Author Topic: screen/monitor for photographers  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Stephanie Lamy

• Professional
  • Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Stephanie Lamy photography
      • Email
screen/monitor for photographers
« on: February 23, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Hi there
I am looking for a good computer screen under 300-400$ for mainly retouching photos.
What screens do you use and where do you usually buy them?
I had a couple of ref however I can't find them in any store around Vancouver.
After looking for a while, I thought that there might be someone here that could help.
So I'd really appreciate if you could tell me about your own experiences.
Thanks a lot for your inputs!
Have a great day
Stephanie

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:33 PM by Stephanie Lamy »

Available for freelance work
www.stephanielamy.com
Vancouver, BC, Canada
+1 778 227 0305

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: screen/monitor for photographers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 02:54 AM »
I think "good computer screen" and "under 300-400$" may be mutually exclusive.  :D

I use an NEC PA271W which is 27" and cost about $1600. It's wonderful and works great for picture editing**. But to be honest, I could have been just as happy with the 24" version of the same monitor. The difference in size  between the 24" and 27" is smaller than you might think. The 24" is about $1300 but sometimes goes on sale for $1200.

The way I see it, a monitor lasts about four years or so. That means a $1300 monitor costs less than $1 /day. A good monitor is as important to photo editing as good tires are important to a car.  ::)

The more expensive NEC monitors come with built-in colour calibration (called "Spectraview"). It's software plus a colorimeter tuned for the monitor.

NEC makes a variety of displays (the site has US prices) and they are sold in Canada. Since most photo software has a large number of tool palettes and other user interface stuff, a wider screen comes in handy. It's also nice if the monitor has built-in USB ports. I use them for headphones, iphone charger and card reader.

**The only problem with high resolution monitors is that most, if not all, photo software is not properly designed for these types of displays. With almost all photo software, the text, tool icons, sliders, etc., are tiny in size. Plus, many photo software companies follow the silly trend of using grey text on grey backgrounds which is tough to read. (A blog post on my site about this.)

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com

Offline Stephanie Lamy

• Professional
  • Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
      • Stephanie Lamy photography
      • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:41 AM »
Thanks for your input Warren
I know too well about the prices of good screens and was hoping that someone would have a solution for me :P
I still have hope that somewhere there is a correct one in that price range ;)

Available for freelance work
www.stephanielamy.com
Vancouver, BC, Canada
+1 778 227 0305

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Maybe something from Dell Canada? Some of its Ultrasharp monitors are/were pretty good. You need a screen that you can calibrate properly. It probably helps to see the monitor before you buy it.

If you decide to buy a colorimeter for calibration, that will add a couple hundred(?) dollars. If you buy something like a Colorchecker Passport, that's another $120.

Photographer in Toronto
info@warrentoda.com