Author Topic: Google photo software  (Read 816 times)

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Google photo software
« on: March 25, 2016, 04:09 PM »
If you like photo software – and who doesn't – Google is now giving away its $150 Nik Collection. This is a set of Photoshop/Lightroom plugins that also work as standalone applications.

Before Google bought Nik, the software was around $500 USD. Upon buying the company, Google dropped the price to $150. This caused OnOne (now On1), a Nik competitor, to slowly drop its price from $400 to $180  $120 now $100.

I have no idea why Google is now giving away the software. The current version hasn't changed much in the past two years or so. Perhaps this software is going to be discontinued in favour of a mobile app the same way (desktop) Snapseed was discontinued.

Do download this software. It has some really good tools/presets (and, of course, some rather useless tools/presets).

Just to add: For you photographers out there  :) ,  watch how "free" affects the market.

A large company like Google "sells" for free and now all its competitors will suffer. Other photo software companies now have to work to compete with free. Perhaps they will succeed or perhaps they will cut back. If they cut back, we lose in the long run due to lack of competition and lack of innovation.

When a photographer works for free, they hurt themselves and other photographers. In the long run, it will also hurt photo customers who expect high quality at bottom-end prices. When these customers get what they pay for, they end up blaming all photographers.

When I refer to photographers who work for free, I'm talking about those who work cheap because they think they'll get high volume and those who are "weekend warriors" and think they'll earn a couple of extra bucks by doing a cheap weekend job.

Update: The Google Nik Collection is "compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 through 10.10; Windows Vista, 7, 8; and Adobe Photoshop through CC 2015. We have no plans to update the Collection or add new features over time."

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 05:41 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Dominic Chan

• Professional
  • Toronto
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Personal Website
      • Email
Re: Google photo software
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 10:43 PM »
Thanks Warren!

For Nikon shooter who used to use Capture NX 4, Nik was the software that runs many of the feature Capture used to have and Nikon lost that when Nik was sold.

As for Google, this is typical of them. Years ago they did the same thing with website stats software called Urchin. They bought it, give it away, killed off competitors and now it is called Google Analytics. Exact same path.

Now I wonder if Nikon or Canon want to give away cameras...lol

Offline David Buzzard

• Inactive Member
  • Whistler BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • David Buzzard Photography
      • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Good business model.  Buy a valuable company with a loyal following, drop the price of the product down to zero, then wonder why it's not making money anymore. 

Freelance for the Whistler Question, Pique NewsMagazine, and the Squamish Chief

Offline Dominic Chan

• Professional
  • Toronto
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Personal Website
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:17 PM »
I wonder if the Getty marketing officer went to work for Google.

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 01:30 PM »
DxO today announced that it has bought the Nik Collection from Google. Google originally bought the software in 2012, neglected it for a few years, then gave it away for free and then killed it.

DxO said it will release a new version in mid-2018. However I doubt the new version will be free.

The old version of the Nik Collection is still available for free. But if you're on a Mac, it will not, on its own, install properly on OS 10.11 or newer but there is a workaround.

DxO is also giving away an unspecified version of its DxO Optics Pro 11 (there are two versions - an "essential" version and an "elite" version. The elite version has more tools). DxO Optics Pro 11 has just been replaced by newer software which uses some Nik technology.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:44 PM by Warren Toda »

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com