NPAC Forum > General Discussion

Accreditation and Freelance

(1/5) > >>

Stacey Newman:
I've worked as a professional photographer for about seven years, primarily commercial and stock. Though, with a background as a writer and journalist, my interests have always included photojournalism. I have shot as a freelance photojournalist for just a few years, so my experience is limited. One problem I'm running into is applying for accreditation for events that require letters of assignment. In general I work with a number of agencies/publications that publish or represent my work. So, I don't typically have one "assignment" for events where accreditation is required.

I usually explain this and get accreditation, but sometimes without an assignment from an outlet I'm not granted access. Just wondering what other freelancers do regarding coverage for accredited events.

thank you

Kenneth Armstrong:
Hello Stacey,

There is a really good thread already on the student board that covers this subject. It's about halfway down the page.

http://npac.ca/forums/index.php?board=22.0

Stacey Newman:
Thanks Kenneth, appreciated. I've just gone through the thread. I understand the impetus for the thread in the student section, however it doesn't really cover professionals who choose to work freelance at major events. I think there's a middle ground comprised of those of us who work freelance professionally for various reasons (for me it pertains to RF licensing contracts I have with stock agencies). the advice provided in the student thread about building local stories within a portfolio is great advice for students/amateurs. In any case, for the benefit of any other freelancers in similar situations, I usually resolve this issue by speaking to the accreditation reps and explaining my coverage. But as I said in my OP, it doesn't always gain me access anymore...I suspect because 'amateurs' or 'fans' are taking advantage of the accreditation process.

Kenneth Armstrong:
One of the side benefits of pointing you to that thread is because it is a closed board, only members can see and post there. So the 'amateurs' or 'fans' that you are competing against won't be able to see the advice within and benefit from it.

Peter McCabe:
Unfortunately Stacey it is not about freelancers abusing, it is more along the lines of too many photographers at a venue crowding out those who have been sent by mainstream and more accredited services, (not implying you are with an UN-accredited service) also there is a newer (actually not that new) attempt to control and monitor, the amount and use of images of events, and when loads of freelancers arrive they loose that control. i have been a freelancer for a while now and if i am not asked to go somewhere i just don't go, i get calls regularly about events in Montreal seeking images if i have of many events, even ones covered extensively by all the news gatherers. exempting news events in the public it is a crap shoot, do the best you can to get credentials but expect a lot of sorry cant give you one, to come your way.
by the way the best example is the Montreal Alouettes, at each game 2 years ago it was common to see at least 2 high school photographers, a few radio station photographers and a few others "just there", along with the 6 dailies , wire services and a couple weekly papers, last year, season 2011 was brutal as they cut back on all of them, including myself shooting for the CFL through CP images,i can only get game passes and no longer a season pass that would make it easier to get onsite for those games i need to be there.  events are getting tougher to get access to as these organizations and PR firms really want to control where the images are going. good luck dont give up and do what you can to get what you need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version