Author Topic: Paul Wodehouse  (Read 6646 times)

Don Denton

« on: July 11, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Via Facebook:

Paul Wodehouse didn't plan his retirement well ...he didn't plan on Lung Cancer either so he's here to see how 'ethical' fundraising might help he and his wife get through this, heal and live life... - See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/god-angels-and-the-universe-are-on-my-side-/199598?fb_action_ids=504033873075439&fb_action_types=og.comme#sthash.Bxt860yQ.dpuf

Offline David Chidley

• Professional
  • near Calgary, Alberta
    • Dave Chidley website
    • Email
Re: Paul Wodehouse
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Thanks for posting Don, I just recently reconnected with Paul and he has had more than his share of bad luck.  He is having surgery this Monday.  Please read what is posted from Paul. 

A friend of ours is in need.

Dave Chidley Photography
http://davechidley.ca/

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:44 AM »
From Tom Braid in Edmonton:

"Paul Wodehouse didn't plan his retirement well"   - Not his fault! Things changed in 1992. He left the Edmonton Sun and had a great freelance career going. Then things changed again and Paul adapted. Then his only child, his talented son, was killed in 2002 by a drunk..............he lost tons of work. Paul adapted again. He and his wife have stayed together but have already killed their savings through the last 20 years. Life is not fair some days. Lucky most people have friends that will step up.

For the more "mature", old school 1970's, 80's and 90's photojournalists, Paul Wodehouse is the a name of a shooter you both respected, admired and also hated when he kicked your ass at any given assignment in Alberta.

In Edmonton from the late 70's to the early 90's, Paul was one of many very cool characters on the newspaper scene. For Edmonton, it really was a Renaissance time for shooting at a newspaper (or magazine). The list of characters is long – you had to be there to really know what I am talking about.

Anyway, Paul has hit a "glitch" in his pending 65-years-old full retirement plan. He has lung cancer. On Monday, the Dr.'s will be removing one of his lungs.

After months of going through the thought that it was stage 3 and time to get your affairs in order, the Dr's now think that the cancer is contained in one lung. With removal of the lung and a road of recovery, this crusty shooter just might be around for a few more decades!

Our old friend Paul needs some help.

Before the Dr’s told him he had cancer, he was driving a school bus to help fill in the blanks and help pay bills. Now with surgery and a long road to recovery, Paul and his wife have set up a private fundraiser with the modest goal of $10,000 to help get them through the pending months of expenses.

If you can help please do. The link to help and more info is listed in the first post above.

His wife, Carol-Ann Wodehouse, is currently handling Paul's e-mails at:  wodesca@me.com

-Tom

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline David Chidley

• Professional
  • near Calgary, Alberta
    • Dave Chidley website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:37 PM »
07/15/2014
by Carol-Ann Wodehouse
Paul came through the surgery they took his whole lung plus his lymph nodes   The doctor spoke to me and said there will likely be chmo I have not told Paul yet because I am scared because he said  he would not take it. So I think the doctor will tell him not me. He the doctor said 9 to 10 weeks after surgery so he just gets over this terrible operation and chemo starts. My heart aches I cannot bare to see him in pain. I just spoke to him on the phone through his oxygen mask and he doesn't even sound like my Paul. I just want everyone to know that iyour giving and donating and praying for him is totally awesome you have no idea how we love you all. I know your thoughts are with him  and he does too. Thank you all don't stop praying

CA
- See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/god-angels-and-the-universe-are-on-my-side-/199598?fb_action_ids=504033873075439&fb_action_types=og.comme#sthash.Bxt860yQ.MlOBP2tt.dpuf

Dave Chidley Photography
http://davechidley.ca/

Don Denton

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Latest update from Carol-Ann:

07/16/2014
by Carol-Ann Wodehouse
Here the update for Day 3, the doctor has seen him and says he is coming along nicely, he has been read the riot act many times by the nurses for trying to get out of bed and getting all the wires connected to Robot Paul, each time an alarm goes off and the nurses coming running and have to untangle him. He gets to sit in a chair tomorrow, big step, or big seat. He is got sedated so with his oxygen mask on his face with the humidity he sounds like Homer Simpson, hmmm I wonder if this goes away :). He is not eating, he looks at the hospital food and says yuck, he keeps asking everyone he sees "Can I go home yet". He is on a drip for pain called Dulatind (spelling) pretty powerful stuff, he slept last night for the first time in 2 days right through the night. The doctor told him it was a very large tumor and that is why the whole lung had to come out along with his lymph nodes and he may have to have chemo. The room he is in is very well monitored by nurses and that suits Paul just fine lol. He is still so sick and so helpless, he always been a rock for me, I guess it is my turn now, time will tell.  Thanks so much everyone for everything and all the prayers and donations they are helping him so much I know they are

Carol-Ann (The Wife) haha

- See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/god-angels-and-the-universe-are-on-my-side-/199598?fb_action_ids=504033873075439&fb_action_types=og.comme#sthash.FgSu0dli.dpuf

Don Denton

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 04:19 PM »
07/23/2014
by Carol-Ann Wodehouse
Paul is walking slow and running out of breath and sitting a lot but he talks on the phone so he figures that is his breathing exercises. He is sleeping well and watches a lot of sports   I'm going to get him to do the next update but I know he is so honoured by all of your gifts and that he cannot thank you all enough

07/20/2014
by Carol-Ann Wodehouse
Paul came home from the hospital, he is weak but is sleeping much better than he does at the hospital, he really loves being home I am very happy he is home, now we can settle down, we go back in 4 weeks to find out if he will do chemo, the doctor told me that he would prolly need it and so we shall see if Paul will take it I hope he does and I hope he doesn't, two entirely different thoughts. Chemo is so iffy what do you do? But at least he is at home and happy, he slep most of the day in his favorite chair, the dog totally ignored him, which hurt his feeling but Mee-Too will get used to him soon. He is one happy camper and loves being back home and so am I.
- See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/god-angels-and-the-universe-are-on-my-side-/199598?fb_action_ids=504033873075439&fb_action_types=og.comme#sthash.8WyWBlSg.dpuf

Don Denton

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:35 PM »
07/25/2014
Hi everyone it's Paul here now...out of hospital two days before the doctors were originally prepared to release me ... this process is no less uphill but i'm home now ... in my own bed that's long enough for me to fit in and eating  home cooked food ... i'm walking ten minutes each day and really hoping to increase that little by little each day...
Let me thank everyone that has taken the time to read and make these incredible gifts to Carol-Ann and I over this last while...I'm really overwhelmed at times by the support...there are times when I can feel the energy coming my way from so many different directions and all because of all of you who have found time to care. It's exactly the same kind of feeling I had when we lost our son a dozen years ago ...the out pouring of love and support was the same then as it is now so please keep sharing my story as much as you care to ... every loving thought counts
I will do updates regularly and tell you all how the battle goes.
- See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/god-angels-and-the-universe-are-on-my-side-/199598?fb_action_ids=504033873075439&fb_action_types=og.comme#sthash.3og0wmgd.dpuf