Author Topic: Tax Time  (Read 2403 times)

Tom Hicken

« on: March 04, 2014, 05:09 PM »
I've done a quick search here and come up with some interesting HST info, but can someone recommend info on accountants and maybe some recommendations for a new freelancer like me? This will be my first year filing as a small business owner (?) and I'd like to get things set up properly from the get-go.

The major mysteries to me are:
– how much should I be spending.. what is the cost range for an accountant for a freelancer?
- is consulting included with tips/what I should be doing, rather than just handing over all my paperwork/receipts?

Maybe we can open this up to general tax tips everyone has as well.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Re: Tax Time
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:46 AM »
Maybe get booklet RC4070, "Information for Canadian Small Businesses", from the federal government of your choice.  :)

You also need tax form T2125 and booklet T4002, as well as the regular T1 and all the other forms. T2125 lists the major categories for allowable expenses. It might be a good idea to use these same categories for your accounting. Spreadsheets are your friend.

Keep receipts for everything. If necessary, write on the back what the receipt is for.

Maybe have 12 envelopes, one for each month, and put receipts into appropriate envelope. Although, you may not have that many receipts. At the very worst, update your accounting at the end of each month. Don't wait until the end of the year.

Track all your car mileage (kilometrage ?) as well as business mileage.  Either buy a mileage book for $4 or print your own. Keep all car expense receipts.

Track each major purchase, such as camera, lens, etc, so you can see how it's being depreciated over time. When it's sold, written off, etc., you will know exactly what it's worth.

It helps to separate your personal life from your business life as much as possible: separate bank accounts, separate credit cards, separate cameras, separate computers, etc. It's okay to use personal gear for business, but using business gear for personal use can cause issues with tax deductions. This is why you have to track car mileage - to figure out exact personal and business use (unless you happen to have two cars).

Using an accountant can be a good thing, but you should know the basics. Accountants know much more than just how to fill out a tax form.

It's difficult to give an accounting course in a forum post. There's probably some night courses for small business accounting.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Tom Hicken

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:26 PM »
Warren – thank you, sir. This is the kind of thing I would rather just pay someone to do (if the price is within my budget), but it's probably best to know how to do these things myself for the future.

Thanks again. Future beer on me.

Any other must know tax tips out there?

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 03:25 PM »
You might want to investigate using a book keeper as an option. My wife is a self employed contract worker and our book keeper is on the ball. I believe they do almost everything an accountant can do (suggest things for you to expense) but there's a couple of things they can't do. Kinda like a D4 vs D800.

Fred

Jimmy Jeong

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 06:25 PM »
Does anyone have a great accountant they use that might be interested in putting together a workbook for Canadian Photographers? Maybe we can all chip in or one of the great sponsors might help pay for it.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 03:29 AM »
Quote from: Tom Hicken
This is the kind of thing I would rather just pay someone to do (if the price is within my budget), but it's probably best to know how to do these things myself for the future.

Thanks again. Future beer on me.

A photographer tells his friend that he's desperately searching for an accountant. The friend asks, “Didn’t you just hire an accountant to look after your business a short while ago?”  The photographer replies, “That’s the accountant I’m searching for.”

"Future Beer" -> a new online currency?

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Jimmy Jeong

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:02 PM »
BTW, you can expense 2 conferences a year. Perfect excuse to attend the 2014 NPAC conference in Vancouver.

Tom Hicken

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 04:12 PM »
"Beercoin"