Author Topic: FOX NFL 8K Camera- Big Upgrade  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
FOX NFL 8K Camera- Big Upgrade
« on: January 09, 2021, 11:24 AM »
FOX NFL introduces a new 8K hand held camera to it's normal array of game day camera technology and it is truly a remarkable upgrade. This Megladon camera is a Sony DSLR operated by a joystick. The photographer can run forward after a touchdown to cover the end zone celebrations with redefined clarity.

My first thought when I saw the images was 3D, it had the effect of a smart phone portrait mode. The background was very soft in a way not like diminishing focus to infinity that normal lens depth of field rerecords. The image had an unreal feel to it because it was so different. It was something like watching realistic gaming graphics, my eye was confused by the background. When ever they went back to that camera, I became more  accustomed to this new imagery.

The effect definitively separates the subject from the background through a soft focus effect in wide angle, something even depth of field of F2.8 or 1.4 could not.  This is a hand held camera that looks at players from eye level, but also shows the empty stands in the background. Most of the NFL coverage avoids the empty stands and this gives the game presentation a work around from the low angle. The effect brings the players and not the empty stands into sharp focus. I think the technology is a big step up, especially on large flat screen tv's.

I saw it used this past weekend in the LA vs Arizona game. (Jan.2 20210) FOX used it near the players bench for cutaways and the images really stood out. There are clips from the Seahawks vs San Francisco game that are not as impressive on a small computer screen. I watched part of the Seahawks game to see if the same technology was used but I didn't see any TD celebrations so I guess I missed it. (can Google comments from the Seahawks/SF game and explanation and examples of the image technology)

The Seahawks did have an overhead cable camera that swung across the width of the field that started at the top of the stadium and slowly moved across the field to the opposite side getting lower and lower to just above the teams coming out of the huddle in a near circular swing of 300 degree motion. The NFL did have a cable camera running down the middle of the field in the past, this angle running across the field is pretty neat.

The NFL has been a real pleasure during the pandemic. They had the Super Bowl before it hit in Feb.  2020, then the jaw dropping Tom Brady move to Tampa Bay, QB free agency scramble that included the Patriots, and the NFL Draft hosted by Roger Goodell that really demonstrated the NFL Way in innovation to create a very cool and interesting program. Live television really struggled with Covid. The NFL went all out with features about the players livening up the actual draft. Goodell was a very surprising, lively  and engaging host. The season itself dealt with Covid, games were moved and played. The intrigue builds with the older QB's vs the new studs from Buffalo, Baltimore  and Tennessee and many others.

Without fans moving a game to Tuesday or Saturday was not such a big problem and good for TV, with normal Sunday day/night, Monday Night  and Thursday night games. The NFL added game fan sounds for a time,even home fan groans at controversial calls.
Give the NFL credit, great adaption to a very limiting pandemic.

Funny thing, a studio camera photographer was shown in extreme closeup of his NFL FOX sock and logo. Say that three times, fast.

All sports has fared poorly without fans, the NFL I think has made the best of it. Let the playoffs begin in to the post Christmas wave of the Pandemic. GOOD Luck , I mean that sincerely. Opinion by Ken Gigliotti 2021

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On further review, after seeing a few more shots Jan 9/10th Wild Card Weekend , the effect looks more and more like a very slim depth of field effect. A slowed down view in the end zone seemed to show the very narrow field of focus move from chest to shoulder on a moving player. Other shots from the sideline view seem to isolate the subject in a more dramatic way. Must be shooting wide open on a 1.4 or 1.8 lens. It is a very interesting view quite different for TV cameras with long lens compression.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:12 PM by Ken Gigliotti »