Author Topic: Why what's in your bag doesn't matter  (Read 1391 times)

Don Denton

« on: December 07, 2012, 10:48 AM »
From Seth's Blog via A Photo Editor:

When everyone has access to the same tools then having a tool isn’t much of an advantage. The industrial age, the age of scarcity, depended in part on the advantages that came with owning tools others didn’t own.

Time for a new advantage. It might be your network, the connections that trust you. And it might be your expertise. But most of all, I’m betting it’s your attitude.

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2012/12/when-everyone-has-access-to-the-same-tools.html

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
Re: Why what's in your bag doesn't matter
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Well at it's simplest, those who have total mastery over their tools will have a slight advantage but as in all cases, it's what's behind the camera that matters most.

Attitude is but one part of the equation. Empathy, knowledge (as in understanding your story or subject) and risk taking (not talking physical risk) are also part of the dna of photographers who produce photography that is exemplary.

Fred

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:56 AM »
Quote from: Don Denton
When everyone has access to the same tools then having a tool isn’t much of an advantage.

Hmm, I have the same tennis racquet as Novak Djokovic...

When it comes to photography, (and I guess also home renovations), having the same tools as the pros just means it's easier to make better quality mistakes.

Nevertheless, in the eyes of a customer, all photographers look the same because we all use the same tools. So how does a customer decide with whom to do business?

By attitude.

"Attitude" doesn't just mean the tone of the person's voice or the words they use in an e-mail. It's the appearance and flow of their web site, the "feeling" of their pictures, the depth of their expertise, how quickly they respond to e-mails, how they dress for a job, how they deliver the finished pictures, etc.

A professional attitude is just the start. You also need a personable attitude, ethical attitude and of course everyone's favourite, a positive attitude.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Bob Carroll

• Lifetime
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:13 PM »
This reminds me of my days at UPI in Ottawa in late 60's. I was walking on Parliament Hill headed to Trudeau's office for a shoot. Bumped into a young fellow photog who asked where I was going.

I was carrying 1-Nikon around my neck, another on my shoulder and a sm (under the arm pit)  black Nikon bag.

"The PM's office!!", he said. "U don't even look like a photographer". I said "Don't  worry, I'll have a few front pages tomorrow, count on it".

Oh, the bag... Well it likely had a couple rolls film, strobe, maybe a meter too, we used em then.

Louie Palu

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:35 AM »
The pencil has been around longer than the camera, yet there are very few artists who could draw like the masters.

Though good luck blowing up a nice big print for an exhibition from an iphone.

Fundamentally this post/thread in essence is the right way to think.