Author Topic: July West Clips 2016 Results  (Read 586 times)

Offline Chad Hipolito

• Professional
  • Victoria
      • Hip Photography
      • Email
July West Clips 2016 Results
« on: October 04, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Judges

Briana Scroggins Visual Journalist at the Standard-Examiner

Emily Rose Bennett, Staff Photojournalist for the Grand Rapids Press and Statewide photojournalist for MLive.com,

Hollyn Johnson, Staff Photojournalist at the Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Photographers-16
Feature-48
News-18
Sports-23
Spot News- 11
Portrait-24
Multi-Photo-12 entries/163 photos

FEATURE

Comments: ERB:
I love the picture of the professional statue making his way downtown, faces past and he's homebound. Maybe he is, I don't know. Caption could use a lot more information. But the picture is a nice slice of life.
LOVE the picture of the Sheriff's officer walking across the beautiful geometric step thing. Simple and composed, frame well filled.
Horsies, nice, clean frame.

BS:
First place was one of the best moments in the whole contest.  I like the information behind the image, which I think is cool on top of the moment.
Second place, I appreciate your patients.

HJ:
LRH nailed it with the decisive moment of a moment (haha) in the first place image.
I like a lot of these in a just plain visual sense.  I feel like some would do well in a “Pictorial” category.

1. Leah Hennel/The Calgary Herald

Syrian refugee Batoul Abboud, 17, right, tries her first mini donut at the Stampede.

2. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press

A cowboy is reflected in a puddle left by heavy rains as he walks down the midway at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Saturday, July 9, 2016.

3. Leah Hennel/The Calgary Herald

Steven Wolftail from Piikani and Stoney Nation applies war paint before riding with six other braves to kick-off the rodeo at the Stampede.

H. M. Evan Buhler/Salmon Arm Observer

As the sun sets, a pair of friends transfer a recently caught fish into a net at the Salmon Arm wharf in Salmon Arm, B.C. on Friday, July 1.

H. M. Evan Buhler/Salmon Arm Observer

Actors and puppeteers from Runaway Moon perform Robin and the Magical Forrest at Theatre on the Edge in Salmon Arm, B.C. on Saturday, July 23. Seven plays were performed over the three-day  theatre festival at the Shuswap Theatre.

H. M. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press

Riders and their horses pass through a canola field as they take an afternoon trail ride near Cremona, Alta., Tuesday, July 19, 2016. Canola is a contraction of Canada and ola, meaning oil. To earn the name canola, products must meet an internationally regulated standard. The world's healthiest vegetable oil is extracted from the seeds of the canola plant.

H. M. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press

Ross Maxwell, also known as the Bronze Cowboy, walks through the downtown during the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alta., Tuesday, July 12, 2016.

NEWS

Comments: Unanimous immediate agreement on first place image.

ERB:
Weakest category of the bunch. First frame is interesting. Second is helped by knowing the background. Third is a moment.

BS:
First place locked in immediately for me.  The newsworthiness, the colors and layers work wonderfully.  And I like the second place as well, but would really suggest a crop that shows the back half of the hearse and the men.  I don't know what the woman adds and it just looks like they are following a woman past a hearse.

HJ:
The mood of the first place image is what got me.  I agree that it is a weak category.

1. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press

Police search a rural area in the disappearance of a five-year-old Calgary girl, Taliyah Marsman, near Chestermere, Alta., Thursday, July 14, 2016.

2. Darryl Dyck/The Globe and Mail

Mourners walk behind a hearse carrying the body of Lt. Col. Pritam Singh Jauhal to a crematorium, after his funeral at the Valley View Funeral Home in Surrey, B.C., on Sunday July 3, 2016. Mr. Jauhal, a Second World War veteran who later fought for the right of Sikh men to wear a turban in the Royal Canadian Legion’s halls died recently at about 95-years old (the exact day of his birth, in rural Punjab, was not recorded at the time). He spent 38 years in the Indian Army and Central Reserve Police Force, retiring with the rank of lieutenant-colonel before immigrating to Canada to be with his children in 1980.

3. Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press

John Nuttall, back, and Amanda Korody embrace each other at B.C. Supreme Court after they were released from custody after a judge ruled the couple were entrapped by the RCMP in a police-manufactured crime, in Vancouver, B.C., on Friday July 29, 2016. Justice Catherine Bruce said police instigated and skillfully engineered the very terrorist acts committed by John Nuttall and Amanda Korody, who believed they were planting pressure-cooker bombs that would blow up at the legislature on Canada Day in 2013.

H. M. Taehoon Kim/Freelance

Hannah Darling hugs a teammate during Rugby Canada's Women's Sevens Rio 2016 team announcement in Victoria, B.C., on July 8, 2016. The Canadian women went on to win the bronze medal in the first ever Rugby Sevens tournament at an Olympic Games.

SPORTS

Muddy dramatic pain. Ouch. That's the shot right there.

BS:
If this clip contest had a Best of Show, I'd pick the first place image, hands down.  The photo is immaculately timed, is beautiful, funny and terrifying all at the same time.  I shared it with other photogs in my office. Second has a great moment.

HJ:
I love the tension in the third place photo.

1. Leah Hennel/The Calgary Herald

Cody Ballard from Regina gets stepped on by Lazuli Skies after he bucked off in novice saddle bronc riding at the Stampede.

2.  David Bloom/Edmonton Sun

Gabriela Stafford (right) is congratulated by Hilary Stellingwerff after Stafford won the 1500m Senior Women Final during the 2016 Canadian Track and Field Championships at Foote Field, in Edmonton on Saturday July 9, 2016.

3. Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press

Vancouver Whitecaps' Christian Bolanos, back, kicks the ball as Colorado Rapids' Marc Burch attempts to get his head on it during the second half of an MLS soccer game in Vancouver, B.C., on Saturday July 9, 2016.

SPOT NEWS

Comments: BS:
I unintentionally turned spot news into a beauty pageant.  I went with the first two images due to their atheistics.  The third is a great image.  I love that the photographer was there right away and I enjoy seeing first responders caring for people in need.

HJ:
I thought this category was kind of weak.  SAM, way to get there at peak action!

1. Lyle Aspinall/Postmedia

Police walk through a canola field east of Calgary, Alta., on Thursday, July 14, 2016. HAWC, the Calgary Police Service helicopter, was flying over a very wide area in the Chestermere, Conrich and Delacour areas east of Calgary, with police vehicles following along, as the search for five-year-old Taliyah Marsman continued.

2. Shane MacKichan/for Burnaby Now

Firefighter waits for water at scene of fire in a vacant commercial structure on Kingsway July 12th

3. Shane MacKichan/Freelance

Firefighters tend to a male who was accidentally shot in the back on July 28th in Surrey. A gun had gone off injuring two people on 135A St, both with non life threatening injuries

PORTRAIT

First image is the most visually appealing.

BS:
First and second place, thank you for showing me something that is unique. First place, cool photo, but no name?!? tsk tsk tsk.  Second, way to plan ahead for something cool.  Third, nice light and caption info. I would like to know if he was just standing there or if it was posed.

HJ:
I was pulling for you, PRTJulKRL1.  Living and working in Hawaii, I know what it is like to stop your day and get in the water for a photo.  The extra effort and planning was worth the first place for me.  I like your image too, PRTJulJZM4.  I just wish I knew what her story was about.  PRTJulyLRH3, classic.

1. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press

A young girls looks out through a glass paneled door at a home near Cremona, Alta., July 11, 2016.

2. Kevin Light/Freelance

Ironman triathlete Brent McMahon swims toward the camera for a portrait at Elk Lake in Victoria B.C. on July 14, 2016.

3. Leah Hennel/The Calgary Herald

Keegan Nelson, 14, will be competing at the Stampede in steer riding on July 9 and hopes to make it all they to the finals.

