Author Topic: My first attempt at working abroad  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Amanda Siebert

• Inactive Member
  • Calgary, AB.
      • www.amandasiebert.com
      • Email
My first attempt at working abroad
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Hello,

I would love some critique on a body of work that I completed recently during a one-month stay in Kathmandu, Nepal. I was able to complete this project while working as an intern at Kathmandu's largest English-language publication, The Rising Nepal.

A bit about myself: I graduated from Langara College's Professional Photo-Imaging Program last May and have since been working as a seasonal photographer in Haida Gwaii, BC. When I'm not working up north, I'm doing my best to develop compelling projects.

Thanks very much for taking a look; I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

http://www.amandasiebert.com/index.html

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:37 PM by Amanda Siebert »

Amanda Siebert
Currently located in Calgary, Alta.
+www.amandasiebert.com
+info@amandasiebert.com
+587.896.5514

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: My first attempt at working abroad
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Feel free to ignore any or all of the following:

First, let's talk about your web site:

• the three black dots at the bottom of customheader1.jpg are a bit distracting. I thought they were things that didn't load properly on the page. There's some strange coding on the web pages: eg. customheader1.jpg is loaded 2-1/2 times: once as an image, once as a background image and the half-time as "custom-header1.jpg".

• probably don't need to use the word "independent".

• a lot of white space at the top due to the strange CSS. While you shouldn't pack things too tight and overcrowd a page, remember that pixels don't grow on trees.  :D

(Edit - removed a couple of screen grabs)

• The Contact and About pages both use extremely wide lines of text. When have you ever seen a newspaper, magazine or book use lines of text that wide? The reason is that people have trouble reading wide rows of text.

• One of the best-kept secrets on your site is your email address.

• Personally, I'm not a fan of Flash. Most slideshows can be done with javascript and jQuery which don't require any plugins, loads faster and runs faster. Web browsers are always being better-optimized for javascript, not Flash.  Also, javascript and jQuery are free which means you won't have a distracting advertising link on your slideshow.

Photo stuff:
Quote from: Amanda Siebert
...I'm doing my best to develop compelling projects.

Very good job with that. But.....

• many of the pictures could be edited better: cropped, toned and/or sharpened. Although some of this may be due to how the pictures were converted to B+W.

• several nice pictures here and there but each category could be edited much tighter

• there doesn't appear to be any order or sequence to the pictures within any category, except "Blue Collar".

• most of the text slides can be reworded to avoid unnecessary hyphenation.

Slums:

• several of the pictures have no point of interest. They appear to be general snapshots taken during a walk through town.

• too many pictures of kids; too many backs or sides of people's heads.

Rather than trying to tell a story of an entire town, sometimes it's better to tell the story of one family.

Suburban commute:

"...plagued with traffic  and backlogs at all hours of the day..."

Really? So where are the pictures?  The pictures show: pedestrians on a near-empty stairway and half-empty escalator; a single row of cars; an empty bike lane; a woman driving on an empty street; an empty train station; a half-empty parking lot, etc.

Blue Collar:

This type of photo story isn't as easy as it looks because you have to follow someone around all day and constantly be in their face (so to speak). Basically, you're in their way all day. So good for you for trying this project (unless the guy is your father in which case I may take this back.  :D )

It's also tough to stay photographically awake all day long as the person goes through their mundane activities.

His co-workers look up to him? According to your pictures, they don't even speak to him. There's no interaction whatsoever.

No full-length pictures, no loose pictures showing the guy in his workspace. Mostly only tight pictures of the guy.

The guy works for his family? What family is that? According to your pictures, he sits alone in a room watching TV.

Elder abuse:

Good for you for trying this story.

Does it matter that the building in the first picture is crooked? Partway thru, three mystery women pop up. They each sit alone and have no interaction with anyone or anything.

There are ten half-length, or tighter, shots of the woman (when only two or three are needed), and there are no pictures actually showing the woman in her "cluttered apartment", for example: an "environmental portrait" showing her standing or sitting in her cluttered livingroom.

As with the other stories, there are too many sides or tops of heads.

You seem to favour higher camera angles (not that there's anything wrong with that).

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:13 AM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Amanda Siebert

• Inactive Member
  • Calgary, AB.
      • www.amandasiebert.com
      • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34 PM »
Thanks Warren for the great feedback.

As far as my website goes, it has been giving me nothing but headaches recently and I am trying to figure out. I don't see the three dots in my browser but seeing as every browser is different, it's definitely something I will look into getting rid of. Cleaning up the CSS is definitely a priority. And yes, I hate flash too. Javascript is definitely the next step.

I really appreciate the feedback in regards to my photographs and will take everything into consideration as I start my next projects. I'll also be sure to edit everything down to a more reasonable number of images.

Thank you!  :)

Amanda Siebert
Currently located in Calgary, Alta.
+www.amandasiebert.com
+info@amandasiebert.com
+587.896.5514

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Amanda, there's nothing inherently wrong with your photography. Sure, some pictures need better toning but that's not a big deal. You do need more focus (no pun intended, really) and that comes only from experience. Certainly, taking more pictures helps but also study other photographers' work. Examine why they shot their pictures.

If picture editing was easy, we wouldn't need all those overpaid photo editors.  ::)

Those three little black dots are actually in the image customheader1.jpg.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com