Author Topic: Let's talk about Freelancing - Informal Get together during the Conference  (Read 3408 times)

Jimmy Jeong

Just wanted to see if there is any interest from fellow freelancers for a beer and meet-and-greet during the conference. Both veterans and new shooters are welcome. Might be fun to talk about challenges and rewards to freelancing. Let's share some knowledge and some beers.
cheers,
Jimmy

REVISED ***Staffers are also invited.***

Just shoot me an email if you are interested.
jimmy (at) jimmyshoots.com

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:58 PM by Jimmy Jeong »

David Buzzard

Re: Freelancers - Informal Get together during the Conference
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:29 AM »
I'm in, just tell me where.

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: Freelancers - Informal Get together during the Conference
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:16 AM »
I'm in, just tell me where.

Ditto … and, if Steamworks is too busy, there's a place down the street (Cordova) about one(1) short
block called "The Greedy Pig" which might do the trick?

Cheers,

Jack

David Buzzard

BTW - I'll only be there for Friday, have a another gig on Saturday.  Maybe before the event on Friday would work?

Offline Ali Ledgerwood

• Professional
  • Vancouver
    • Email
Hey everyone,

For the early birds who are arriving, we do have a welcome event over at Yagger's downtown.  Private room, good discussion, drinks and food.

Thursday, May 22

Yagger's Downtown
433 Pender Street

6:00 PM - Welcome reception

Yagger's Restaurant & Sports Bar is "The" local pub for the neighbourhood and specifically the guests of the Ramada Hotel. Our mantra is "fun food & serious drinks" and we put a twist on classic comfort foods. Great atmosphere, view of a TV from every table, entertaining staff in a laid back atmosphere.

And we are inviting the News Photography Association of Canada to come down on Thursday May 22nd for a welcome reception, where your first drink is on us and a few snacks to whet you appetite will be provided to kick off your stay in Vancouver.

Let me know the numbers.  This will be the perfect place to start the convo...

Cheers, and see you in YVR!
Ali

Offline David Chidley

• Professional
  • near Calgary, Alberta
    • Dave Chidley website
    • Email
I wish I was coming to the conference, but alas I don't have an employer to help cover the expenses, or even the registration. 

I am also on a ten-day job, and there is no way I could pass up the payday.  So despite that fact I really wanted to come to Vancouver and the NPAC conferences are totally great events, I send my regrets and congrats to everyone involved!!! 

The lineup is just fantastic.  ARGHH.  So wanted to make it.

I'd also really like to come and join in the "freelance" discussion as well, but I'm unable to, as I'm freelancing and need to work. 

How ironic.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND, and post lots of pics please. 

-Dave Chidley

Dave Chidley Photography
http://davechidley.ca/

Matt Law

I'm in for beers and the sharing of knowledge. I'm a relatively new shooter so the sharing of knowledge might be a little lopsided. ;D 

Jimmy Jeong

Sounds like a lot of photographers don't get in till Friday. So, why don't we meet at 1:30pm at Steamworks on Friday. Registration for the conference is at 2pm, and group portfolio review starts at 3pm. We can have a bit of a chat and introduce ourselves then. Dave, I'll keep you in the loop if any exciting ideas come out of it.

Jimmy

Liam Maloney

Unfortunately, I'm working far from Vancouver this weekend. It's an incredible lineup of speakers and I really regret not being able to attend - I hope those of us in faraway places can get some of the talks as podcasts or something. And somebody hug Ted Grant for me.

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Unfortunately, I'm working far from Vancouver this weekend. It's an incredible lineup of speakers and I really regret not being able to attend - I hope those of us in faraway places can get some of the talks as podcasts or something. And somebody hug Ted Grant for me.

Hi Liam,

Hug has been given to Mr. Grant but, Ali out did us all, she gave him a smooch :D

Cheers,

Jack

Liam Maloney

Don Denton

My regrets as well. A family event this weekend is keeping me on the Island. Everyone else enjoy the conference..

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
My regrets as well. A family event this weekend is keeping me on the Island. Everyone else enjoy the conference..

Oh, they did Don  ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
I wish I was coming to the conference, but alas I don't have an employer to help cover the expenses, or even the registration. 

I am also on a ten-day job, and there is no way I could pass up the payday.  So despite that fact I really wanted to come to Vancouver and the NPAC conferences are totally great events, I send my regrets and congrats to everyone involved!!! 

The lineup is just fantastic.  ARGHH.  So wanted to make it.

I'd also really like to come and join in the "freelance" discussion as well, but I'm unable to, as I'm freelancing and need to work. 

How ironic.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND, and post lots of pics please. 

-Dave Chidley

Hi Dave,

I did my best in the "pics" department …. see the NPAC Conference Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1430359513886661/?fref=ts

Not sure how profitable your weekend was …. but definitely would have been better than
had you been here, fiscally speaking  ;)

Cheers,

Jack