Author Topic: Sad news, Mike Cassese passes  (Read 2792 times)

Steve Russell

« on: December 28, 2012, 08:16 AM »
We were all shocked with the news that Mike Cassese had passed away after a heart attack.
Mike was a great guy and a great photographer.
The tributes on facebook and twitter speak to the stength of character he had.
The Toronto Sun wrote this about him

We'll miss you Mike!

Derek Ruttan

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:19 AM »
Sad news. Another friend and colleague taken from us far too soon. Mike was great supporter of mine when I was summer student. I still remember the words of encouragement he gave me at a time when I was unsure if I could make it in this business. A quiet man who's photos spoke loudly.

Offline Kenneth Armstrong

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
    • www.kennetharmstrong.ca
    • Email
Re: Sad news, Mike Cassese passes
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:31 AM »
That's just far too young.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Benoit Gariepy

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:32 PM »
My condolences to Mike's family  and  the Reuters family.

Benoit Gariepy Photographer
Journal de Quebec / Agence QMI

Steve Russell

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Here is some of Mike's work that has appeared in the Star.

Funeral arrangments for Mike,

Visitation is Saturday (December 29) from 6-9. Sunday from 2-4 and 6-9 at the Jerrett Funeral Home 1141 St. Clair Avenue West in Toronto. Mike's funeral will be Monday morning exact time is yet to be established at St Clares Church 1118 St Clair Clair Avenue almost across from the funeral parlour.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 04:44 AM »
Quote from: Toronto Sun
A beloved Toronto photojournalist died suddenly Thursday.

"Beloved" is so accurate. Every news photographer in Toronto knew and respected Mike.

A couple years ago, during a week-long sports event, the event's media people raffled off an iPad each day to the media in attendance (photographers, reporters, TV crews). It was meant as a thank-you for covering the event. At one of these daily draws, held in the media workroom, Mike's name was pulled from the hat (okay, it was a cardboard box).

When he went up to claim his iPad, Mike received a huge round of cheering and applause. The guy running the raffle later said that Mike was the only iPad winner during the week to be applauded and the event's media people were surprised at how loud and long the cheering lasted.

Quote from: Toronto Sun
Longtime Sun photographer Veronica Henri called Cassese “the salt of the earth.”

“He was the best photographer in the city of Toronto who was always there for everyone,” Henri recalled. “There was nothing bad you could say about him — he worked every event so professionally.”

Mike routinely helped other photographers including those from competing papers and competing wire services.

At a tennis tournament, he took time to help "the competition" to understand the nuances of the game, where the best angles were, what lenses should be used in certain situations, how the players were likely to react, what feature pictures to look for and how to best edit. I made sure to eavesdrop on his conversation so I could learn more.

In a scrum situation, Mike would make sure photographers next to him had a vantage point and if they didn't, he'd move to accommodate them even when "them" was a competing photographer.

He always said that news photography was never a personal competition and that photographers (should) compete only on the picture.

No matter how "sideways" an event might go, Mike was always calm, collected and professional. He was1000% dependable and reliable, not only as a photographer who could always bring back the best pictures but also as a person who would always have time for a coffee and a chat.

Although Mike quit the Toronto Sun in 2001, he continued to have as many pictures published in the Sun as when he was employed there. Since the Sun subscribed to Reuters, Mike's pictures were published almost daily in the paper. It was common for the Sun sports section to be filled with Mike's pictures from yesterday's baseball, football, basketball or hockey game. And it wasn't just the Sun. All Toronto dailies (and other papers around the world) used his pictures frequently.

There's a reason why Mike covered World Series finals, Stanley Cup finals, Grey Cup games, championship golf, tennis championships, and various international events across the country. He really was that good.

Whenever a Reuters photographer from another country came into Toronto to help cover an event, such as the annual film festival, the first thing they'd ask is, "Where's Mike?" They relied on him to know the event and help organize the coverage.

Mike was known to turn down some big, out-of-town jobs because he didn't want to be away from his sons too long.

–––

There were a lot of rain delays at last year's Canadian mens tennis championship in Toronto. During one such delay, Mike had other photographers put on their rain coats and huddle under an umbrella in front of his laptop's webcam in the media room. He then video-called other photographer friends to show them what a "fun" time he was having at the rain-soaked tennis match.

–––

Mike always wanted to open a Tim Hortons franchise. Really. He thought it would be a great investment and perhaps a bunch of photographers could invest together in a store. At one point, he did look into buying a piece of vacant property in downtown Toronto, just one block away from the Toronto Sun. But once he saw the plus-million dollar cost of the property and franchise rights, the donut dream ended.

It's too bad because a donut shop at that location would've been perfect: a few years later, Toronto opened a large police station right across the street.  :)

–––

His other idea was to set up a golf photography business to shoot professional and corporate golf tournaments. This would've combined two of his favourite things: photography and golf.

–––

Back in 1988, I did several G7 Summit events/protests with Mike. He knew how to "organize" coverage so that every event was photographed from the right locations so as to produce well-rounded coverage. Same thing when we did Toronto Indy races, Grey Cups and federal political leadership conventions.

