Author Topic: 2020 NPOY rule added  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Crystal Schick

• Executive
    • Email
2020 NPOY rule added
« on: January 09, 2021, 09:03 PM »
Since the NPAC/APPC 2020 National Pictures of the Year contest has opened, concerns have been brought to us by photojournalists that work in all aspects of our industry regarding the issue of photographers in positions that grant them unique access. And since our post last night about there being no rule against how photographs are made or access obtained, we have heard from many people with opinions on the subject.

A general consensus among those who have voiced their concerns is that while some of this work may otherwise conform to a high journalistic standard in terms of honesty and integrity, it is created in conditions that have been specially accommodated to the photographer, and release of the images controlled by the employing body.

After further discussion and some research, we as council agree. The NPAC/APPC will therefore be adding the following to the 2020 National Pictures of the Year contest rules:

"Photos captured in the employ of or commissioned by an organization, including but not limited to governments, government agencies, corporations, or sports teams, where access is restricted to or unique access is granted to that photographer, can not be entered."

While we live in a time of flux for our industry and photojournalists are pushed to find new revenue models for themselves, we feel it is important to maintain this line in the interest of journalism in Canada, and in the interest of protecting the role of the editorial photojournalist.

Offline Daniel Crump

• Professional
  • Winnipeg, MB
    • Website
    • Email
Re: 2020 NPOY rule added
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 04:05 PM »
This is a good point and decision.

Offline Blair Gable

• Professional
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Blair Gable Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:13 AM »
I definitely have some concerns with this one. The short version is: it is both too specific and not specific enough. It targets very specific photographer and so broad that it excludes people doing legitimate work. I've emailed the brass with my thoughts to avoid a flame war on here, but wanted posting this in public so that it doesn't seem like everyone is in favour by default. That is all.

Freelance picture-maker.

http://www.blairgable.com

Offline Mathieu Belanger

• Professional
  • Quebec City
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 02:13 PM »
The short version is: it is both too specific and not specific enough. It targets very specific photographer and so broad that it excludes people doing legitimate work.

I totally agree with you Blair.

It targets very specific people, one of which (from my understanding of the rule) being probably the best sports shooter in the country. It is sad to know that some of the best work from these people won't be in this competition but will probably be in other photojournalism contests around the world.

When I enter a contest, I like to think that my images will be judge against the best. At any given events, opportunities are generally not equal, getting access sometimes depend of the name of the media you work for.

This rule pretty much doesn't affect my work at all, but I think it should be discuss at the next conference/meeting (whenever we will have one!) to get a broader spectrum of opinions.

I agree with the fact that the images needs to have high journalistic standards but I think there is a debate to be made about what having unique access means and what it covers.

I have been thinking about writing about my concerns for a couple of days now...glad to see I'm not the only one!