Author Topic: Composition Critique  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Alexander Parker Ingham

• Inactive Member
      • Email
Composition Critique
« on: July 18, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Hi,

This is Parker. I am new to this site (hopefully I am posting this correctly). I am 3rd year Canadian uni student not in photography (gasp). I always want to improve and would really appreciate an informed critique of my work! I understand posting a flickr link should scream unprofessional but I am just looking for advice that applies to my approach/interpretation of my subject, how to diversify my photographic styles given my subject, and if possible how to improve my shooting quality (I realize viewing a photo on flickr is not great quality). A private site, proper write ups, and appropriate titles for the photos will come next. My personal contact is aipoker@hotmail.com  Thanks.

P.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9990425@N06/sets/72157600767637173/show/

Offline Ben Nelms

• Professional
  • Canada
      • Ben Nelms
      • Email
Re: Composition Critique
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:10 PM »
Alex;

What do you want to do with your photography?

My guess is that you do not want to shoot bridges, windows and postcards forever.

I think you will get the most out of this forum if you show some work that involves people. Feelings, moments, relationships.

Composing a photograph of flowers and staircases won't be problem. However, composing a photograph of a fleeting moment will be.

Ben

Offline Alexander Parker Ingham

• Inactive Member
      • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Hi,

a. Thanks for the comments. tried to send a personal message.
b. will reformat pictures into groups that tell a story that give more context than random post card pictures and re-post link if relevant(i've looked at your personal site and i believe i'm picking up what you're putting down)

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53 PM »
Parker,

NPAC is about news photography but none of your pictures have anything to do with news. So I'm not really sure what critique to offer.

Some of your pictures are nice but some need to be edited better - contrast, density, sharpness and cropping (both in-camera and in-computer).