Author Topic: Amazing new National Geographic fellowship (US only but do it if you can)  (Read 944 times)

Offline Robin Rowland

• Professional
  • Kitimat, BC
    • Robin Rowland
If anyone here knows a promising photo or digital journalism student or young photographer or reporter who is a US citizen or permanent resident tell them to apply right away to this amazing new program a Fullbright scholarship/fellowship to work with National Geographic.

http://www.us.fulbrightonline.org/fulbright-nat-geo-fellowship

One of the current recipients spent much of August in Kitimat on a environmental project  and I worked with her while she was here.  You have to have a solid story/project idea that involves "one, two, or three countries on a globally significant theme" The fellows will be trained and mentored by NatGeo staff. 

"The wide variety of new digital media tools and platforms has created an unprecedented opportunity for people from all disciplines and backgrounds to share observations and personal narratives with global audiences online. These storytelling tools are powerful resources as we seek to expand our knowledge of pressing transnational issues and build ties across cultures."

And from what I can tell the budget for the project is for most current staff journalists to dream about. (The student here had the budget to buy a used 4x4 SUV to get through rugged parts of BC, though she will sell it to recoup costs when she goes back to the states)

Eligibility U.S. citizens of all ages and from all backgrounds are eligible to apply. Applicants may come from a broad range of fields, a variety of academic and processional backgrounds, and have diverse storytelling experiences. Candidates must have completed at least an undergraduate degree by the commencement of the program but may not hold a Ph.D. at the time of application. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated talent for storytelling (including but not limited to publications in print, online or multimedia platforms) and an academic or professional background relevant to their proposed project.

(I did shoot the work here but I am waiting until she updates her own blog before I post my pix and link to it)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 06:44 PM by Robin Rowland »

Robin Rowland
Independent visual journalist, photographer and author
Kitimat BC

http://robinrowland.com