Author Topic: Western Academy of Photography Closes  (Read 2107 times)

Don Denton

« on: April 08, 2014, 09:58 AM »
This school put a lot of grads in newspapers over the years. Provided teaching jobs as well.

http://www.vicnews.com/news/253276571.html

Steve Russell

Re: Western Academy of Photography Closes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Wow, they produced some great photographers!

Tannis Toohey and Rene Johnston at the Star are both graduates!

So was our super intern years ago Sean White.

Big loss!

Tim Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:16 PM »
They did produce some great photojournalists and photographers. Others photoj graduates are Deddeda Stemler, Olivier Asselin, Brett Beadle, Farah Nosh, Ryan Taplin and I believe Della Rollins (correct me if i'm wrong). And i'm sure there are many more that i'm forgetting or don't know about. For a small school Western seemed to hold it's own. It's a shame that it closed mid year and screwed a bunch of students and teachers.

-tim-

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Autofocus, autoexposure, auto white balance, auto flash, LCD reviews, infinite exposures per memory card, auto HDR, auto panoramas, face recognition with auto smile detection and auto open-eyes detection, auto head switching in group pictures, auto post-processing with hundreds of presets and infinite Youtube videos with photo experts explaining everything else. Who needs to go to school to learn about photography?

It appears that the photographer's job is basically to drive the camera to the assignment and then back home again.

What many people forget is that photography is not, and never was, about the camera. It's about what's behind and in front of the camera.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Steve Russell

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:49 PM »
What many people forget is that photography is not, and never was, about the camera. It's about what's behind and in front of the camera.

True that Warren, Andy Garcia's Assignment Chicago blog on pushing the button

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:06 PM »
I'm sure Mr. Russell mean to type Alex, who has a much tougher job, than Andy (Garcia)  ;)

Thanks Steve, a great link, and putting that on FB :)

Cheers,

Jack