Author Topic: Mirrorless Cameras  (Read 2485 times)

Offline David Lipnowski

• Inactive Member
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
      • Portfolio
      • Email
Mirrorless Cameras
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Just curious to see who uses mirrorless cameras for work. I know a lot of wedding photogs are dumping their Canon & Nikon DSLR kit, and moving to Fuji and Sony setups.

I'd guess that a few of you use one as a supplemental camera to the big bulky DSLRs, but not even consider switching altogether for assignments such as sports where a long lens with fast AF is needed.

From playing with a few different models for a couple of weeks, they look like they have some really strong features at a fraction of the size, and more importantly to me, weight. I'm sure they will be taking a huge chunk out of the DSLR market.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on the topic.

-David

David Lipnowski Photography
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.davidlipnowski.com

Offline Kenneth Armstrong

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • www.kennetharmstrong.ca
      • Email
Re: Mirrorless Cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I was using a Fuji X100 for a while, it was a nice little point and shoot with a DSLR-size sensor and made some nice pictures but it was completely impractical for me.

I sort of envisioned using it like my old Leica, for quick street work but I found it too clumsy.

I did end up using it for things like long-exposure night shooting and environmental portraits, I really liked the 1/1000 sync speed for controlling ambient, but that was the problem... I bought it for quick and dirty and it really only worked for me for slow and methodical.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Offline Martin Bazyl

• Inactive Member
  • Toronto, Ontario
      • Martin Bazyl Photography
      • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:03 PM »
I use two mirror less Sony bodies, the a77 and the a99, and have no complaints.  Obviously my drawback is lens selection but they are getting their rears in order

Offline Jack Simpson

• Inactive Member
  • Vancouver, BC
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Just curious to see who uses mirrorless cameras for work. I know a lot of wedding photogs are dumping their Canon & Nikon DSLR kit, and moving to Fuji and Sony setups.

I'd guess that a few of you use one as a supplemental camera to the big bulky DSLRs, but not even consider switching altogether for assignments such as sports where a long lens with fast AF is needed.

From playing with a few different models for a couple of weeks, they look like they have some really strong features at a fraction of the size, and more importantly to me, weight. I'm sure they will be taking a huge chunk out of the DSLR market.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on the topic.

-David

Hi David,

A mate of mine, Nikon shooter, picked up the Fuji XE-2 and assorted lenses and, whilst not a "wedding photog, per se", has done a few commercial/event jobs where, before, he would have normally  used a Nikon DSLR (DX and/or FX) and assorted lenses, he would use his XE-2.    Also, add to this, Fuji is (allegedly) coming out with a few "2.8" zooms in the 16/18-50(ish)/2.8 and 40/50-135(ish)/2.8 lenses which should accommodate most wedding photogs needs/desires/wants, etc…  ;).   Also, he picked up the Fuji 56/1.2  for low light/shallow DOF stuff  … when he, already,  has a Fuji 60/2.4 ::).   

Also, there's a new deal out where if you pickup an XE-2 you receive an 18/2 lens and there is a $500 or $600 mail-in rebate involved … maybe check with Don's to find the real deal  :)

Cheers

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

MY BLOG: http://nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com/

Offline David Lipnowski

• Inactive Member
  • Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
      • Portfolio
      • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jack, I did actually buy an xe2 with the 18mm f/2, and ended up returning it. I was not happy with the quality, though i think it was more of the lens than the camera ( i've read that this lens has the poorest IQ of Fuji's primes). It may have just been a bad copy, but I didn't feel like going through the hassle to exchange it for another before a trip, so just returned the thing.

David Lipnowski Photography
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.davidlipnowski.com

Offline Jack Simpson

• Inactive Member
  • Vancouver, BC
      • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jack, I did actually buy an xe2 with the 18mm f/2, and ended up returning it. I was not happy with the quality, though i think it was more of the lens than the camera ( i've read that this lens has the poorest IQ of Fuji's primes). It may have just been a bad copy, but I didn't feel like going through the hassle to exchange it for another before a trip, so just returned the thing.

Hi David,

One of the photo retail guys out here, YVR, who flogs the Fuji kit, has mentioned that the 18/2 ain't the best but, at no charge, it was worth it but, at it's regular price ($???), it wasn't worth it.    That, to me, just didn't make sense.  I can see someone who does' know better (image quality) might like it as a good, if not screaming, deal … but, as a retailer, I would want to make sure they knew that, comparatively speaking, the 18-55 kit lens has better reviews and, in all probability, better image quality.   

That said, I have, yet, to hear much in the way of negative comments regarding the XE-2 and the other primes and, for that matter, the zooms :)  OOC, have you had the opportunity to try the camera with any of the other lenses?

Cheers, happy trails and continued good shooting :)

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

MY BLOG: http://nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com/

Offline David Buzzard

• Inactive Member
  • Whistler BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • David Buzzard Photography
      • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:15 PM »
As a guy who does a lot of weddings, I wouldn't want to use a mirror-less camera for one.  Weddings take a big toll on equipment, and they just aren't going to cut it in either performance or durability.

Freelance for the Whistler Question, Pique NewsMagazine, and the Squamish Chief