Author Topic: In the bag  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
In the bag
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Yesterday, the city of Toronto voted to ban all retail store plastic bags. Today, photographers were out trying to illustrate something that won't actually happen until next year.

I went to 14 grocery stores (yes, fourteen !%#@$ stores) to ask if I could photograph someone bagging groceries. The answers were, in no particular order: no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no and no.

Okay, I'll stand in a shopping mall parking lot and photograph people carrying bags of stuff to their cars.

You know, they can't stop shoplifters, they can't stop graffiti vandals, they can't stop car break-ins and they can't stop illegal parking, but by gosh, shopping mall security can instantly hit defcon 1 when they spot someone taking pictures in the parking lot. Who knew shopping mall security vehicles now have a siren (in addition to the flashing lights)?

Sigh.

When did people become so fearful and suspicious of cameras and photography?

I remember when "I'm with the newspaper" was enough to open almost any door.

On the bright side, I got a free can of Pringles today.  :)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:11 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Moe Doiron

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Its been my experience that when asked why I can't shoot photos in a particular location, most security and/or public relations personnel cannot answer the question. The default reply is usually that its the "policy" but often you can actually see a cloud over their heads as they wonder to themselves, ya why can't he? They are generally trying to enforce a rule that they don't even understand themselves.

Francis Vachon

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:33 AM »
That's called the 5 monkey in a cage theorie/rule:
http://www.sageconcepts.com/5-monkeys-and-a-cage

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Re: In the bag
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:06 PM »
re: 5 monkeys - that pretty much explains it.

If anyone cares, here's a spot-on column by The Globe and Mail columnist Margaret Wente about Toronto's plastic bag ban.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03 PM »
It is ironic , a few weeks ago a person was assaulted in a popular  Winnipeg Shopping mall , in order to  walk around inside the mall looking for a  crime scene ,I put my  camera into a plastic shopping bag  and walked around without anyone bothering me. Damned  banned thing.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:06 PM by Ken Gigliotti »

Lyle Aspinall

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Try walking into several pharmacies unannounced to illustrate an oxycontin story. Surprisingly, that one only took me six stores, but the reaction on the first five was identical: "Are you out of your mind?" I guess those darned shopping bags are even more risky than addictive drugs.

Peter Lee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30 PM »
It's all about "Brand" image.

Offline Jack Simpson

• Retired Professional
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:38 PM »
It is ironic , a few weeks ago a person was assaulted in a popular  Winnipeg Shopping mall , in order to  walk around inside the mall looking for a  crime scene ,I put my  camera into a plastic shopping bag  and walked around without anyone bothering me. Damned  banned thing.

I do that all the time in Vancouver, albeit mostly outside in the rain, and with
my lens peeking out should I need to take a pic  ;)

Jack