Author Topic: Portfolio critique welcome  (Read 2577 times)

Justin Langille

« on: April 16, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Hey everyone,

My name is Justin Langille. I'm a Vancouver based freelance photojournalist who is glad to be a new member of the NPAC and the forums.

I've got a background in anthropology and graduated with a journalism diploma from Kwantlen Polytechnic University in Richmond, B.C. in 2010.
Over the past two years I've had my photography featured by Boreal Collective, The Tyee, Xtra! Vancouver, The Waterloo Record and others.

I'm primarily interested in doing news shooting, photo stories and documentary photography. After developing a new website from D-Photo, I have some brief portfolios up. The work is mostly from recent times shooting in and around Downtown Vancouver, but it also includes some work from as far back as the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

There is a broad singles section and some cursory looks at bigger bodies of work.

If anyone is willing to have a look and let me know what they think of the content and form of things, that would be great.
It's pretty simple, and I'm interested to know, for instance, if I should play things bigger, include more images in some galleries etc, less or more of various aspects.
Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

http://jmlphotojournalism.dphoto.com/#

If you're willing, thanks very much. Best, Justin

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:14 PM by Justin Langille »

Offline Warren Toda

• Administrator
  • Toronto
      • www.warrentoda.com
      • Email
Re: Portfolio critique welcome
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:25 AM »
Web site stuff first:

• The only text on your site is: "This gallery requires Flash Click here to install the Flash plug-in".

That's not going to help your photography business. No one will ever search "Flash plug-in"  or "Click here" to find a photographer. Search engines need "real" text and not text inside Flash.

•  The white page on Bio/Contact almost looks as if it reads right-to-left. While you may want a stylish layout, there's no reason to make it more difficult than need be.

• No need for the download links on Bio/Contact. Downloading jpg'ed text is useless. Maybe make it a vCard?

Pictures:

• Several pictures need better editing: brightness, contrast, sharpness, cropping.

• Some pictures don't add any information to the story at hand. For example, in the Chilliwack Battle Rap series, one picture shows the side of someone's white jacket and the side of another person's dark jacket. Were you watching a fashion show?

Decide what's important to the story and then specifically go after that instead of passively shooting whatever passes in front of your camera. Remember, the reader wasn't there. You are their "window" to that event. The reader has no idea who, what, where, when or why anything happened. It's your job to show and explain.

• Every pixel in a picture is important. Composition is important. Be mindful of backgrounds, foregrounds and all four edges.  Examples:

• Local Bounty series: In the food co-op, how important are the empty bins in the back and the metal rails in the front?

• Occupy: A third of the Robin Hood photo is about the person's leg.

• Singles: In the mega job fair photo, how important are the garbage can, the exit sign, the water sign and the ReMax ad banner? Does the Cafe Zucchero photo need those two newspaper boxes and the empty sidewalk in the middle of the picture?

May 4: Edit - removed a bunch of sample pictures.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:18 AM by Warren Toda »

Justin Langille

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Hi Warren,

Sorry it's taken me a bit to respond.

Thanks so much for your careful constructive criticism and attention to detail.

Much appreciated as I continue to shoot independently and on assignment.

Very best, Justin