Author Topic: Portfolio Review - British Photographer Moving To Canada  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Ben Begley

• Inactive Member
  • London, U.K
    • Instagram
      • www.benbegleyphoto.com
      • Email
Hello all,

I'm a British photojournalist and cameraman.  I will be moving to Canada with my girlfriend later this year.   I would love to get a job as photographer/reporter even if its on a smaller newspaper.   I've applied for a couple of jobs that I have seen advertised but haven't had any response.

Any criticism or comments about my website would be very welcome.

http://www.benbegleyphoto.com

Thanks!!

Ben

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: Portfolio Review - British Photographer Moving To Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 03:53 AM »
Picture-wise, everything looks okay, Ben. No complaints about the pictures or videos.

As for the web site, may I humbly suggest:
• a bit bigger font size and maybe even a nicer font than Courier or Times New Roman. :)  All things equal, these fonts tend to look smaller than some other fonts.
• much more text throughout the site since search engines like that kind of thing.
• better, more descriptive html page titles.

You seem to have the video skills most papers want but, unfortunately, not many newspapers or TV stations are hiring.

Good luck.

Offline David Buzzard

• Inactive Member
  • Whistler BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • David Buzzard Photography
      • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:28 PM »
The CBC, the national broadcaster, just laid off something like 200 production staff across the country, and there's been layoffs of some highly regarded photographers from the national daily newspapers, so it's a really bad time to be coming in from outside looking for a job. 

Freelance for the Whistler Question, Pique NewsMagazine, and the Squamish Chief

Offline Ben Begley

• Inactive Member
  • London, U.K
    • Instagram
      • www.benbegleyphoto.com
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:58 AM »
Hi Warren,

Thanks for the kind words about my work.   I agree with the text and I'll try and update that.  I think my website looks a bit dated.   Has anyone had success with square space?  The templates look good.

With regards to the redundancies, I appreciate how difficult it will be to secure the same level of employment I have here in the UK.   My partner and I are going to keep an open mind and hopefully we can be useful to someone.

Ben

Offline Kenneth Armstrong

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • www.kennetharmstrong.ca
      • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 03:37 PM »
What city are you hanging your hat, Ben?

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Offline Ben Begley

• Inactive Member
  • London, U.K
    • Instagram
      • www.benbegleyphoto.com
      • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Hi Kenneth,

I'm traveling over with my girlfriend and we have flexible with where we will settle.

I used to live in Edmonton, and have some family in Montreal but we will go wherever there's the best chance of employment.  She's a also a journalist.

I assume Toronto and Vancouver are the best job markets?   Anywhere else you'd recommend?

Thanks,

Ben

Offline Kenneth Armstrong

• Professional
  • Sault Ste Marie, ON
      • www.kennetharmstrong.ca
      • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:34 PM »
If you're that flexible maybe have some conversations and find out which areas are under-serviced?

Instead of trying to break into two of the bigger markets which are probably already pretty saturated?

Just a thought.

--------------------

ken@kennetharmstrong.ca
www.kennetharmstrong.ca
Photographer
Sault Ste Marie

Offline Ben Begley

• Inactive Member
  • London, U.K
    • Instagram
      • www.benbegleyphoto.com
      • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Absolutely.  We have 6 months before we leave so posting on here is definitely part of the research to identify the best areas.   

I think we'd both be happy in a smaller market having worked in London for so long.  We're also keen to do multi-skilled positions to make us a bit more employable.

I shot my first ever assignment 10 years ago on the Gateway at the UofA so excited to get another chance to come back to Canada.

Offline Fred Lum

• Professional
  • wherever Starbucks app tells me to go
      • mostlymonochrome
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:24 AM »
and Vancouver and Toronto probably have the most expensive rental markets as well so keep that in mind.

Fred

Offline Jimmy Jeong

• Professional
  • Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • My Portfolio of Work
      • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 09:39 AM »
Hi Ben, welcome to the NPAC forums. Always great to meet a fellow Gateway alum. I'd recommend filling out your portfolio - some of your images on your blog are pretty strong. And include personal work or projects even if they haven't been published. And I think it's about time to get rid of your old Gateway clips in your published section. You can include editorial clients you've worked for in your bio section. Don't put up images just because it was published by a big paper - only put up the the best.

Jimmy Jeong
Portrait | Editorial | Sports Photographer
http://www.jimmyshoots.com
Twitter: @JimmyShootz

Offline Ben Begley

• Inactive Member
  • London, U.K
    • Instagram
      • www.benbegleyphoto.com
      • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the advice, the Gateway definitely gave me a good start.  I think you're right about the published section so I'll fix that.   

I have been working mostly for TV and shooting almost exclusively video for the last couple of years and as such I've kept my travel photography and personally projects mostly for my blog.   How do you think it's best to integrate them into my main site?  With a travel section? Or include them in an Editorial gallery?

I've always been under the impression that editors don't really care about personal projects or travel photography and that's why I've focused exclusively on my assignment work.

Thanks,

Ben