Author Topic: Ian Willms Q&A  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: Ian Willms Q&A
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Wow, firstly, I didn't realise that Mr. Willms was so young  :o.  I really admire his "get up and go get 'em" ability :)

One thing I picked up in that latter part of the interview -- the advice to future/up and coming PJ's -- was:

"…if somebody tells you that it’s not good and that you should be doing what everybody else is doing, …"

I should qualify my response by stating that I am in no way a real photojournalist but, merely, a guy with a camera who has, on occasion, taken some "spot news" shot because of being in the right place at the right time.     Anyhow, It has been my experience and advice to people with cameras, as photo retailer, that shooting everything that everyone else does is rather difficult not to do :(   So, look at what everybody is shooting and how they're shooting it then do some similar shots but, then, if time permits, look around and try to find a different perspective and shoot it from there or if everyone's shooting it wide, try it with a tele or vice versa.  Thusly, one might develop their own style ……. artsy, if you will  ;).

Cheers and thanks for another great interview, Mr. Taylor.

Jack Simpson