For Mike, it was never just about getting pretty pictures. It was about producing proper news coverage and making sure all the important moments were shot.

–––

When I went to Florida to do baseball spring training, Mike gave me a detailed rundown on how spring training works, what pictures to look for, and what local restaurants I should visit.

–––

Whenever I had to shoot something weird, like golf, curling or cricket, I'd always ask Mike, "How do I shoot this?"

–––

At a tennis tournament in 2001(?), I was shooting a few matches for a feature which had no urgent deadline, so I didn't bring a laptop with me. But something changed and I needed to send a few pictures right away. Mike stopped working, got out of his chair and offered me his computer.

–––

Whenever I needed information for an upcoming event - where to get credentials, schedules, locations, etc. - I'd always ask Mike.

–––

Sat beside Mike for a few hours at a basketball game last week. We talked about cameras, the awfully loud music at the game, whether business was busy or slow (he said we should've opened a Tim Hortons franchise) and how the referees are always in the way.

Forgot to thank him for all his help over the past 25 years.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 08:11 AM »
^  pretty well says it all, thanks Warren.

Fred

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 04:41 PM »
Obituary in today's Toronto Star.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Liam Maloney

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:23 PM »
A huge loss - my deepest condolences to all of you who were close to Mike. Thank you Warren for your eloquent tribute - he sounds like a role model for all of us.

Offline Mark Blinch

• Inactive Member
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Warren that was amazing - thanks.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 12:11 AM »
When shooting sports, photographers have to know the people in front of their lenses - the athletes. But Mike also knew many of the people behind the photographers.

At basketball and baseball games, for example, the season ticket holders who sat next to the photo positions knew Mike. Before each game, you'd hear the phrase "Hi Mike!" repeated frequently.

––––

Each year at the Rogers Cup tennis in Toronto, since I often shoot for the event, I get there at 9:30am, well before any other photographers arrived. The women working the media room would always ask "Is Mike coming today?" He was the only photographer (other than Tennis Canada's own photographer) that they remembered by name.

––––

On the Queen's last tour through Toronto, most inside events, as usual, had extremely limited access. Only two or three photographers were allowed in - CP, Reuters and one photographer from the UK.

The guy from the parliamentary press gallery, who was in charge of the media, would often announce, "It's pool only. I need one from the UK, one from Canadian Press and Mike."

––––

During the G8/G20 Summit in Toronto, world leaders arrived at one of the private terminals at Pearson Airport in Toronto. The terminal was completely shut down and there was tons of security. You couldn't go to the bathroom without security people following you. Really.

As each leader's plane approached the airport, the group of photographers was led out onto the tarmac to shoot the arrival. The little photo area on the tarmac was sometimes in the wrong spot, depending on where the plane came to a stop or where the motorcade parked their cars alongside the plane. In one such case, Mike moved out of the photo area to get a better angle. Immediately, security people started to move towards him. The federal media guy running things called out, "It's okay, it's Mike" and the security people stopped.

––––

One late February in the 90s, when Mike was in Florida for baseball spring training, a photo arrived in the picture browser in the Toronto Sun newsroom. Although many hundreds of pictures showed up each day in the browser, from wire services and the local staff photographers, this one picture really stood out.

It was a picture of a smiling Mike lounging by the hotel pool in Florida and surrounded by two lovely women who each were, uh, almost wearing a bikini. The photo caption read something like, 'another busy day at the office'.

All the photographers in wintery Toronto got a good laugh from the photo. However, since the picture browser was also available to many other people in the newsroom, an editor took offence at the photo and proclaimed that if the photographer in Florida had time for stuff like this, they should have time for more assignments. A few days later, all was forgotten and there was no increase in assignments.

––––

After a Toronto Film Festival press conference, I packed up my cameras and walked out of the hotel. The film director, who just had the press conference, and Mike were standing in front of the hotel discussing photography and how photographers are portrayed in the movies.

––––

Mike invented the "Pet of the Week Shuffle". That's what a photographer does when they're handed a pet-of-the-week assignment: they shuffle out of the newsroom (sorry, you have to have seen the dance steps and arm movements involved).   :)

––––

An obituary comment from Ron Bull (retired Toronto Star photographer):

Jays spring training, Mike (Toronto Sun) and myself (Toronto Star). End of day, I'm having computer difficulties, Mike gladly solves my problems so his competition will not have a blank space in their sports section. Whenever I met a group of photogs on the job, I always made a point of saying hullo to Mike first for good reason.

––––

Back in 2001, when the paper laid off another photographer, Mike went to Human Resources and asked to take the place of the laid-off photographer. He volunteered to take the hit so the other photographer could still have a job. (The paper refused his offer.)

––––

If you read through the comments posted on the obituary, you'll see certain words repeated over and over again: professional, kind, nicest guy, humble, considerate, gentle, quiet grace. None of these are exaggerations.

The obit has a recently-added photo gallery.

More here:  http://npac.ca/2013/01/remembering-mike-cassese/

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:35 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com