H.M. Dave Holland/Freelance

Heptathletes Rachael McIntosh and Nikki Oudenaarden pose for a dramatic portrait at the Canadian Sport Institute high performace facilities in Calgary, Alberta on July 4, 2016.

MULTI-PHOTO

Comments:

ERB:
Indifferent about the others. Too many images. But I do have a comment about Entry 3.

**Entry 3: The captions are seriously lacking in care to the people being photographed. A more informative and careful caption could read: "Batoul Abboud, 17, right, laughs as she tries her first mini donut while attending the annual Stampede at so-and-so-city, in Canada, Sat. July 14, 2016. Abbdoul, a recent refugee from Town, Syria, moved here with her family for [the following reasons]. "[quote about her feelings/expierience/etc]"."

The captions are lazy and show a disregard towards the subjects as merely "Syrian refugees". What's the purpose behind noting that they're refugees if the coverage is merely of a family enjoying the stampede? "Syrian refugee" isn't a title.

Was there something special about this stampede? Was it designed to specifically welcome refugees to the community?

BS:
Dear photo friends, For the love of Leica EDIT THESE DOWN!  Oh man, you want to leave the viewer wanting more… not wanting less.  Please feel free to email me/dropbox me stories and I will happily help you narrow things down.  (bscroggins@standard.net) There was a lot of redundancy in the multi picture package.
  I have the willpower of a saint to not make any puns on the first place winner.  Way to get a variety of images, while being as PG as you can be.  You found a unique story and you get extra bonus points for humor.
Third place nice visual variety, but your edit is far too large. You could do a lot more with less. 

HJ:
I agree with ERB about Entry 3’s captions.  I don’t like writing just as much as the next photog, but more care into the assignment was definitely needed.

1. Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press

Participants sprint from the start line during the Bare Buns Run, a 5 km clothing optional run, at Wreck Beach in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday July 17, 2016. Proceeds from the run help fund the Wreck Beach Preservation Society whose mandate is to preserve Wreck Beach, Canada's first and largest clothing-optional beach, in as nearly a natural state as possible.

Participants run past a tidal pool during the Bare Buns Run, a 5 km clothing optional run, at Wreck Beach in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday July 17, 2016. Proceeds from the run help fund the Wreck Beach Preservation Society whose mandate is to preserve Wreck Beach, Canada's first and largest clothing-optional beach, in as nearly a natural state as possible.

Spectators watch as runners participate in the Bare Buns Run, a 5 km clothing optional run, at Wreck Beach in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday July 17, 2016.

A Canadian Coast Guard hovercraft passes in the distance behind runners competing in the Bare Buns Run, a 5 km clothing optional run, at Wreck Beach in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday July 17, 2016.

Men run across tidal flats while participating in the Bare Buns Run, a 5 km clothing optional run, at Wreck Beach in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday July 17, 2016.

Sunbathers watch as participants run across tidal flats during the Bare Buns Run, a 5 km clothing optional run, at Wreck Beach in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday July 17, 2016. Proceeds from the run help fund the Wreck Beach Preservation Society whose mandate is to preserve Wreck Beach, Canada's first and largest clothing-optional beach, in as nearly a natural state as possible.

Medals for participants in the Bare Buns Run, a 5 km clothing optional run, are displayed on a table at Wreck Beach in Vancouver, B.C., on Sunday July 17, 2016.

2. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press

A squirrel appears the ride the nose of a bull on a float during the Calgary Stampede parade in downtown Calgary, Friday, July 8, 2016.

A member of the Mexican delegation twirls her dress during the Calgary Stampede parade in Calgary, Friday, July 8, 2016.

A member of the Mexican delegation smiles during the Calgary Stampede parade in Calgary, Friday, July 8, 2016.

Doug Rogers rides a bull named Wild West Willie during the Calgary Stampede parade in Calgary, Friday, July 8, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS

Members of the Canadian Armed Forces march during the Calgary Stampede parade in Calgary, Friday, July 8, 2016.

