Author Topic: After 8 months as a 2-way and dying for feedback  (Read 5513 times)

Jeff Peters

After 8 months as a 2-way and dying for feedback
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:50 PM »
The title says it all really - having graduated from Loyalist class of 2013. I have been working as a reporter/photographer in Lloydminster Alta. I get very little feedback these days and I would love any advice or comments. Also thinking of taking a kick at freelancing in Saskatoon, any advice on that front?

- http://jeffpeters.4ormat.com/

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:41 PM by Jeff Peters »

Offline Chad Hipolito

• Professional
  • Victoria
      • Hip Photography
      • Email
Re: After 8 months as a 2-way and dying for feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Hi Jeff, for starters you might want to start participating in the NPAC clips contest. Being that you’re fresh out of college, it will in the very least expose you to the rest of Canada’s photojournalism community.

Freelancing hasn’t been easy. There are many challenges. For one you’re self-employed and running a business now. There’s still a lot more to learn.  The market is saturated with photographers. You have no dental or medical plan, but you can write off almost everything. Find a good accountant.

My education is photojournalism, but it’s only a small percentage of what I actually shoot. Though my job mostly produces still images, I’ve learned to diversify my skills and add videography/editor to my resume. Desktop publishing is an asset too.

It never ends. You’re always looking to maintain and increase your sales.

It’s very important to network, be social. I attend monthly business meet-ups with other creative types that have led to annual jobs. Always carry business cards. Seek out companies you would like to shoot for and stop by with some stationary. 

I left a weekly in Red Deer back in 2009 for the west coast. I’ve been freelancing here since.  It was slow going at the beginning, but business has increased every year. Try to stay positive, even on the shittiest of days. Just get out and shoot!

As much as I wanted to be a full-time staff photojournalist., be realistic. The dailies aren’t hiring.

About your site. It’s clean, simple and easy to navigate. It’s all about the photography. I think you’re off to a good start.

A few sports images could be cropped tighter and some can be removed. I’m seeing images that could be in people or singles. Maybe a different category?

Your URL is a mouthful and not easy to remember. Register a domain, and look for hosting, it’s essential to your business and you can write it off!   

Hope some of this helps.

Freelance Photographer
www.hipphotography.com

Jeff Peters

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:14 AM »
Chad, First off, nice to meet you.  Thank you very much for your detailed response! I certainly do need a lot more time to really hone in what I want to do and how to go about it. But freelancing is something I see myself doing, I just want to better understand when are check lists to hit before you jump off into that world from steadier kind of work, and while I have the stability I should make every effort to better understand the business end of things rather then going in head over feet and failing miserably.

Not to get too pushy but what images do you feel should go? What should I be cropping and what would you like to see more/less of?

Thanks again!
Jeff

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:40 AM »
Web site thoughts:

Like Chad mentioned, get your own domain name and web hosting so you can control (almost) everything. This is only way to build up a stable, long term web presence. It's the only way for you to build up and benefit from search engine ranking.

It's not obvious which way the pages scroll because the scroll bar disappears on a larger screen. Page titles should contain better search engine friendly words. Maybe increase the spacing between images.

One of the problems with the Web is that everyone has a different viewing device which affects how your web site looks. On my 27" monitor, the 11px text on your Contact page and Writing Portfolio page is almost unreadable.

Search engines see text. Your site has virtually no text. Do the math.  :)

Photo thoughts:

The tearsheets and your Tumblr site have some better pictures than your regular web site.

Pay attention to the backgrounds and foregrounds, and not just your main subject. Some pictures have far too much distracting stuff which should have been cropped off in camera or you should have shot from another angle.

As Chad mentioned, several pictures need to be cropped better. Sometimes empty space can add to a picture but sometimes it's just empty space.  A few other pictures have people's feet or legs cut off where they really do need to be shown.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:37 PM by Warren Toda »

Offline Jack Simpson

• Inactive Member
  • Vancouver, BC
      • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I don't shoot
enough (anymore) to offer much advice on pics or websites I would recommend, if you're
not already doing it, coming to the NPAC Conference in Vancouver next month.

In particular, the Portfolio Review and the Speakers (Damon Winter *NYTimes),
 Barbara Davidson(LATimes) and Christopher Wahl) might be interest to you :)
And, as mentioned by Chad,  the networking with photogs might be helpful even
though, ironically, Chad won't be making this year :o due to a scheduled shoot …
… nasty old work :)

Cheers,

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

MY BLOG: http://nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com/