Author Topic: Value of having a photo dept.  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
    • www.warrentoda.com
    • Email
Value of having a photo dept.
« on: November 04, 2016, 12:44 AM »
A comparison of World Series front pages from the Chicago Tribune (which has a photo dept.) and the Chicago Sun-Times (which laid off its entire photo dept a few years ago).

Note that the AP photo used by the Sun-Times was shot by a remote camera.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
    • mostlymonochrome
Re: Value of having a photo dept.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:39 AM »
While having a staffer there would have been great, this example, as has been hashed over on FB, is a prime example of poor editing. I think the photo itself is fine as a complimentary to the tight shots. Petapixel is trolling for hits with this one imo

Fred

Offline Andy Clark

• Inactive Member
  • Gibsons, B.C.
    • Clarkfoto
    • Email
Re: Value of having a photo dept.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 12:43 PM »
I couldn't agree more with Fred...this is bad photo editing. The fact Sun-Times got rid of its photo staff was idiotic however even if they had that photo staff doesn't mean they would have sent a photographer to the Cleveland. I have seen many examples of newspapers not sending photographers to big sports or news events and relying on the Wires due to budget issues or whatever... even in their own cities!!... I saw several excellent Associated Press photos from the game that were way better than the one the Sun-Times used so this was very bad photo editing nothing more......

A lost photojournalist slowly drifting into Antiquity...