Author Topic: Money Scam Using NPAC Contact List- Beware  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Money Scam Using NPAC Contact List- Beware
« on: December 10, 2020, 11:39 AM »
I was contacted about a money scam,the person is using the NPAC contact email list. I have to assume it is a scam,so beware.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 01:57 PM by Ken Gigliotti »

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Re: Money Scam Using NPAC Contact List- Beware
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 06:51 PM »
If you get an email claiming to be from NPAC, an NPAC executive or another NPAC member, and the email asks for money or your password, or the email includes an invoice or requests an urgent payment, or the email says the person is stranded in another country with no cash, credit cards or passport, it is always a scam.

It's easy to make an email appear to be coming from someone you know.

If in doubt, directly email the (NPAC) person who supposedly sent you the email. Do not use the "reply" button but use the addresses on our Contact page.

NPAC will *not* send you an email asking for money, asking you to pay a bill or asking for your password.

NPAC *will* send you an automated email to let you know that your membership is about to expire. This email will not ask for immediate cash and will not include an invoice. The email will only include a link to our site's Store which uses https.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Ryan McLeod

• Executive
  • Vancouver
    • Personal Website
    • Email
Re: Money Scam Using NPAC Contact List- Beware
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 01:27 PM »
I have had this conversation with a few members. Don't just look at the basic details on the email header, expand the email from field and you'll see exactly what email address is actually sending the email to you.

Like Warren said above, this situation is frustrating, but no one has hacked our email addresses. they just spoof the names to make it look like it.