Author Topic: Shooting a Sports Event in the US on Spec - US Immigration?  (Read 1315 times)

Dave Holland

Shooting a Sports Event in the US on Spec - US Immigration?
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Hey all,

I'm headed to the US to shoot a few games of the IIHF women's world championships.  I'm not hired by anyone to shoot this, rather I'll be posting the photos on my image bank. 

Any thoughts on US Immigration?

Thanks

Offline Richard Ernst

• Retired Professional
    • Email
Re: Shooting a Sports Event in the US on Spec - US Immigration?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Dave,

Just answer all their questions truthfully and hope they let you in.

It's really up to them whether or not you are allowed into the United States.

Ric.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:12 PM »
They could ask you for a carnet and even a visa.

Whether they ask for a carnet is really hit-and-miss. Many border folks are unaware of it. Canada Border Services generally requires incoming foreign photographers to have a carnet.

I know some Canadian photographers entering the US have been asked for a visa but then were allowed in without one. The US government says that "Citizens of Canada and Bermuda do not generally require visas to enter the United States as members of the press or media working in the United States."

The border people also have the right to search/seize any electronic device you have. If you don't need a laptop, leave it at home.

Just follow Ric's answer above.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Dave Holland

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:19 PM »
Thanks guys,

I have an email in to the consulate here in Calgary.  I saw the statement saying 'do not generally require visas' but it is a pretty loose statement. 

I've never needed a carnet for anything I've done and I've been through the US a few times with lots of gear.  Been pulled into secondary twice but no big deal.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Alicia Wynter

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 01:21 AM »
I just asked a similar question.

I'm going down in May for the Sports Shooters Academy workshop.  I wouldn't need a visa or a carnet (never heard of that) would I?