buzzard

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 02:34 PM »
If my work vehicle breaks down, I can take it to my mechanic and explain to him that I'm out of business until I get it back, and he'll fast track it for me.  I drive the car a lot, get a lot of servicing done by him, and don't quibble about the extra money, so it works out well for both of us.     

If one of my cameras breaks down, I'm out of business, but despite spending a lot of money there on an annual basis for many years, they tell to get in line with the shlubs with their kit cameras.  That's crap.  If they want to charge me for me for NPS membership, that's fine, just fix my gear in a reasonable time frame.

As for the used equipment, I'm in business for myself, and if I had to spend $6,500 for a camera instead of $2,500 for a used one, etc. times my entire bag of gear, I'd be out of business pretty quickly.   

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
    • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 03:12 PM »
I should work for Nikon ;)

I know it bites when gear doesn't meet their criteria for 'professional'. Everyone had an FM2 when those were the new hotness but I don't imagine my D750 alone, would pass their test. As I said before, I believe Canon has the same hurdle AND there's a scaled fee so honestly, consider yourself somewhat lucky.

I'm a staffer so haven't bought my own gear for a few years but I'd think that a business should be able to update their gear every few years to stay current and write it off as a capital expenditure. I dunno. As well, keeping current also means you won't get any surprises when they say there are no more parts. With the camera cycles they're keeping to, I wouldn't expect them to be able to fix a D1 or even D2.

Again, look at Canon, people with relatively fresh long glass can't get them repaired at Canon (from what I've seen on several boards) so they have to look elsewhere.

Did you find someone sponsor you when you applied ?

Fred

David Buzzard

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 07:58 PM »
Everyone of those pieces of equipment are on their list for qualified NPS service.

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 04:02 PM »
I should work for Nikon ;)

Hi Fred,

You should put your name in as a tester …. it would be fun to see Mark Cruz taking selfles
just to see who sneaking up on him to try take his job  ;D

Cheers,

Jack