Author Topic: New(ish) and Looking for feedback  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Daniel Crump

• Professional
  • Winnipeg, MB
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Website
      • Email
New(ish) and Looking for feedback
« on: January 08, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have been a member for a year and a half and have foolishly spent most of that time lurking in the forum or not doing anything with my membership. After recently realizing that was a silly thing to do I've decided to become a more active member in 2016 and make some new contacts, if not friends via NPAC.

That being said, what better way to dive in than to throw my work to the wolves as it were by sharing my website in the critique forum. I am more interested in feedback about my pictures/portfolio than the quality of the site (though if there is anything that stands out like a soar thumb please do point it out). My main interest is getting involved with conflict and humanitarian work and I realize my portfolio is probably far from where it should be coming from a street photography background.

So... have at it... http://www.danielcrump.com

Please, if you can't be gentle at least be productive  :)

Looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully seeing many of the faces behind the forum at the conference in April.

Offline David Buzzard

• Inactive Member
  • Whistler BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • David Buzzard Photography
      • Email
Re: New(ish) and Looking for feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:44 PM »
It looks pretty good.  I think your B&W might be a little muddy, you could do to watch the shadows a bit, but that's just me.

If I could give you any advice, it would be to find some more compelling stories to apply your talents to.  I'm just not finding the subjects very interesting.

Editorial jobs are pretty tough to come by these days, but maybe you can find an on-line publication or something that could give you some structured assignments.  That's a really good way to expand the scope of your work.

Good luck.

Freelance for the Whistler Question, Pique NewsMagazine, and the Squamish Chief

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:53 AM »
The front-page picture is weak - a janitor at a closed shopping mall??

In the Stills section, many of the pictures need to be cropper better. Often there's extra stuff which has no connection to the main subject.

The problem with "Now and Then" is that each pair of pictures are displayed separately when they need to be together.

Why do you need a map on your Contact page? When the Google map doesn't load, the page is blank with no contact info at all. If you do click on the map, your contact info disappears. How about a plain Contact page that lists e-mail, phone number and just "Winnipeg"? Maybe add a photo or two. Also add a reason or two why folks should contact you.

Your site has almost no text. No text => almost invisible to search engines.

You've stripped all the EXIF data from your images. For what it's worth, you may want to leave some in.

Turn off W3 Total Cache debug info.

Offline Daniel Crump

• Professional
  • Winnipeg, MB
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Website
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:10 PM »
Thanks both of you for the feedback  :)

David

I think your B&W might be a little muddy, you could do to watch the shadows a bit, but that's just me.

Perhaps because most of the black and white images are scans from film? I will keep an eye on those blacks in the future.

maybe you can find an on-line publication or something that could give you some structured assignments.  That's a really good way to expand the scope of your work.

That is a great idea!! Any recommendations? As I said I'm newish and still in many ways transitioning from street to journalism. Asking silly questions always reminds me how much I still have to learn, but it's also the best way to learn.

Warren

The front-page picture is weak - a janitor at a closed shopping mall??

Recommendations for a stronger image?

In the Stills section, many of the pictures need to be cropper better. Often there's extra stuff which has no connection to the main subject.

I will keep an eye on that, thanks.

Your site has almost no text. No text => almost invisible to search engines.

SOI is a mystery to me. I'm currently working on a caption system for the photos that I am happy with and once that is solved there should be more text.

Turn off W3 Total Cache debug info.

Done!

Offline David Buzzard

• Inactive Member
  • Whistler BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:05 PM »
Perhaps because most of the black and white images are scans from film?

Take it from a guy who spent 10 years print B&W negatives for newspapers, go buy a decent digital camera right now and ditch the film.  Professionally, nobody wants to see it anymore.

With SEO, you want to have a minimum of 300 words in your lead page, not the photo captions, with lots of key phrases, like "Winnipeg photojournalist".

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
      • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:35 PM »
I have to ask David, why are you always dumping on film ? Are you aware that a number of new gen photojournalists use film for some of their long term projects ? and some older dudes as well ? Have you even talked to editors about film work because several I know welcome it.

We should be encouraging using formats other than digital in our work and if someone chooses that, then that's their thing.

So to the OP, use film, but understand why you want to use film (it's not a party trick and not a cool thing to do).

Fred

Offline Daniel Crump

• Professional
  • Winnipeg, MB
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Website
      • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Take it from a guy who spent 10 years print B&W negatives for newspapers, go buy a decent digital camera right now and ditch the film.  Professionally, nobody wants to see it anymore.

I have had many great digital cameras and almost all the assignment and client work that I do is digital (99.9%). I am not going to wade into the great "film v. digital v. who cares". It's irrelevant. My personal/street work will be film as long as is being produced (or maybe until I can afford an M Monochrom :P) and my "professional" work will use whatever format suits the job best be it digital, film or a monkey with a etch-a-sketch (keeping in mind monkeys can not hold their own copyrights ;)).

With SEO, you want to have a minimum of 300 words in your lead page, not the photo captions, with lots of key phrases, like "Winnipeg photojournalist".

Thanks! Would that be visible words or can they be tucked away in the code?

Offline David Buzzard

• Inactive Member
  • Whistler BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 08:54 PM »
You can tuck it away in the code, as long as you can get it in the right part of the body of the page.  Don't just dump a bunch of key words and phrases in, as search engines have algorithms to recognize that (don't ask me how they figure it out). I think people want to know what you're about, so I'd put it in the visible part of the web page.

I have to ask David, why are you always dumping on film ?
The same reason I don't ride a horse to work.  It would be cool, but I have places to go.  I'm just in the middle of digitalizing some of my slides and negatives from my days in South Africa, and what a schlep!

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
      • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 09:33 PM »
if I had a ton, I'd find someone to do the scanning. too much work, mind numbing work

Fred

Offline David Buzzard

• Inactive Member
  • Whistler BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 02:59 PM »
If there was something in for me other than a walk down memory lane, I'd farm it out.  I just set up an old iMac in my studio, and am slowly working through it. 

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 10:13 PM »
Quote from: Daniel Crump

Thanks! Would that be visible words or can they be tucked away in the code?

Quote from: David Buzzard
You can tuck it away in the code, as long as you can get it in the right part of the body of the page.  Don't just dump a bunch of key words and phrases in, as search engines have algorithms to recognize that (don't ask me how they figure it out).

Google is all-seeing and all-knowing.

Don't hide text in the code. Don't hide it on your page by using white text on a white page or by using 1pt text. Don't repeat key words over and over again on the same page.

Add meaningful text that will hopefully interest viewers of your site. And repeat. And repeat. Your site has to change from time to time otherwise Google will assume your site is dead (or just pining for the fjords).

If your web site is just a photo gallery then you can get away with just photos and captions. But if you're trying to run a business then you need much more; you need to sell yourself.

Edit: deleted some pictures.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:14 PM by Warren Toda »

Offline Daniel Crump

• Professional
  • Winnipeg, MB
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Website
      • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Thanks again guys!

Warren, good idea "swiping" and retooling the photos to illustrate your point. For me it's always easier to understand visuals that to read words on a page/screen. Thanks for taking the time to do that.