A Poutine Corn Dog at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Saturday, July 9, 2016.

A cowboy is reflected in a puddle left by heavy rains as he walks down the midway at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Saturday, July 9, 2016.

A ride attendant looks on as patrons enjoy the midway attractions at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Saturday, July 9, 2016.

A couple watch a  ferris wheel as they  enjoy the midway attractions at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Saturday, July 9, 2016.

Pancakes are cooked at the annual Premier's Stampede Breakfast in Calgary, Alta., Monday, July 11, 2016.

Ross Maxwell, also known as the Bronze Cowboy, walks through the downtown during the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alta., Tuesday, July 12, 2016.

Police officers compare notes at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alta., Friday, July 15, 2016.

at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alta., Sunday, July 17, 2016.

Visitors walk the midway after a rain storm at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alta., Sunday, July 17, 2016.

Smokers in the rain at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alta., Sunday, July 17, 2016.

Young cowboys and cowgirls salute the crowd after competing in the wild pony race at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alta., Sunday, July 10, 2016.

3. Leah Hennel/Calgary Herald

Keegan Nelson, 14, will be competing at the Calgary Stampede in steer riding on July 9 and hopes to make it all they to the finals.

The Nelson brothers, Dawson, 16, left and Keegan, 14, dream of competing in the Professional Bull Riding circuit, but first they're getting seasoned at smaller rodeos like the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

The Nelson brothers, Dawson, 16, left and Keegan, 14, chat with friend and fellow steer rider Riley Sibbet, 14, at the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

Keegan Nelson, 14, applies rosin to his bull rope before competing in steer riding at the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

Dawson Nelson, 16, checks out the steer he will be riding during the Nanton Nite Rodeo in Nanton.

Riley Sibbet, 14, left, and Dawson Nelson, 16, stretch before competing in Steer Riding at the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

Nick Bentley gets ready to ride in saddle bronc during the Nanton Nite Rodeo in Nanton.

Steer rider Riley Sibbet, 14,  waits for his ride at the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

Ryan McGonigal, right, walks the back chutes  during the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

Laurie Nelson, 63, helps his grandsons behind the chutes at the Nanton Nite Rodeo. Nelson competed in Saddle bronc and is now helping his grandkids achieve their dreams.

Keegan Nelson, 14, practices his roping before competing in numerous events at the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

Dawson Nelson, 16, rests after a long day of competing at the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

A saddle bronc riders gear at the Nanton Nite Rodeo.

Final judges comments:

BS:
Over all a lot of cool work.  Photogs always get more critique than praise in contests… sorry about that.  Seriously though, there really is some great work in here.  I love seeing new things and having the chance to see through your eye. 
I can't wait to see what you do next. Please feel free to send me edits if you are interested. 
Thank you for the submitting, documenting your communities and inspiring me to be a better photographer.

HJ:
Good work, everyone!

2016 CURRENT STANDINGS:                      MONTH…TOTAL

1. Darryl Dyck/Freelance…150…1230
2. Kevin Light/Freelance…40…600
3. Leah Hennel/Calgary Herald…190…570
4. Jeff Mcintosh/The Canadian Press…200…490
5. David Bloom/Edmonton Sun…70…350
 6. Taehoon Kim…10…250
7. Mikaela MacKenzie/Freelance…0…230
8. Lyle Aspinall/Postmedia…50…210
9. Chad Hipolito…0…210
10. Shane MacKichan/Freelance…70…200 
11. Crystal Schick/Freelance…0…190
12. Dave Holland/Freelance…0…190 
13. Michelle Berg/The Star Phoenix...0...130
14. Daniel Crump/The Uniter …0…100
15. Tijana Martin/Lethbridge Herald…0…80
16. Evan Buhler/Salmon Arm Observer…20…70
17. Liam Richards/Saskatoon StarPhoenix…0…30

(Edit: just fixed a couple of broken image links - Warren Toda)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:24 AM by Warren Toda »

Freelance Photographer
www.hipphotography.com