Welcome to the News Photographers Association of Canada
Great things are yours to discover in Canada’s only web site designed especially for press photographers, including staffers, freelancers and students alike. As photojournalists, it’s time we took more control of our future and give ourselves a louder voice with which to champion our contributions to journalism.
A single group creates a nation-wide community of photographers that will support Canadian photojournalists’ ideals, voice our concerns and create a culture that will promote, educate, defend and give credibility to our principles.
Suppliers to our profession can now deal with one entity when promoting their products and services. As a single group, we will be undeniably stronger.
Membership is open to:
• Photojournalists, press photographers, documentary photographers and photo editors living and working in Canada.
• Canadian photojournalists, press photographers, documentary photographers and photo editors living and working abroad.
• Students registered in a Canadian post-secondary school photojournalism program.
• Those who are retired photojournalists, press photographers, documentary photographers and photo editors and are no longer working photographers or editors.
Benefits Of Joining NPAC
● All Canadian news, press and documentary photographers under one national roof.
● Stay connected with all your peers in the industry.
● Student news, information, contests and access to mentors.
● Reduced registration fee to the annual conference.
● Take part in the National Pictures Of The Year (NPOY) contest.
● Receive a copy of Pictures of the Year book which showcases the winning NPOY entries.
● Access to job listings and member discounts. (Must be logged into the Forums.)
● Portfolio reviews.
● Reaffirm your support of your profession and network with colleagues.
Important: NPAC membership is not a press credential. NPAC does not issue any type of press card, press pass or press ID.
Don’t waste your money buying a “press card” or “press pass” from a web site. They are fake. All of them.
To begin your journey with Canada’s national organization for news photographers, click on STORE in the menu bar near the top of the page and become a member today. Membership requirements are listed in our By-Laws. First-time applicants should include a link to their online portfolio.
Please note that membership registration may take a short time before becoming active. For better or worse, this site is still run by real people (at least, we like to think that people are in charge and not the machines). All of these people are working photographers, some of whom travel across the country or around the world on assignments. So please be patient.
Our credit card processor (i.e. “payment gateway”) is Vancouver-based Payfirma. Both Payfirma and npac.ca are PCI compliant. After paying, you should receive a receipt from Payfirma in a few moments. Your credit card statement should show “NEWS PHOTOGRAPHERS ASSOCI …” where the ‘…’ might be WWW.NPAC.CA or VANCOUVER,BC depending on your credit card. If in doubt, contact us.
An e-mail from NPAC will be sent with your log-in information, usually within 48 hours (but see a previous paragraph re: this site runs on real people).
If you have log-in issues, contact email@example.com.
Annual membership rates (in Canadian dollars):
• Professional – $75.
• Retired professional – $35.
• Student (student ID number required) – $35.
Membership fees may be subject to change and the current fees are listed on the Store page.
When registering, type your name carefully. It will be used as your account name.
Renewing your membership
The members list shows only current members and the date of their last renewal. Memberships run for one year. If your name isn’t on the list then that usually means your membership expired more than a year ago.
If you’re renewing an account, as much as possible please use the same name and e-mail address as before. This way, your previous posts and account history will remain attached to the same account.
If you’ve forgotten your password, the password recovery feature won’t work if you’ve changed your e-mail address. Let us know and we can help.
To contact us, please use, of course, the Contact Us page.