Author Topic: WFP Photog Jeff de Booy Retires  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
WFP Photog Jeff de Booy Retires
« on: March 24, 2014, 02:50 PM »
 Photographer and  night picture desk editor Jeff de Booy retires after working  for two major Canadian dailies in his life , 8 years with Winnipeg Tribune , 28 years at the Winnipeg  Free Press .
 Jeff de Booy was born January 12th, 1952 in Diemen, a suburb of Amsterdam in The Netherlands. He Immigrated to Canada, along with his family, in the summer of 1955, landed at the famous Pier 21 in Halifax and settled in Winnipeg.
  While on assignment our Jeffy was intentionally  cut under the eye with the stick of his favourite  player and hockey legend Gordie Howe while  the two were sitting in the penalty box  during a WHA game. A p-off ,Mr. Hockey  thought he was getting too close with his camera when he  jabbed  Jeff below the eye with his stick drawing blood and causing  uproar from the fans and column the next day  for Jack Mathesson .
  Talk about getting close , music legend Liberace would say to him , while shaking his hand “My what a handsome young boy” during  a hotel room interview with Trib writer Gene Telpner .
This  job is forever  a rushed . His exceptional darkroom skill earned him the nick name  the “mechanic “ from his peers .  
  His selflessness also show by  the fact that be belongs to an exclusive  world wide 7% club when it comes to blood types.  He has  the rarest and most exceptional  Type O- blood. His blood type makes him a universal blood donor who contributed every 55 days  like  precision clockwork over 168 consecutive blood donations   continuously over   43 years .
He worked for the Tribune newspaper  until 1979  when he began doing specialized magazine feature in work for The Tribune's own Trib Magazine. The Winnipeg Tribune, along with The Trib Magazine folded  in 1980.He and his family experienced this devastating historic  event first hand . The sudden   closing of a 90 year old daily newspaper shocked everyone across Canada , and was  one of many newspaper closings   during this tumultuous time  . Jeff then continued to work as a photojournalist for The Winnipeg Free Press and other publications on a freelance basis.

When a photographic position opened up at the Free Press 5 years later  , his reputation   as a quality photographer & person ,  team player ,  general news & sports  photographer with specialized feature  , fashion and studio skills got him invited to  our staff by Gerry Cairns .  Fortunately for us  on December of 1986, Jeff resumed a full time career as a Photojournalist for The Winnipeg Free Press.
  Jeff distinguishing himself with remarkable pictures during the Red River Flood of the Century in 1997  and the Free Press books about the flood as well   contributing a chapter full of pictures dealing with the Interlake Region of Manitoba in the WFP book The Way We Live.

In 2005, Jeff took  on the position of Night Photo Editor until this day. A person who kept his opinions to himself and was always willing to offer them when  anyone asked ,he has been a great mentor to new staff.   His exceptional-ism has not diminished over these many years . He will be missed , we thank him for his 28 years of  service and his friendship.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:29 PM by Ken Gigliotti »

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: WFP Photog Jeff de Booy Retires
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:34 AM »
Great Bio Ken :) and please pass on my congrats to Jeff :) and condolences to the Freep ;)   My favourite Jeff de Booy / mechanic story is whilst at a Dwight Yoakam concert and he was wondering how he was going to shoot the singer because he had be given a tough space to fill ….  a wide space (say 6 - 8 inches) but a narrow height (say 2-3 inches).  I wished him luck and off he went.  Next day, I took a look at the Freep entertainment cover and, Baa Booom, I was blown away …. brilliant shot.  First thing, I did that day was to ring Jeff the free press and congratulate him on a purely magical photo.   

Thanks for the heads up Ken :)

Cheers,

Jack