Author Topic: November East Clips results  (Read 126 times)

Offline Walter Strong

• Professional
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
November East Clips results
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:17 PM »
JUDGES

Briana Scroggins, Photojournalist, Ogden Standard-Examiner
Matt Herp, Photojournalist, Ogden Standard-Examiner 

Judges’ comments after section heads.
Feature

We had a lot of discussion of the arrangement of these photographs. The first place image is ridiculous and hilarious. It definitely made us laugh out loud. Second is a beautiful image of a meaningful story. Third is just darn cool layers and composition. HM is a nice photo of the super moon.

1. Carlos Osorio - Toronto Star

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 27  -  A man commits an unwanted vulgar gesture towards an Ottawa Redblacks cheerleader during the tail gate of the CFL on November 27, 2016.

2. Carlos Osorio - Toronto Star

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 1  -  A woman cleans a gravesite on Day of the Dead in Oaxaca Mexico on November 1, 2016.

3. Nick Iwanyshyn - Maclean's Magazine

Toronto FC supporters march to BMO field ahead of their semi final MLS Cup match against Montreal Impact, November 30, 2016.

HM. Mark Blinch - Freelance

The full moon rises over the Toronto skyline as seen from Milton, Monday November 14, 2016.  The brightest moon in almost 69 years lights up the sky this week in a treat for star watchers around the globe. The phenomenon is known as the supermoon.

Spot News

First place is one of my favorites from the whole month. I like the composition a lot. The (intentional/lucky) double pink lines carries out through the photograph; the tape, the reflective stripes on his coat and the double pink/red fire hoses curving through the image. Second is a nice spot news photograph of a sad situation. We chose not to award a third.

1. Josie Desmarais - Freelance

A massive fire in an abandoned historical building on Park Ave. required more than 100 firefighters and many hours to stop it from spreading to neighbouring buildings, in Montreal, on November 23, 2016.

2. Patrick Woodbury - Le Droit

Une cycliste est happée par un camion sur la rue Laurier au centre-ville d'Ottawa. 1er septembre 2016.

News

We really liked the first place photo. The ability to capture the chaos of the march in a beautiful and clean way is great. Second, a nice newsy photo of the Grey Cup. It shows the coach’s pride in a subtle way. The third place is a great moment and one of the strongest “moments” of that category. We love the strong composition of the author photograph.  It is very nicely framed. I feel like detail shots don’t often make it to the top of News categories.  I do wish there was a human element to it, but the red of the paint over the sign gives me that drop-in-the-stomach feeling, which indicates it is also a strong story telling image.

1. Nick Iwanyshyn - Maclean's Magazine

Toronto FC supporters march to BMO field ahead of their semi final MLS Cup match against Montreal Impact, November 30, 2016.

2. Justin Tang - Freelance

Ottawa Redblacks coach Rick Campbell looks at the Grey Cup after team landed in Ottawa after winning the trophy against the Calgary Stampeders on Sunday in Toronto, on Monday, Nov. 28, 2016.

3. Bernard Brault - La Presse

After a long trip where he swam in the water of all the continents, Normand Piche, is welcomed home at the Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport by his niece  Margaret Dambreville. Nov. 17, 2016.

HM. Justin Tang - Freelance

A note welcoming people to the Glebe Minyan, a home-based Jewish centre, is streaked with red paint as workers remove anti-Semitic graffiti, including a swastika, that was spray painted on overnight, on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016 in Ottawa.

HM. Ryan Pfeiffer - Metroland

OSHAWA -- Don Cherry was at the Chapters at the Oshawa Centre signing copies of his book, Don Cherry's Sports Heroes. Nov. 24, 2016.

Portrait

This was such a strong category. So much great work everyone!  We debated the placement of the first four images. It definitely wasn’t an easy decision. The image we decided as first is very different. We debated the busy background, poles, etc. but concluded that it works with the information that was given in the caption. I just think it is very unique. The second place gives all the feels!  We love how fun and unique it is as well. Third has such great personality. HM is beautiful. We love the lighting and composition and how it works with the caption. For us the desaturation was odd, but other than that a great image. HM Nice light, nice composition. Edgy.

1. Carlos Osorio - Toronto Star

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 29  - Robert McDermott has launched the "Free Scarborough Campaign", aimed at getting the city to de-amalgamate from the city of Toronto. He says he has 3,200 signatures so far on a petition.  November 29, 2016.

2. Mark Blinch - Freelance

Toronto, Ontario - November 7, 2016 -- Kevin Jeffers --  Central Tech Blues coach Kevin Jeffers poses with his team in Toronto, Monday November 7, 2016.

