Author Topic: October East Clip results  (Read 235 times)

Offline Walter Strong

• Professional
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
October East Clip results
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:12 PM »
JUDGES

Elise Manahan, Greensboro News & Record
Andrew Krech, Greensboro News & Record
Scott Muthersbaugh, Independent 

Judges’ comments after section heads.
Feature

First - Nice image with good color and angle. Would have liked some more information in the caption such as where this picture was taken and more about the story behind it.
Second - Good reaction and layers.
Third - A nice moment of a prominent figure and his son.
HM - Well framed with nice colors.

1. Bernard Brault - La Presse

A worker from Guatemala seen in the water pulls cranberries to a vacuum during the harvest day.

2. Carlos Osorio - Toronto Star

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 7  -   Fans cheer the last out of the 8th inning in game 2 of the ALDS between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Texas Rangers at Nathan Philips Square which has been dubbed "The Nest" during the post season. October 7, 2016.

3. Justin Tang - Freelance

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, dressed as the Pilot from The Little Prince, and his son Hadrien, dressed as the Little Prince, have a treat after trick-or-treating at Rideau Hall, on Halloween, Monday, Oct. 31, 2016 in Ottawa.

HM. Ryan Pfeiffer - Metroland

OSHAWA -- The moon is framed by fall foliage. Oct. 19, 2016.

Spot News

Carried over to next month, not enough entries.

News

Carried over to next month, not enough entries.

Sports

First - Nice celebration with emotion from the team and fans in the same frame
Second - A solid peak action shot with both faces and the puck in motion
Third - A different type of sports shot, almost fine art style. Nicely framed.
HM - A frame in which shooting the batter paid off.  Funny moment.
HM- Great reaction but it could have used a tighter crop.

1. Mark Blinch - Freelance

Toronto Blue Jays celebrate their walk-off win to eliminate the Texas Rangers during the tenth inning to win the American League Division Series in Toronto on Sunday, October 9, 2016.

2. Ryan Pfeiffer - Metroland

OSHAWA -- Guelph Storms' Isaac Ratcliffe snuck the puck past Oshawa Generals' Kyle Keyser during the first period of their Ontario Hockey League game at the General Motors Centre. The Gens rallied from a 3-0 first period deficit to beat the Storm 5-4 in overtime. Oct. 23, 2016. 

3. Mark Blinch - Freelance

Russia's Evgenia Medvedeva peforms during the 2016 Skate Canada International exhibition gala in Mississauga, Ont., on Sunday, October 30, 2016.

HM Carlos Osorio

CLEVELAND, OH - Blue Jays Russell Martin fouls off a pitch during the ALCS game between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Cleveland Indians at Progressive Field on October 14, 2016.

HM Ryan Pfeiffer - Metroland

OSHAWA -- Pickering Trojans' players, from left, Lauren Pim, Mackenzie Simpson, Erin Kappel, and Brianna Wong celebrated the clinching shootout goal against the Dunbarton Spartans in the LOSSA field hockey final at the Oshawa Civic Fields. The Trojans beat the Spartans 2-0 in a shootout to win the gold medal. Oct. 26, 2016.

Portrait

First - Nice light and telling body language.
Second - Good moment and framing.
Third - Nicely lit
HM- Well framed and good context but pose was awkward.

1. Nick Iwanyshyn - Maclean’s Magazine   

In the fall of 1970, two boys ran away from the St. Mary's residential school. Their plan was to walk home to Grassy Narrows First Nation, an 85-km trek. They froze to death and arrived in coffins instead.
Canadians should know about my brother and Phillip,” says Catherine Taypaywaykejick, Roderick’s sister, who was 15—and a fellow student at St. Mary’s—when the boys died. “I hope people know what we went through, and that some survivors are still here.”

2. Mark Blinch - Freelance

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 15: Toronto Maple Leafs legend Dave Keon looks on as his number is retired during the opening ceremony for the Leafs 100th season at the Air Canada Centre on October 15, 2016 in Toronto, ON, Canada.

3. Mark Blinch - Freelance

Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau poses for a picture in Toronto, Ontario, Canada October 7, 2016.

HM Carlos Osorio - Toronto Star

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 28  - 
Darrell Dorsk owner of The Green Iguana Glassworks.
Artists and merchants on Markham St. -- who enjoyed cheap rents for decades thanks to former owner Ed Mirvish -- have to vacate their shops by the end of January to make way for a major redevelopment.
 October 28, 2016.

Multipic

First - Nice collection of images that told the story of a town in the midst of a contentious election.
Second - An interesting subject with good close ups. Could have used more variety in shots.
Third - Nice emotional portraits. After reading through the captions we were left confused about what the entire story was about.

1. Nick Iwanyshyn - Maclean’s Magazine

Voters in northeastern Ohio’s Ottawa County live in what is, by all appearances, an unremarkable area of Midwestern farmland: long, flat country roads strewn with roadkill, corn fields to the horizon, and marinas and campgrounds along the Lake Erie shoreline.

