Author Topic: An interesting personal insight from Glen Pearson  (Read 1485 times)

John Densky

An interesting personal insight from Glen Pearson
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:18 AM »

http://glenpearson.ca/2012/07/11/humanity-in-an-image/

disclaimer - through personal relationships i am aware of the fact that Kevin Carter had protracted, serious mental health issues prior to the image being taken. it remains an incomplete story, the claim that he took his life as a result of being tormented by the fallout from the image.

Offline Ken Gigliotti

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: An interesting personal insight from Glen Pearson
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:19 PM »
 This is the picture every photographer fears . It is the picture no newspaper wants , they have meetings over pictures like this . This picture is tragedy wrapped in futility , wrapped in  sadness . The backlash  , the phone calls , the threats of cancelation. 
  It is a hard picture for  North American  media. There is no happy ending , no saving grace . Only a news photographer could  take this picture . This photograph  stays with  the photographer , it haunts them . Anyone who has  shot this type of photo knows it , everyone has one or more . This one looks right back at you and touches you.
  What would anyone of us do in that same position . I cannot judge . I know my wife would have picked up the baby ,held it , gave it comfort . Paul Simon says in one of his songs , “men are machines , women are rivers”, it is better to be a river.

If there can be perfect evil , and perfect joy , there must also be perfect sadness . Award winning sadness , a sadness  so perfect that it takes the life of the person who recorded it.  Perfectly, another sees the perfect sadness  and steps  up to help.This is our brutal world.

They love us because we got THAT moment absolutely  right , because we do things that help , we do things that let other people help , they love us because we cause things to change for the better .
  They love us because the poor and powerless sometimes get their say or because we love to go to war , but we never stick with it .

Photographers have an incredible capacity of empathy and they can be overtaken by it. Rest In Peace Kevin Carter

Photographers face the possibility  of confronting the violent and surreal events of the day in a deep and personal level.These depths sometimes seem unfathomable . Like it or not we often have no choice in the things we are sent to. Somethings  get through, it but  the mind cannot  process  the terror .
 Violent dreams are a way the brain tries to cope.I met a woman , badly burned in a house fire . She told me that she had the same dream every night for a year . She dreamed that She died in every dream . After a year she still dreamt about death , but SHE did not die . Untreated the brain  tries to  work  it out .
 Surviving deep depression and mental anguish needs professional help.
 Photographers experience a high rate of post traumatic stress  from things they see on the job . There are effective non drug treatment. Some of the drug treatments have dangerous  side effects that can result in suicide .
  Because of the photographs , treatment can be very effective . Pictures help the doctor or occupational therapist  understand and direct the best strategy for a cure . Anyone  bothered by the things they see on the job should not hesitate or be afraid to seek treatment .This treatment is most often free of charge. People in our business simply do not believe  in PTSD ,but report these  incidents anyway to company management .
 I recently met a photographer that experienced a serious violent incident and decided to try to GUT it Out on his own .After a short conversation the photog got medical help and is well on his way to adjusting to the incident in a healthy way . The treatment works , self medicating is dangerous and ineffective with an unhealthy prolonging effect. .
 Family doctors  are well equipped to start the journey. Sooner is better.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:52 PM by Ken Gigliotti »