3. Ryan Pfeiffer - Metroland

OSHAWA -- Russell Smith, a 96 year old World War II veteran, was recently recognized as an outstanding Ontario senior for his volunteer work with St. John Paul II catholic school. Nov. 14, 2016.

HM Bernard Brault - La Presse

Portrait of Jean Michel Tuchscherer, he won 15,000.00$ from the city of Montreal after falling on the ice on a sidewalk during winter. Nov. 17, 2016.

HM Ryan Pfeiffer - Metroland

OSHAWA -- Sheldon Scott is the owner of Evolution Fitness Training in Oshawa. Nov. 14, 2016.

Sports

Dang, when you guys aren’t taking great portraits you are taking great sports photographs. This was another tough category to narrow down. I really like the chances and variety of images submitted to this category. The first place image was a clear winner. It is a tough shot to get as well as its clean and telling. The second was hands down the best jubilee moment out of a lot of great jubilee moments. We loved a lot of the aerial hockey photos but this one had the best story telling moment and nice clean composition. HM is a nice classic moment.

1. Bernard Brault - La Presse

Montreal Canadiens goalie, Carey Price, eyes the puck during 3rd period action at the Bell Center. The Canadiens defeated the Vancouver Cannucks 3-0.  Nov. 2, 2016.

2. Bernard Brault - La Presse

Montreal Impact Hassoun Camara reacts after his teammate, Matteo Mancosu, scored a goal against the Tornto FC soccer club at the Olympic Stadium.

3. Mark Blinch - Freelance

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 22: Cam Ward #30 of the Carolina Hurricanes reaches for the puck as James van Riemsdyk #25 of the Toronto Maple Leafs falls on him during the third period at the Air Canada Centre on November 22, 2016 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. 

HM Carlos Osorio

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 27  - Ottawa Redblacks quarterback Henry Burris is emotional after his team won the Grey Cup over the Calgary Stampeders at BMO field in Toronto on November 27, 2016.

Multipic

There are some phenomenal singles in these stories that I think would have done well in other categories. We felt like the first place package told a story best.  There are different aspects and angles from the game. Second place is a nice story. Please spend more time with that family, it could really build to be a beautiful and compelling package. Third has another favorite image from the month (the last image.) It is a really nice moment and scene setter. We wished the photographer would have explored more areas/backgrounds.

1. Patrick Woodbury - Le Droit

My day in Toronto for the 104th Grey Cup. Ottawa Redblacks won 39-33 against Calgary Stampeders. November 27, 2016, Toronto.

My day in Toronto for the 104th Grey Cup. Ottawa Redblacks won 39-33 against Calgary Stampeders. November 27, 2016, Toronto.

2. Carlos Osorio - Toronto Star

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 20  - Checking in on how Abdulwahab Alzoubi and his family are doing a year after resettlement to Canada sponsored by the Canadian government. November 20, 2016.

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 20  -
Abdulwahab watches news about Syria with two of his children, 5-year-old Sham and 11-year-old Mohammad. 

One of the four children, 10-year-old Taghreed in the family kitchen.

Mariam Basher prepares tea in the kitchen with her son Hasan looking on.

Daughter Hanan holds a cellphone while surrounded by her brothers Hasan, Azzam and Mohammad while Rahaf sits on the other couch.

Mohammad "dabs" for the camera.

(back row left to right)Daughter Hanan,  wife Mariam Basher, husband Bedrettin Al Muhamad, son Hasan.
(front row left to right)son Azzam, son Mohammad and daughter Rahaf.

3. Carlos Osorio - Toronto Star

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 1  -   Justin Gundlock, Kate Wright and Carlos Osorio travel to Mexico. November 1, 2016.

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 1  -   Justin Gundlock, Kate Wright and Carlos Osorio travel to Mexico. November 1, 2016. 

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 30  -   Justin Gundlock, Kate Wright and Carlos Osorio travel to Mexico. October 30, 2016

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 2  -   Justin Gundlock, Kate Wright and Carlos Osorio travel to Mexico. November 2, 2016.

TORONTO, ON - NOVEMBER 1  -   Day of the Dead is a time when Mexican people. November 1, 2016.

Standings

Name:
Mark Blinch
Bernard Brault
Carlos Osario
Nick Iwanyshyn
Justin Tang
Ryan Pfeiffer
Cole Burston
Patrick Woodbury
Andrew Lahodynskyj
Ken Armstrong