A man washes his truck in Ohio's Carroll township precinct—almost 1,000 registered voters who do have a perfect run going back to ’64. The voters of Carroll 1 have split from the rest of the township (but not the county) three times since 1980, voting Republican each time when everyone else stuck with the Democrats.

Democratic campaign volunteer Fay Bolander at the Ottawa County party headquarters. Ottawa County has picked the winning presidential nominee in every election since 1964—that’s 13 in a row.

Taylor Rollins stands on the sidelines during a game against Oak Harbor, October 7, 2016. The Port Clinton senior fights limitations as a female kicker on the school's football team. Records indicate the last time the team won every game of the season was 1960, the same year the county voted out of sync with the nation and picked Nixon over Kennedy.

Port Clinton residents cheer on the local high school football team, the Redskins, who are undefeated for the first time since anybody can remember.

The Americans who call this place home largely don’t know it, but their little corner of the United States—only a stone’s throw from the Canadian border and right between Toledo and Cleveland—is the centre of American politics.

Carolyn Adams, the county Republican chair, was trying to ignore the hubbub. She predicts the “winds of change” are blowing, and forecasts a “tremendous shift” in the county that twice offered its blessing to Obama. Any mention of Clinton invites derision. “I…oh my God…I’m appalled by her,” says Adams. “I’m appalled by the lying.”

Annual Oak Harbor Apple Festival was filled with political chatter. At the Republican tent, the buzz was all about Trump’s latest crisis: the 2005 audiotape in which the candidate bragged about grabbing women by the genitals; the apology that followed; and the denial of his own words during a town-hall debate two days later. Supporters grabbed Trump-Pence signs and T-shirts, and mocked the Democrats across the street.

Distillery owner and Oak Harbor mayor Joe Helle. Helle’s concern is his village, and he sees none of the people around him reflected in the race for the White House. “Everywhere you go, if you talk about the election, it’s going to be Trump versus Clinton, no holds barred,” he says. “I think that does a disservice to the community.”

Supporters grabbed Trump-Pence signs and T-shirts, and mocked the Democrats across the street.

2. Bernard Brault - La Presse

A group of participants are reunited in the forest of Chertsey, Quebec to collect mushrooms. After, they had a lunch and they analyzed the harvest. Joseph Nuzzolese explains the rule to the group.

Mushroom specimens.

Joseph Nuzzolese is seen looking at a mushroom.

Joseph Nuzzolese looks through a loupe at a mushroom.

Mushroom specimens.

Joseph Nuzzolese look at a mushroom he discovered.

A participant makes a picture of a mushroom.

Some of the collection of the day.

Some of the collection of the day.

3. Nick Iwanyshyn - Maclean’s Magazine

In the fall of 1970, two boys ran away from the St. Mary's residential school. Their plan was to walk home to Grassy Narrows First Nation, an 85-km trek. They froze to death and arrived in coffins instead. To the right is Jones Road, the winding route to Grassy Narrows; to the left is Lount Lake Road, the wrong way. The boys veered left.

“I will never forget that,” says Steve Fobister, 64, a member of the search team who found the boys frozen to death. “James picked up his son and stood him up—it was like standing up a board, he was so stiff—and he brushed the snow off his body. He was crying uncontrollably. Even the police, they couldn’t hold back their tears.”

The rock where Roderick’s body was found. “There it is,” says Steve Fobister, a member of the search, pointing out the window. Only a few metres from the dirt road, but Steve is too rickety to reach it anymore.

More than 3,200 kids died inside residential schools, and hundreds of the dead remain unidentified, their names never properly recorded.

Clifford Swain was forced to return to St. Mary’s after his brothers death, but the pain and the anger overwhelmed him. No one ever apologized to his face. And although he had no idea they were going to run away—not the slightest clue—he was still crippled with guilt for not protecting him. “I wish I could turn back the clock,” he says. “I should have done something. I do feel it was my responsibility to look after him.”

What remains of St. Mary’s Indian Residential School on the outskirts of Kenora.

Douglas Swain was five years old at his brothers funeral. He is 51 now. “I still remember like it was yesterday,” he says, sitting at his kitchen table in Grassy Narrows. “As a little kid, I just wanted to get inside that little casket and try to get him out.”

Grassy Narrows has long been a heartbreaking place, a reserve so ravaged that it’s difficult to diagnose the beginning of its breakdown. Many point to the mid-1960s, when Ottawa convinced the band to relocate from its ancestral land into prefab houses so close together—and linked to a Kenora-bound road—that it forever disrupted the community’s roots as hunters and gatherers.

Canadians should know about my brother and Phillip,” says Catherine Taypaywaykejick, Roderick’s sister, who was 15—and a fellow student at St. Mary’s—when the boys died. “I hope people know what we went through, and that some survivors are still here.”

Standings

Name:
Mark Blinch
Bernard Brault
Carlos Osario
Nick Iwanyshyn
Justin Tang
Ryan Pfeiffer
Cole Burston
Patrick Woodbury
Andrew Lahodynskyj
Ken Armstrong